Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
WM (any) segfaults when started after X...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: WM (any) segfaults when started after X... Reply with quote

Hello,
My system will no longer start up any window manager after starting X. I've tried kde, twm, xfce, and they all just segfault every time. I haven't updated anything in a couple weeks this just randomly started happening as far as I can tell. If i start X using
Code:
X :0
X does start with no errors, but if I attempt to start a window manager of any kind (using ~/.xinitrc and startx) the WM just segfaults every time...

I've tried rebuilding the system (emerge -e system) with no luck... I also tried reinstalling the nvidia-drivers. I'm not sure what else to try this is very odd... Any suggestions that might free me from the terminal and lynx would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2¢ are on bad RAM. If you have more modules than one try swapping them, running memtest may reveal errors, too.
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering in the back of my mind if it could be the ram... I just think its odd that nothing else has had a problem... and the segfaults are exactly the same, every single time. I don't know enough about what failing ram might cause to be sure, but wouldn't that cause more random failures across the board? This seems very specific and repeatable... But what do I know I'll try a memtest once I finish burning a knoppix dvd! Thanks!
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran memtest more than 4 passes without any errors... My last desperate attempt to fix this might be to emerge -e world. But I hate to do that unless there is no other way.

On another note knoppix ran fine, so it's not looking like a hardware problem... Maybe some minor hard drive corruption ate a vital file or something?

Any more ideas? Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: