improving the CLI
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morphal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: improving the CLI Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo casually for ... I really don't even know. Years, certainly. I've contributed a few things in the forums but I've been relatively inactive for several years.

During the enormous number of upgrades I've neglected over the past few years, my CLI appearance has really gone to hell. I realize this is probably because I haven't used every upgrade to its full advantage but, during a borked update, I booted off the Gentoo minimal image and was reminded of how good it can look.

I don't use X but I want my simple CLI to look at least as good as the minimal boot environment. There are lots of guides for desktop environments but ... did I just miss the guide for those of us that just use these for x-less servers?

I want a decent little splash screen and more lines of text. I wouldn't mind the ability to use a mouse to highlight for copy/paste. I'm not even sure what all to look for because I don't know what the options are.

So, of those who live in a text world, what do you do to make your system useful and yours and ... well, "pretty?"
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ability to use a mouse to highlight for copy/paste.
Code:
 emerge gpm
rc-update add gpm default

Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmscon is a nice program that doesn't do any of the things you asked for, but you might still like it. It gives you a 256-color console with freetype fonts and OpenGL-accelerated rendering (which, compared to the default linux VT, is like night and day)
pums974
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmscon seems nice.
Is it really reliable even if i have driver's problems or things like that ?

Is there any documentation on it ?
How can we test it on gentoo ?
I saw that there is an ebuild, but I see no configuration file and no indication about kernel dependences nor how activate it.
ashtophet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an user case similar to yours:
a) splash screen: I don't use it, I don't like it in those kind of boxes.
b) mice: as indicated, gpm for occasional mice needs.
c) resolution/lines: I have a nvidia graphics card, so I'm using nouveau driver with its FB and KSM. Resolution is the best my monitor can handle (1280x1024) and I'm using sigma series font.

About ksmcon's documentation, cfr. http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dvdhrm/kmscon/tree/README . Looking forward to try it myself...

Cheers

Edit. removed broken link
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmscon looked very interesting for me so I installed it and tried it ... I had to reboot every time I invoked since it stopped after taking the tty and I couldn't stop it anymore :-/

This happens with the Intel i915 driver & kms.

I'm sure I must have done something wrong but I didn't dig to deep to investigate the problem and solve it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: