Gentoo on GPT + Software RAID + LVM with GRUB 2 on non-EFI s
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazzyfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on GPT + Software RAID + LVM with GRUB 2 on non-EFI s Reply with quote

Hi,

My installation just failed on the reboot. It gets to the Grub2 boot menu and I'm able to select my kernel. It begins to load but fails due to the following error:

Code:

[0.419920]  kvm: VM_EXIT_LOAD_IA32_PERF_GLOBAL_CRTL does not work properly.  Using workaround
[0.445706] io scheduler noop registered

I based my installation on a combination of the official documents and the below website. My setup is very similar to the one in the below link.

http://kirneh.eu/gentoo-on-gpt-software-raid-lvm-with-grub-2-on-non-efi-system/

The only real difference is that I am using two SSDs in a RAID-0 / LVM volume. And two SATA-II disks, again in a RAID-0 / LVM configuration.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Or what (and how) I can check from the LiveCD?

I have included my /etc/fstab in case this helps:

Code:

# <fs>                                  <mountpoint>    <type>          <opts>                                  <dump/pass>

/dev/mapper/vg--ssd-lv--boot            /boot           ext4            noauto,noatime,nodiratime,discard       1 2
/dev/mapper/vg--ssd-lv--root            /               ext4            noatime,nodiratime,discard              0 1
/dev/mapper/vg--hdd-lv--home            /home           ext4            noatime                                 0 2
/dev/mapper/vg--hdd-lv--var             /var            ext4            noatime                                 0 2
/dev/mapper/vg--hdd-lv--usrportage      /usr/portage    ext4            noatime                                 0 2
/dev/mapper/vg--hdd-lv--vhdd            /hdd            ext4            noatime                                 0 2

/dev/sdc1                               none            swap            sw,pri=1                                0 0
/dev/sdd1                               none            swap            sw,pri=1                                0 0

tmpfs                                   /tmp            tmpfs           noatime,nodiratime,size=5G              0 0

/dev/sr0                                /mnt/dvd        auto            noauto,ro,user                          0 0
/dev/sr1                                /mnt/dvdrw      auto            noauto,ro,user                          0 0

Cheers,
Andy
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those errors don't look fatal. Can you take a picture of the last output visible?

Also, how did you build the kernel, genkernel, custom config, ?

The last time I did a manual config, I must have missed something important and the system locked up at boot. Genkernel worked though, so I started with one of its configurations and then altered it to how I wanted it.
crazzyfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Brad. I have emailed you the picture.

Yeah I compiled a custom kernel but did use genkernel to create the initramfs:

Code:
genkernel --lvm --mdadm --install initramfs

Not sure what I could have missed?

Do you think I could have something to do with the SSDs?
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the email, what subject did you use?

Maybe something to try would be taking the config used on the livecd and modifying that, there are so many options in the kernel these days that trial and error could take a long time.
crazzyfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent it from my Hotmail account with the subject "FW: Screenshot". However, you should be able to see via the below links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4eyyz149laqrl9a/WP_20130518_000157.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg1715rx64t841l/WP_20130518_000157.mp4

Quote:
The last time I did a manual config, I must have missed something important and the system locked up at boot. Genkernel worked though, so I started with one of its configurations and then altered it to how I wanted it.

How would I do that?

Thanks.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a few tips to keep in mind:

You can manually copy the .config file in/out of the kernel source directory, use that to manage your own versions of it.

After you change the .config file, it's good to do "make oldconfig", especially if it came from a different kernel version.

genkernel has an option --oldconfig to make it *not* generate its own configuration and use the one you supplied, when you are having it compile a whole kernel.

So basically, back up your current .config, try out genkernel (letting it make its own configuration, kernel, and initrd), then try out the resulting stuffs and see if it boots successfully. If so, great, use the .config it came up with as a basis for your own modifications, then either build manually like you were, or use genkernel --oldconfig to let it do the work (use "all" target and whatever other options you need, esp. for the initrd options if you use raid/lvm/etc).

For example, on my grub2 system, all it takes to make a new kernel and have it added to the grub boot menu is:

#(set up the .config file as desired in the kernel source directory)
#ln the desired kernel source to /usr/src/linux, as this is what genkernel uses
genkernel --oldconfig --mdadm --lvm --makeopts=-j4 all
grub2-mkconfig > /boot/grub.cfg

These last two lines I put in a shell script to save typing.

The other idea I suggested was starting with a gentoo livecd kernel config that boots on your system, which you can do by copying /proc/config.gz from a system running that kernel. Same principles, un-gzip that config.gz to the kernel source tree of your choosing (maybe you want to try a kernel version similar to that used on the livecd if you can't get newer ones to boot), make oldconfig, and build as per above.

Good luck!
crazzyfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradN - thanks man! Good advice!

I recompiled the kernel letting genkernel do all the work. To a mixed feeling of joy and despair - it worked! That prompted me to start the installation from scratch. This time I was a little more discerning about what modules to include - which envolved a lot of greping of the working .config file!

It worked!........kind of....

The first thing I did was check the internet settings but found that ifconfig only had the lo interface. After trying to bring eth0 up I get:

Code:

# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
 * Bringing up interface eth0
 *   ERROR: interface eth0 does not exist
 *   Ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module for your hardware
 * ERROR: net.eth0 failed to start

Obviously now I'm thinking that I've missed another module but when I check the logs I see:

Code:

[0.904331] r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded
[0.904609] r8169 0000:0a:00.0: irq 69 for MSI/MSI-X
[0.904739] r8169 0000:0a:00.0: eth0: RTL8168c/8111c at 0xffffc9000181e000, 00:24:8c:7b:5f:0b, XID 1c4000c0 IRQ 69
[0.904902] r8169 0000:0a:00.0: eth0: jumbo features [frames: 6128 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]
[0.905065] r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded
[0.905330] r8169 0000:09:00.0: irq 70 for MSI/MSI-X
[0.905435] r8169 0000:09:00.0: eth1: RTL8168c/8111c at 0xffffc9000181c000, 00:24:8c:7b:60:cf, XID 1c4000c0 IRQ 70
[0.905597] r8169 0000:09:00.0: eth1: jumbo features [frames: 6128 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]

....and then toward the end I see:

Code:

[7.416698] systemd-udevd[7203]: starting version 200
[7.448024] systemd-udevd[7217]: renamed network interface eth0 to enp10s0
[7.457027] systemd-udevd[7219]: renamed network interface eth1 to enp9s0

Any idea what's going

Thanks.
crazzyfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - I just came across the below thread!

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-961048.html

All I had to do was:

touch /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules

...and reboot - solved!

Thanks again!
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the interface renaming "feature" is a source of some headaches sometimes. It's really exciting on remote machines where if your interface doesn't come up, you're in some amount of trouble.

Back in the old days configuring your own kernel from hand wasn't so bad - not nearly as much option overload. But, now there's just so much stuff! I always used to do all configuration from a default .config but the last time I had to give up and start from something that worked - I still don't know what option was messing it up.
crazzyfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I might have been a bit premature with my celebration as I still appear to have a couple of issues with my configuration!

So, the system boots and I can’t see anything too sinister in the logs. However, every time I reboot I see messages like the one below:

Code:

* Failed to shutdown Logical Volume Manager
 * Wiping internal cache failed
 * Error mdraid failed to stop
 * mdadm: fail to stop array /dev/md0: Device or resource busy. Perhaps a running process, mounted filesystem or active volume group?

I’m not sure if this is a problem or not? The md0 device has / and /boot on it. md1 seems to unmounts fine when rebooting. If this is not an issue – can it be removed as an error when rebooting? Or maybe try and unmount it slightly later when rebooting?

The other issue I’m having, which could be unrelated, is that I can’t mount my nfs (which I’ve done many times from the LiveDVD during the installation).

Code:

storm ~ # mount -t nfs "192.168.111.250:/personal shared" /root/nfs/ -o sync
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.111.250:/personal shared,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail or so
storm ~ #

Any ideas? Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Andy
crazzyfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas/ thoughts / suggestions?

Cheers,
Andy
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this may be normal when running / on raid/lvm. As long as you don't get raid de-sync problem after rebooting, I wouldn't worry too much.
crazzyfool
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply - I really appreciate it!

Is there a way I can remove the error so I don't see it each time my computer goes down for a reboot?

Cheers,
Andy
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably it could be done by editing init scripts in /etc/init.d. Personally I would just leave it, or cover it with fbsplash.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: