View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsoveiko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: GUI processes slip into uninterruptible sleep state Reply with quote

i have a weird problem with GUI freezing (i run kde4). this results in load average skyrocketing (even though there are no tasks running) and non-killable X11.

usually i can switch to text console by ctrl-alt-f1, but can't login as myself, only as another user. i can log in as root, but can't restart xdm, nor can i do a clean shutdown. the only way out of this is to reboot, and even that only goes through if run as 'shutdown -rn now'. it happens seemingly randomly, but it only happens when i'm doing something GUI related. never on it's own. it can start with both native kde and no-kde applications.

i've traced it down to processes (e.g. browser) going into 'D' state (uninterruptible sleep) and never coming back. if i try to close the browser window, window manager follows the suit of going into D state. same with kill and 'shutdown -r now'.

how do i find the culprit?

(i'm not even sure if this should go into kernel and hardware or here, but as it's GUI related, let it be here)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be the graphics card driver hanging, though if it was that it should have restarted automatically after 10 seconds.
nsoveiko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i find out? i'm running x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers.

although, i have a reason to believe it's not video driver. the only kernel process that locks into D state is [sync_supers]. although googling about it doesn't reveal much apart that it has been eliminated in recent kernels (which ones? - i'm on longterm 3.4 branch).
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hang auto-recovery is a feature only in KMS drivers. You may want to try reproducing the problem with nouveau.
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this was happening to me a couple of years ago - it turned out that the video card fan was failing and so it would overheat and lock up at random times.
nsoveiko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
The hang auto-recovery is a feature only in KMS drivers. You may want to try reproducing the problem with nouveau.

unfortunately nouveau is a no go for me as it still doesn't appear to have vdpau support.
nsoveiko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section_8 wrote:
Something like this was happening to me a couple of years ago - it turned out that the video card fan was failing and so it would overheat and lock up at random times.

video core is at 51C if you believe nvidia-settings
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: