ati-drivers not re-emerging?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virduun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: ati-drivers not re-emerging? Reply with quote

Today I was trying to reinstall ati-drivers 13.4 and it failed with this message:
Code:
* Cannot find $EPATCH_SOURCE!  Value for $EPATCH_SOURCE is:
 *   /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/files/linux-3.10-proc.diff
 *   ( linux-3.10-proc.diff )
 * ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.4 failed (prepare phase):
 *   Cannot find $EPATCH_SOURCE!

I went to /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/files and sure enough, there is no file by that name. A little googling around landed me at this page: http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/files/linux-3.10-proc.diff?view=markup&sortdir=down Is there any chance that this is the file that it was looking for? And if so, would it be alright to just download it and put it into the right directory? And (also if so), why isn't it on my system in the first place?

Edit: Nope, apparently it isn't enough to just download that file into the directory because when I try to emerge it afterwards it throws some kind of "file not in ebuild manifest" error, despite it apparently needing said file.

Last edited by virduun on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably the right file but this is weird, my copy of the portage tree also has this anomaly. It looks like someone changed and renamed the patch for 13.6 but deleted the 13.4 version ...

Ebuild bug. Might be worth submitting a bug.
virduun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have no idea how to submit bugs.
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Quick Fix Reply with quote

Quick fix,

NOTE This is a hack not a permanent fix

Upstream need to look into what this diff checker is for and fix it but here is a dirty way to get it working.

Open as ROOT the ebuild file.

In my case it was:

Code:
/usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/ati-drivers-13.1_pre897.ebuild

Then edit it searching for the EPATCH:

Code:
epatch "${FILESDIR}/linux-3.10-proc.diff"

Place a
Quote:
#
before the line to look like this:

Code:
# epatch "${FILESDIR}/linux-3.10-proc.diff"

Save the file with whatever editor you use.

Final step is to re-digest the file as clearly this edit will change the digestion sum of the ebuild and emerge will reject it.

Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/ati-drivers-13.1_pre897.ebuild digest

now emerge package and reboot for the fglrx driver to be loaded at init.

Job done you should be up and running.
If we know the truth, then we should be free from deception (John 8:42-47 )
virduun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any unusual consequences to doing that? I guess what I'm wondering is, is it a matter of the file no longer being needed (the linked page in my original post does have a "file removed" stamp on it) but the ebuild not being updated to take it out yet for some reason, or is the file actually needed/useful but not included, possibly due to erroneous deletion/removal?
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virduun wrote:
Would there be any unusual consequences to doing that? I guess what I'm wondering is, is it a matter of the file no longer being needed (the linked page in my original post does have a "file removed" stamp on it) but the ebuild not being updated to take it out yet for some reas;on, or is the file actually needed/useful but not included, possibly due to erroneous deletion/removal?

Good question and answer is probably on a global compatability scale yes. The file in question creates cleans up and test entry points in the proc filesystem such as /proc/ati and so on. It works at present either because previous driver install created the mount points for the devices and hence works.

the internals of the binary blob now handles all the proc/files Or the driver is not using some this method anymore then this could answer why the file was removed. This,makes it safe as it means they just forgot to remove the patch line.

I said it's a hack not a permanent fix more investigation and backtracking etc needs be done. It's not the first time ati have took control of some part of its driver that was open and blobbed it into the binary without telling anyone until it becomes apparent months later so this could be the case for this file removal.
enough speculation but yea it's a issue that needs posting on gentoo bugzilla. That is how you report a bug btw.
If we know the truth, then we should be free from deception (John 8:42-47 )
virduun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, F1r31c3r. I hadn't been able to get around to trying the workaround you provided yet, and in the meantime, apparently the linux-3.10-proc.diff file was un-removed and ati-drivers re-emerged fine without needing to edit the ebuild. Thanks for the help though. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: