GRUB2 + MBR partition + UEFI device
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: GRUB2 + MBR partition + UEFI device Reply with quote

Because I need windows 7 32bit, I had no choice but to go with MBR partition table. the map was like this

/dev/sda1 WIN7 NTFS Primary
/dev/sda2 / EXT4 Primary
/dev/sda5 SWAP Logical
/dev/sda6 /boot Logical

I first installed windows7 32 bit and then gentoo x64. when the time came for the grub2, i got problems. In IRC they told my to use a "pc" flag for my grub and i did. but beyond that i don't know what to do. remember my device is UEFI and Grub 2 has to adjust. i manually edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and just add windows and linux in it.
the grub at the boot says; the partition that windows is in says there is not such a partition and the partition that the gentoo is in it says unknown file-system.
THANK YOU%
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, although your computer may have an EFI rather than a BIOS, the whole point of your setup is to boot in BIOS mode, using the EFI's Compatibility Support Module (CSM). You can think of the CSM as being to EFI a bit like what WINE is to Linux: It's a compatibility layer meant to let it run binaries meant for a different environment. The end result of this is that EFI issues really don't enter into the equation, except to the extent that you may need to fiddle with your firmware settings to get CSM (aka "legacy mode") support working. Chances are this part of the task is already done, though, since otherwise you wouldn't be seeing GRUB messages.

The "unknown filesystem" message from GRUB indicates that you haven't built a GRUB binary that includes the filesystem driver for whatever filesystem you used on the Linux /boot partition. I don't recall the exact commands used to build or install GRUB, offhand, so I can't tell you precisely what you need to do to fix this. I think you need to adjust the installation command, though.

I'm not sure what's happening with your Windows boot failure. In fact, it's not even clear from your description if this is a message from GRUB or from the Windows boot loader. I recommend you review it, write down the exact error message, and report it here. Also note any tell-tale changes in the fonts or other screen issues that might be clues about a handover from GRUB to the Windows boot loader.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot the minimal install cd or sysresccd and run
Code:
parted -l | wgetpaste
lspci -k | wgetpaste
and post the url's returned here.
krax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: RE: srs5694 Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure what's happening with your Windows boot failure. In fact, it's not even clear from your description if this is a message from GRUB or from the Windows boot loader

it is surly from grub because it says press any key to back to grub menu and it will.
So no hand off there at all.
and as far as that command goes please find it and tell me because the new wiki is really out of order in this matter. and the lack of info in there let me to the problem.
THANK YOU%
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot the minimal install cd or sysresccd and run
Code:
parted -l | wgetpaste
lspci -k | wgetpaste
and post the url's returned here.
krax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
parted -l | wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here: http://bpaste.net/show/114007/

Code:

lspci -k | wgetpaste
http://bpaste.net/show/114008/
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motherboard is not uefi, P8H77-I Motherboard , and the disk is formatted with an msdos label so your problem is old school.

If you want windows 7 back as soon as posiible: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
For gentoo (note that these steps will overwrite the windows mbr, if all goes well grub will have a menu entry to boot windows) boot the gentoo mninmal install or sysresc cd/dvd/usb, and enter the chroot, nominally:
Code:
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
then
Code:
nano /etc/portage/package.keywords
edit to include
Quote:
sys-boot/grub:2
then
Code:
nano /etc/portage/make.conf
edit to
Quote:
GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc"
then
Code:
emerge --ask sys-boot/grub:2 os-prober ntfs3g
then
Code:
ls -l /boot
verify that a kernel is listed and that the kernel name contains the word kernel or the word vmlinuz, then
Code:
grub2-install /dev/sda
os-prober
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
then make a graceful exit:
Code:
exit
cd
umount -l /mnt/gentoo/dev{/shm,/pts,}
umount -l /mnt/gentoo{/boot,/proc,}
reboot

krax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks DONAHUE;
First this motherbord is P8H77-V and it has a UEFI.
Second So there is no need to edit the grub manually?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need to edit grub2 manually, it is possible but discouraged

sorry, lspci said Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8H77-I Motherboard many times, tricked myself
tricked myself twice, the P8H77-I specifications do list uefi and i missed it
nonetheless uefi is not a player with the hard drive; hard drive being labeled msdos and not having an efi partition

Last edited by DONAHUE on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
sorry, lspci said Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8H77-I Motherboard many times, tricked myself
nonetheless uefi is not a player with the hard drive; hard drive being labeled msdos and not having an efi partition

To elaborate on this a bit: The ASUS P8H77-I (and presumably others in the same family) comes with UEFI firmware. (I happen to have one of these boards myself.) This firmware, like most modern EFIs, includes a Compatibility Support Module (CSM; aka BIOS compatibility or legacy support), which enables the computer to boot BIOS-mode OSes. The parted output you posted clearly indicates an MBR ("msdos") partition table. Because Windows ties the partition table type to the firmware type (BIOS-MBR; EFI-GPT), this means that Windows is booting in BIOS mode, using the CSM. The fact that you're booting a 32-bit Windows is further evidence of that; AFAIK, it's not possible to boot a 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit EFI, although you can boot a 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit BIOS-based computer. You could theoretically boot Linux in EFI mode and Windows in BIOS mode on this computer, but that would complicate your setup and provide few or no advantages. It sounds like your GRUB is set up to work in BIOS mode right now.

In other words, your motherboard does support EFI, but at the moment you're using it like a traditional BIOS-based motherboard, and you should treat it as such.
krax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Grub 2 background Reply with quote

another problem is the background. i foun the source of grub2-spalsh screen with is a archive of some pictues in TXZ format i think.
i put one of them in grub respective directory and put that in grub config but nothing happened.
What is the way?
krax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: !!!!!!noteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Reply with quote

os-prober
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

This two must be done inside the actual gentoo not the chroot environment inside other linux distro
OR
Mount the partition in which exist another OS properly and then issue these commands
krax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 2014 when I am writing this post the command changes to:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: