View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamienWind
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Strange problem with resolution and monitors Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've got a few builds of Gentoo under my belt so far and generally don't have too many basic problems with it, but I've run into a strange one, specifically with the Gentoo VirtualBox VM I've got running on my work desktop.

My resolution won't go higher than 1024x768. I figured perhaps my virtualbox-guest-additions weren't working right so I re-emerged them and that didn't seem to fix it. I went ahead and thought 'maybe the automagical Xorg conf isnt working right' and overrode the xorg.conf file with my own manual entries. That didn't work either.

I decided 'why not see what Xorg -configure' will do. It generated some bizarre conf file that stated I had.. 4 monitors? O_o In my virtualbox settings I've only got 1 monitor for sure! Why would it suspect I have 4? Strange.. but I used the conf file it generated (which did indeed use the vboxvideo driver, as did I) and removed references to the multiple monitors and decided to use that one.. same results!

At this point I'm just stumped.. typically in the past when I use Gentoo its in vmware workstation or on hardware, but not in virtualbox.. just all I had available at work so I'm trying to work with it. My friend who uses vbox claims he has no trouble getting beyond 1024x768 automagically and surely hasn't seen it detect monitors improperly so.. here I am asking for help. :)

This i s what xrandr says, if it helps:
Screen 0: minimum 64 x 64, current 1024 x 768, maximum 32000 x 32000
VBOX0 connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 60.0*+
800x600 60.0
640x480 60.0

Thanks much in advance! If any diagnostic output is required to troubleshoot just let me know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: