View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: problems with fluxbox Reply with quote

I'm a gnome user and I'm trying out fluxbox, I start flux and the gnome-panel(I need that panel :D)
I have 2 problems so far:
1- the places and system menu are working but the application menu isn't working
2- alt tab simply switches between tabs, I need to preview the tabs before I switch(alt-tab behaviour in gnome)

thanks
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, option 2 simply does not happen in Fluxbox. However, you can try superswitcher. I used to use it, but it stopped working for me, and since I didn't care all that much, I never tracked down why. But it's supposed to give you that little preview when alt-tabbing.

In Fluxbox, your applications menu is shown by either right-clicking on the desktop, or assigning a key combo in ~/.fluxbox/keys. I usually make it alt-F1, but you can make it whatever you want. If you make it alt-F1, make sure you comment out or reassign the existing alt-F1, which pops up xterm (if it's installed).

To automatically populate the Fluxbox applications menu, you have to manually run fluxbox-generate-menu. This doesn't catch everything, though, so I just manually add to ~/.fluxbox/menu when I install things. It's easy and gives me a menu exactly the way I want it.

Fluxbox is very nice, with a shallow learning curve. If you're looking for something more minimal, keep in mind you'll do a little more self-maintenance - but Fluxbox is a good foot-in-the-door for people wanting to try out more lightweight and minimal environments.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
that was helpful
however, I need the gnome panel to be fully funcitonal :(
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to cd into .fluxbox and edit startup using nano or what ever editor you prefer.

simply add
Code:
gnome-panel &
or what ever the code used in terminal to start it where the rest of the entries are.

The main advantage to fluxbox is the straight forward syntax for adding entries to the various config files and if you want to tweak the looks, you can copy over the themes files and play with them in ./.fluxbox/themes to see what they look like.
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've done that but so far I can't get the applications menu to run :(
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle you do not need a menu button since fluxbox will open its menu by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop. If it does not happen on your system, check your ~/.fluxbox/keys and add the line
Code:
OnDesktop Mouse2 :WorkspaceMenu
If you do not like this behaviour and want (for example) to trigger the menu only clicking on the taskbar, more similar to other environments, you can set OnToolbar Mouse2 :WorkspaceMenu instead. To assign the menu to Alt-F1 as suggested by a comment above, add Mod1 F1 :WorkspaceMenu. Personnally I bind Alt-F1 to a terminal using Mod1 F1 :Exec urxvt -fn "xft:Inconsolata:pixelsize=15" +tr -bg black -fg white +hold -si -sk -sw.
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the help, but I just need to get the gnome panel menus working
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I entered “emerge gnome-panel” (=gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.30.5-r1) ; it compiled 26 packages in ≈ 5 min. I type “gnome-panel” in a terminal. There is an Applications menu in top-left corner, when I press it an empty list opens. The empty list is not very visible when the panel is horizontal, so I put the top panel on the left and I can see better that there is an empty menu list opening.

I never used gnome-* before so I do not know how to configure the Applications menu. However according to https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Using_GNOME/Application_menus it should get entries from /usr/share/applications/, which it obviously fails to do.

EDIT:
I think there is no reason to think it could be fluxbox. I also tried in failsafe/twm and result is the same. Maybe gnome-panel needs some additional process to be able to fill the Application menu.
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup that is correct, the panel fails under other wms and DEs
Ill try looking up any daemons that are running in gnome and startup scripts that might have something to do with populating the menu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: