Current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiliconBadger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore Reply with quote

Greetings! I have been seeing this message for quite a while now, and finally I have reached the nexus of having enough time, and being irritated enough with it, to try and track down the problem. I have looked it up in the past but it wasn't something I could figure out in a reasonable amount of time, so I have just kept dealing with the annoying and confusing message.

Quote:
!!! Your current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore.
!!! Use eselect profile to update your profile.
!!! Please upgrade to the following profile if possible:

default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde

You may use the following command to upgrade:

eselect profile set default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde

As I recall, when I initially got this message, I did what it suggested and it didn't change anything. Currently when I try this, I get the following output from eselect:

Quote:
!!! Warning: Both /etc/make.profile and /etc/portage/make.profile exist.
!!! Warning: Using /etc/make.profile for now.

I have looked into posts today regarding these errors and I keep running across comments like this:
Quote:
Just make sure you first upgrade your portage to current stable before switching profile.

Unfortunately, I was not aware that this was needed before hand, since I the directions did not mention that, and I'm still pretty new to Gentoo (in terms of learning administration tasks). <rant>I would add that I came to Gentoo from Slackware because I was sick of spending hours trying to manage packages and their dependencies, but now it seems I spend hours trying to manage a package management system.</rant>

Unproductive whining aside, I have tried using the eselect command to select my profile but that does nothing to vanquish the either error I get with emerge or eselect. I assume something happened such that these make.profile directories are off, but I have no idea what should be done to correct that. I have spent over an hour on this now and have run out of options to try based on what I've found in other posts, and I would greatly appreciate some direction. Much thanks in advance for any help you can afford!
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have only one of /etc/make.profile or /etc/portage/make.profile. The latter is the newer and preferred name. Remove the former and retry your eselect command.
SiliconBadger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the following commands before removing anything and here's what I see:

Code:
ls -l /etc/make.portage
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 66 Jun 24 19:19 /etc/make.profile -> ../usr/local/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde
ls -l /etc/portage/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 69 Jun 24  2012 /etc/portage/make.profile -> ../../usr/local/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde

[/code]

It seems that the one you've said was newer is pointing to the older profile. I removed the symlink at /etc/make.profile and ran the eselect command again and it seems to have worked. I don't get any warnings about both links being present, and now when running emerge I don't get the alert about the profile needing to be changed. I checked the symlink and it has been updated

Code:
ls -l /etc/portage/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 69 Jun 24 20:46 /etc/portage/make.profile -> ../../usr/local/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde

So now I'm off to continue my original goal, which was to update my ATI drivers. Thanks a bunch for the help, Hu, I'm glad it was something really basic! I was worried about making any changes to those links willy-nilly, because other comments I'd seen lead me to believe it could break things and I really don't want to have to reload! :) Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: