Syncing with Nexus 4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Syncing with Nexus 4 Reply with quote

After years of tilting at windmills I bought a smartphone, the Nexus 4.

On my desktop I use Orage calendar and claws-mail inside XFCE.

How do I keep calendar, mail and contacts synced with the phone, without using Google cloud services (or any cloud services, for that matter)?
darkphader
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncing with Nexus 4 Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
After years of tilting at windmills I bought a smartphone, the Nexus 4.

On my desktop I use Orage calendar and claws-mail inside XFCE.

How do I keep calendar, mail and contacts synced with the phone, without using Google cloud services (or any cloud services, for that matter)?

You may still be tilting at windmills. Cloud services is what these smartphones are all about. If you just want to sync with a local system on demand an IMAP server would take care of your email. Don't know much about iCal servers but there's probably one of those for Linux as well. Not sure about contacts.

Note that USB access to the Nexus 4 storage is via MTP, it is not seen as hard drive. I use ESS File Explorer to move data between my desktop and phone via wifi and never bother with the USB connection.

Basically without Google's cloud devices I would consider my Nexus 4 to be close to worthless and probably go back to using my dumb phone which is half the size, and at least a sixth the weight.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the GPS directions, web browsing and social media are easier on a smartphone than on a dumb phone :)

I understand that I may be asking too much, keeping multiple mobile devices (smartphone, laptop) in sync without some kind of data cloud -- just wanted to get ideas for workarounds. Thanks for your input.
forrestfunk81
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a server, you can run ownCloud on it. It is a cloud, but at least it is your cloud under your control ;-)
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the phone all day today, I've been pretty happy with it as a navigation tool and mobile interface to the websites that I use most often (my stockbrocker, Facebook, etc.) . Hardly used email, and my GTalk and Skype contacts were already on the cloud.

Unless I really miss the email and calendar functionality, I may avoid this problem altogether ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: