Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Emerging sys-apps/shadow 4.1.5.1-r1 fails.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deanpence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Emerging sys-apps/shadow 4.1.5.1-r1 fails. Reply with quote

When upgrading today, =sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2 (USE='cracklib sha512') was blocking <sys-apps/shadow-4.1.5-r1 (USE='cracklib nls pam'), so portage attempted to install sys-apps/shadow-4.1.5.1-r1 (USE='acl%* cracklib nls pam xattr%*'), which failed at the following point:

Code:
Making all in libmisc
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/shadow-4.1.5.1-r1/work/shadow-4.1.5.1/libmisc'
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../lib    -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -MT addgrps.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/addgrps.Tpo -c -o addgr
ps.o addgrps.c
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../lib    -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -MT age.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/age.Tpo -c -o age.o age.c
addgrps.c:33:20: fatal error: config.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [addgrps.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
age.c:33:20: fatal error: config.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [age.o] Error 1

Indeed, config.h does not exist in /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/shadow-4.1.5.1-r1/work/shadow-4.1.5.1/libmisc.

The full build.log is here: http://pastebin.com/4TuuwuZT

emerge --info is here: http://pastebin.com/fxTCiFnM

Any ideas? Perhaps something to do with the new USE flags?

Last edited by deanpence on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
abclements
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Try without PAM Reply with quote

Have you tried building it with USE="-pam" then updating pam then rebuilding shadow?
deanpence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did, but no luck. I get the same error.

There seems to be a problem with creating libmisc/config.h, but I'm simply not familiar how automake and autoconf work and why they would be failing to create the header.
slis
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you installing this package? Maybe it's not cleaned properly from previous try?
I don't see the unpacking stage nowhere, and also - I can't find "Source configured" in your log.

When used exactly same use-flags as yours I could emerge shadow successfully, so it could be anywhere else in your system, or something is wrong during emerging.
abclements
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: configure crash Reply with quote

config.h is created from config.h.in it looks like the configure is crashing part way through for some reason. Then the make cycle runs anyway.

Code:
ls /var/tmp/portage

if there is a folder called sys-apps remove it. This is where Gentoo builds the packages. Anything incomplete will leave trash there. Also just to make sure your starting clean, remove /usr/portage/distfiles/shadow* so you know your starting fresh.

removing that directory and file will force the build system to download a fresh copy of the file and try the build again.
deanpence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just getting weird. I have multiple packages now (nasm, iptables, shadow) that will not finish the configure stage because config.h is never built and is missing (likewise with python:2.7 and pyconfig.h). Could it be autoconf got screwed up at some point? I've reinstalled autoconf-2.13:2.1 and autoconf-2.69:2.5

I keep seeing this in the configure stage:

Code:
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged

And then `make` fails because some target needs config.h. I've been making sure /var/tmp/portage is clean, just in case, so it's not an issue of leftover files. This config.h file seems to be created by autoheader, but config.status usually won't use it unless it's different than a version it's cached in a temporary directory. I haven't gone down that rabbit hole too far yet, though.

Any ideas? Seems like my build environment got hosed somehow.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If configure is misbehaving, you should check the configure log, not the build log.
deanpence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hu: I don't see a configure log; configure finishes fine; it's the make/compile stage that fails due to a missing config.h.

This is solved now, though. I had stupidly let an exported function called "diff" (which I was using to pipe to colordiff and less) leak into my build environment. Unset it, and everything's building fine now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: