Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on a Sparc T4 - Can this be done?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UkuleleGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on a Sparc T4 - Can this be done? Reply with quote

I need to boot a T4 with a livecd. The question is can I install Gentoo on a T4 directly and then build a livecd? How is a livecd made?
lariano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Bootable sparc cd Reply with quote

Two years ago I have modified the bootable gentoo sparc cd for my personal needs (doing offline backups). I don't know exactly all steps and commands I have used but it was not that complicated. The cd contains a squashfs which can be modified and a folder 'boot' which contains stuff for booting from cd. Copy this content to some folder of your choice. Then mount the squashfs using a command like this:

Code:
mount image.squashfs /mnt -t squashfs -o loop

Then you can rsync the content of the squashfs to a new directory and make your changes to this copy. Probably you may want to chroot into your copy after mounting proc and dev for doing your modifications. In my notes I find these commands:

Code:
mount -t proc none ./squashfs_content/proc
mount --rbind /dev ./squashfs_content/dev

When you have finished you must recreate the squashfs. I don't know exactly how I achieved this, propably using mksquashfs. The last step is to generate a new iso image using the boot folder of the original cd. I have used something like this:

Code:
mkisofs -R -no-emul-boot -iso-level 4 -hide-rr-moved -c boot.catalog -B boot/second.b -o ../livecd.iso .

Perhaps a -G option must be added:

Code:
mkisofs -G boot/isofs.b ...

Check man pages of mkisofs and silo. Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: