PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php
Imagine what would happen if government wasn't allowed to donate to itself, or if union employees weren't forced to donate against their will.

lol
Quote:
82 News Corp $13,209,687 59% 40%

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
The NRA is quite offensive so teachers are entitled to ask him not to wear that shirt to school.

The school has no dress code policy which bans such articles of clothing. The teacher was being arbitrary and capricious. Hardly an example we should be setting for kids. And frankly, the cop should know better.

++ Exactly.

I was in high school during the 90's punk revival and showed up to school sporting some brightly colored spiky hair. It did not violate school dress code policy. The principal of the school took me aside in the hallway and told me that I wasn't allowed to wear my hair this way. I recited the policy to him and asked him how it violated the dress code. He realized he was out-maneuvered because I had done my homework. As a last ditch effort to hide behind his authority in order to get his way, he told me to, "Just change it before you come back next week, so there's no further problems." I told him I would be happy to accommodate him if he could produce the policy I was violating. He walked wearily away and I never heard a peep out of him again regarding my hair. This is what this teacher should have done.

I'm also beginning to suspect that McGruff is really a second account managed by BK in an attempt to create the "ultimate-strawman." Either that, or he's just being confrontational for the point of being confrontational. Most of the liberals I know would be upset by this situation (even the really dumb extremists ones). They would be siding with the boy, not the teacher.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
aidanjt wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
The NRA is quite offensive so teachers are entitled to ask him not to wear that shirt to school.

The school has no dress code policy which bans such articles of clothing. The teacher was being arbitrary and capricious. Hardly an example we should be setting for kids. And frankly, the cop should know better.

++ Exactly.

I was in high school during the 90's punk revival and showed up to school sporting some brightly colored spiky hair. It did not violate school dress code policy. The principal of the school took me aside in the hallway and told me that I wasn't allowed to wear my hair this way. I recited the policy to him and asked him how it violated the dress code. He realized he was out-maneuvered because I had done my homework. As a last ditch effort to hide behind his authority in order to get his way, he told me to, "Just change it before you come back next week, so there's no further problems." I told him I would be happy to accommodate him if he could produce the policy I was violating. He walked wearily away and I never heard a peep out of him again regarding my hair. This is what this teacher should have done.

I'm also beginning to suspect that McGruff is really a second account managed by BK in an attempt to create the "ultimate-strawman." Either that, or he's just being confrontational for the point of being confrontational. Most of the liberals I know would be upset by this situation (even the really dumb extremists ones). They would be siding with the boy, not the teacher.

++ ++ ++

In my freshman year of high school (this was in the late 80's), I was pulled into the office for wearing an upside down cross around my neck. I was told that some students found it offensive. I told the VP that I found the cross offensive. So unless they were banned from wearing crosses, I would continue to wear mine upside down.

That was the last I ever heard of the issue.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO the principal appealed to your sense of decency, and finding you had none gave up.:P
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/18/the-14-year-old-kid-arrested-over-his-pro-nra-shirt-now-faces-a-year-in-jail/

Quote:

The West Virginia eighth-grader who was suspended and arrested in late April after he refused to remove a t-shirt supporting the National Rifle Association appeared in court this week and was formally charged with obstructing an officer.

As CBS affiliate WOWK reports, 14-year-old Jared Marcum now faces a $500 fine and a maximum of one year in prison.

The boy’s father, Allen Lardieri, is not pleased.

A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to school in former yugoslavia in late 70's and 80's there was this dress code where kids were all supposed to wear "state approved" blue overalls. The idea was to mask economic status. We kids hated it and ended up customizing it. Making holes in it, spilling paint, writing stuff, wearing pins, and eventually patches. We ended up looking like some strange Factory Workers Bikers Gang.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
When I went to school in former yugoslavia in late 70's and 80's there was this dress code where kids were all supposed to wear "state approved" blue overalls. The idea was to mask economic status. We kids hated it and ended up customizing it. Making holes in it, spilling paint, writing stuff, wearing pins, and eventually patches. We ended up looking like some strange Factory Workers Bikers Gang.
yup school uniform to not only identify what school a kid goes to BUT also so those of lower income do not feel outclassed. We have that in the UK. Only once you reach collage/6th (~16yo) form does the reasonable dress code rule apply
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.

Last edited by Naib on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, there are a lot of millenials, 47%ers, and the like who would facilitate an easier revolution.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dailycaller.com/search?q=jared+marcum
http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/28/charges-finally-dropped-against-eighth-grader-who-wore-nra-shirt-to-school/
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
http://dailycaller.com/search?q=jared+marcum
http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/28/charges-finally-dropped-against-eighth-grader-who-wore-nra-shirt-to-school/
You should read Naib's post above (or yours :P)
Quote:
(RELATED: The 14-year-old kid arrested over his pro-NRA shirt now faces a year in jail)

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year in jail for wrong t-shirt? WTF. This is getting insane.
Whatever happened to sending the kid to principle office and, you know, calling his parents?
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
A year in jail for wrong t-shirt? WTF. This is getting insane.
Whatever happened to sending the kid to principle office and, you know, calling his parents?
this. If a kid wears something controversial in the UK they are sent home. If they do it again they are suspended.

it is not a criminal thing UNLESS it contains hate speeches inciting violence (only area where free speech in the UK [and iirc US] is questionable)
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right. Any material promoting guns or gun culture should be banned in the same way that cigarette advertising is
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before. Americans are worried about the wrong amendments crumbling.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Quite right. Any material promoting guns or gun culture should be banned in the same way that cigarette advertising is

So why not do public beheading while we're at it?
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
banned if it is school policy sure, but jailed for breaking a school policy?
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
I've said it before. Americans are worried about the wrong amendments crumbling.
I guess the logic is as long as they still have the 2nd they can take back any rights. but right now they don't seem to be doing anything to protect their amendments, rather tweat that its wrong
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
juniper wrote:
I guess the logic is as long as they still have the 2nd they can take back any rights. but right now they don't seem to be doing anything to protect their amendments, rather tweat that its wrong

number 1 is being attacked here, and the current govt is shitting all over number 4. Those two are arguably the most important.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Naib wrote:
juniper wrote:

number 1 is being attacked here, and the current govt is shitting all over number 4. Those two are arguably the most important.
I agree, I am just saying the percieved logic here is #1 and #4 can be taken back with #2, so as long as #2 is religiously protected something can be done *IF* it goes too far.

real question is "too far" was some time ago and all that happened were tweats were sent

Did that NY gun march on July 4th occured?
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, people are up at arms because a teenager's 1st Amendment right to freedom of expression was violated. It just looks like 2nd Amendment blather because the stance he was expressing support for was the conservative understanding of the 2nd Amendment.

Also, we've got a pretty long and boisterous conversation going about Edward Snowden (I think he spawned 3 threads). The Edward Snowden case has deep implications with respect to the 4th Amendment.

Hell, Muso even went after the 10th Amendment which is kind of a catch all that says that states will govern on any issue that isn't specifically spelled out in the constitution, recently.

The Constitution (the whole thing, Amendments and all) is a big deal to us.

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogamol wrote:
In this case, people are up at arms because a teenager's 1st Amendment right to freedom of expression was violated. It just looks like 2nd Amendment blather because the stance he was expressing support for was the conservative understanding of the 2nd Amendment.

Also, we've got a pretty long and boisterous conversation going about Edward Snowden (I think he spawned 3 threads). The Edward Snowden case has deep implications with respect to the 4th Amendment.

Hell, Muso even went after the 10th Amendment which is kind of a catch all that says that states will govern on any issue that isn't specifically spelled out in the constitution, recently.

then do something about it! tweeting about your disatifaction is doing jackshit
look at Egypt
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
bogamol wrote:

then do something about it! tweeting about your disatifaction is doing jackshit
look at Egypt

Revolution comes easy when you're broke as fuck. I mean look at UK, you still got monarchy for fucks sake :)
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't have a ban on handguns, available only to those with concealed weapons permits. The reason is twofold:

1. Dumbass gun owners who let their shit get so easily stolen.
2. The vast, vast majority of gun crimes are committed with pistols.

Placing handgun ownership under the concealed weapons system would mean that the firearm is regularly tracked and safety courses have been taken. California also requires that concealed weapons holders demonstrate competency with the firearm, as well.

It's not that the handguns are bad...it's that we as a society are simply not responsible with them anymore. I would also like to add that this idea is fully compatible with James Madison's original intent of the Second Amendment as pistols would never be used to subvert an oppressive government.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't have a ban on handguns, available only to those with concealed weapons permits. The reason is twofold:

1. Dumbass gun owners who let their shit get so easily stolen.
2. The vast, vast majority of gun crimes are committed with pistols.

soon, your journey to the darkside will be complete.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: