View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: HOWTO: Install Netflix on Gentoo Reply with quote

as root:

Code:
    echo ">app-emulation/wine-1.6_rc1" >> /etc/portage/packages.mask

Download Patches from http://www.compholio.com/wine-compholio/#patches
    if your patches were from wine-1.5.29 or before, re-download the patches for wine 1.5.30 and above, they have changed.

Code:
    mkdir /etc/portage/patches/app-emulation/wine-1.6_rc1 -p
    cp *.patch /etc/portage/patches/app-emulation/wine-1.6_rc1/
    emerge wine winetricks

as user:

Install Firefox in wine:
    Code:
    wget -O Firefox-18.0.2.exe http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-18.0.2\&os=win\&lang=en-US; wine Firefox-18.0.2.exe /S

Install Silverlight in wine:
    Code:
    wget -O Silverlight-4.exe http://silverlight.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/6/A/1/6A13C54D-3F35-4082-977A-27F30ECE0F34/10329.00/runtime/Silverlight.exe; wine Silverlight-4.exe /q

Install Fonts:
    Code:
     winetricks allfonts

Verify Extended Attribute support: (if these fail, we'll have to make certain that extended attributes are enabled)
    Code:

cd ~/.wine
    touch tt
    setfattr -n "user.testAttr" -v "attribute value" tt
    getfattr tt

If the above fails we have to check whether our kernel supports extended attributes
    Code:
    grep XATTR
    in either /boot/config-?.?.?-gentoo or /usr/src/linux/.config
    If XATTR is not enabled for your root and home file systems, it must be enabled in the kernel config
    Whether or not XATTR is enabled, if the system fails the Extended Attribute support, we must add it to /etc/fstab by adding user_xattr to the options in fstab (ie defaults,user_xattr) for the / filesystem. you can remount without rebooting by using
    Code:
    mount / -o remount

I had to set opengl to x11-org: as root
    Code:
    eselect opengl set xorg-x11

Start Firefox in Wine:
    Code:
    wine "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://netflix.com/

login to Netflix as you normally would and try to stream something
    Troubleshooting:
    if error N8156-6022 you have XATTR problems
    if error N8156-6013: find mspr.hds under ~.wine and delete it

Last edited by cctsurf on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:38 am; edited 9 times in total
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works beautifully on my desktop, however, I'm running into an error on my laptop (actually the same error on my netflix-desktop on my kubuntu computer).
The Error is n8102-154-3035, just as silverlight is beginning streaming, it seems to be a network error, Netflix says, "does your network limit streaming?", or possibly "is your ip address outside of the netflix country?"
charetjc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the audio, but no video.

During playback, firefox stops updating the browser window and my terminal is spammed with
Code:
fixme:d3d:wined3d_swapchain_present Ignoring flags 0x80000000.

I'm not sure why I don't see any video, but it may be related to:
    * my Gentoo is unstable (~amd64)
    * I run a multihead 2-monitor display with nvidia-drivers-313.18 and awesome wm
I did have to start Firefox in Wine with the (x86) path.
Code:
wine "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://netflix.com/

Update:
I checked out http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming from a wine bug, the embedded playback is decent (smooth, but artifacts around the edges).
Switching to fullscreen playback either stalls video refreshing, or offsets the video such that it'd be centered across both screens (except my browser window is confined to one screen).

Update 2:
Screwing with fullscreen mode while a video's playing (pressing f and escape) until I get a window with working video gets me one step closer.
Now if I could only convince silverlight to stretch the video to fill the window. I get a silverlight window that expects to fill both screens (which I can't force), so my silverlight is confined to one screen and the video is horizontally squeezed. At least I don't have to dual boot windows just for netflix.

Thanks for the how-to OP.

Last edited by charetjc on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ive written wiki.gentoo.orgs sudo, git, rails, passenger and other wikis.... someone told me that with netflix you get so many accounts to give away.... if you were to hook it up with a netflix guest account id work to get it running linux native. i was looking into "start your free month" but i only have a check card with like 2 dollars on it. :?
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@charetjc:
Did you change your opengl to x11-org? (I know, it sounds crazy, but it works.)
Code:

I had that problem initially as well.
I have a multi-screen (6) setup as well, and when I restarted x, I had just as high a frame rate on glx-gears as I had using nvidia's opengl setup.
Hope that helps
efudd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. this just gives me a 1001 error saying the player could not be loaded. :/

*EDIT* tried again from scratch...

The 1001 error may have been caused by my failure to use winetricks to install allfonts.

Also, it looks like the opengl thing can be done without restarting X11... I set, started the app and all was good (stuck at 98% streaming for a while).

Not getting an HD stream yet, however.. thank you, tho!

-e
jaake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: getting error 8N156-6013 Reply with quote

I know it says to find mspr.hds in ~/.wine but I can't find that file anywhere.
gary987
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patches no longer compile?

/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.5.26/work/wine-1.5.26/dlls/ws2_32/socket.c: In function 'WSAIoctl':
/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.5.26/work/wine-1.5.26/dlls/ws2_32/socket.c:3397:8: error: too many arguments to function '_is_blocking'
/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.5.26/work/wine-1.5.26/dlls/ws2_32/socket.c:806:12: note: declared here
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -m32 -c -I/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.5.26/work/wine-1.5.26/dlls/wsock32 -I. -I/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.5.26/work/wine-1.5.26/include -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers -Wstrict-prototypes -Wtype-limits -Wunused-but-set-parameter -Wwrite-strings -fno-omit-frame-pointer -Wpointer-arith -Wlogical-op -I/usr/include/freetype2 -O2 -pipe -march=athlon64-sse3 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0 -o socket.o /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.5.26/work/wine-1.5.26/dlls/wsock32/socket.c
make[1]: *** [socket.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.5.26/work/wine-1.5.26-x86/dlls/ws2_32'
make: *** [dlls/ws2_32] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your patches are not compiling, new versions of the patch are available that now support versions 1.5.27 and 1.5.28 please redownload the patches from the site above.
Note that I edit and update the post as I have the opportunity to try new versions of wine with netflix.

with regard to finding mspr.hds, try the following:
Code:

cd ~/.wine
find | grep mspr.hds

Hope that helps.
cctsurf
siknasa9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know a way to bypass the silverlight upgrade? I searched and the only "fix" I found was to delete a folder that is only created on the Ubuntu install.
jpicard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cctsurf

Thanks for your guide. I was a able to get it working with wine-9999 winetricks-99999999. When installing firefox and silverlight I had not use the /S and /q flags, otherwise wine couldn't execute the installers. They can't have been too important since it worked without them, but what were those flags supposed to do?
NuMPTy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked great for me, thanks for the how-to

Edit:: Actually, apparently not so great. It seems to be extremely choppy, even on the lowest quality setting (CPU isn't maxed). Box that I'm testing on:

3.8.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Apr 11 07:24:28 EDT 2013 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3440 @ 2.53GHz

Nvidia 460GTX 768MB for Video

Any ideas?
gary987
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuMPTy wrote:
Worked great for me, thanks for the how-to

Edit:: Actually, apparently not so great. It seems to be extremely choppy, even on the lowest quality setting (CPU isn't maxed). Box that I'm testing on:

3.8.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Apr 11 07:24:28 EDT 2013 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3440 @ 2.53GHz

Nvidia 460GTX 768MB for Video

Any ideas?

Well your Video card should be fine. I have no trouble running it on a Nvidia GT 210 card with compositing on.
charetjc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cctsurf wrote:
@charetjc:
Did you change your opengl to x11-org? (I know, it sounds crazy, but it works.)
Code:

@cctsurf:
Originally, my video issues sorted themselves out. They returned while sorting out this issue with the Silverlight upgrade, and this advice worked perfectly for me. Thanks.

For anyone trying to fix the silverlight upgrade on netflix, here's what I did.
Hopefully that gets netflix working for ya.

@cctsurf: if this works for enough people, feel free to add these directions to the end of your OP guide :)
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has charetjc's post worked for people? I've not had to upgrade silverlight yet, so I'm not a good test case. I'll follow his directions when I can get a moment and see how they work...
I'm not getting notifications on this thread anymore, that's annoying, I didn't see this until I was updating for wine-1.5.30.

If you are wanting to try his directions and keep your current wine install for backup, you can do the following:
Code:
cd
cp -a .wine old.wine

follow charetjc's instructions
if they work for you,
Code:
cd
rm -rf old.wine

if they dont,
Code:
cd
rm -rf .wine
mv old.wine wine
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This upgrade failed for me. I had audio but no picture. Erich notes in the forum you referenced that he cannot support silverlight 5, but that we should only be upgrading to the latest silverlight-4.
Quote:
Kevin: Yes, a while back I changed the install process for Silverlight to launch with the "/noupdate" flag - so anyone that started with a profile from before that change would periodically be prompted to update. I ensure that the installed version for the initial profile is compatible with Wine, so far that means using the latest version of Silverlight 4.x (as I cannot support Silverlight 5.x at this time).
AlbertVeli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cctsurf wrote:
This upgrade failed for me. I had audio but no picture. Erich notes in the forum you referenced that he cannot support silverlight 5, but that we should only be upgrading to the latest silverlight-4.

Same here. It worked until the silverlight update screen started to appear. It always seems to appear if silverlight-4 is installed. And if silverlight-5 is installed then there is only audio and a blank black screen (at least on my HP laptop with nvidia Quadro 1000M graphics). I tried both nvidia and nouveau drivers and different versions of firefox. Same result. Is there any solution for this?
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell from looking at the discussion with the author of the netflix patches: https://bugs.launchpad.net/netflix-desktop/+bug/1164453, We need to be running silverlight 4.
after upgrading to silverlight 5, I had to do a rm -rf ~/.wine and reinstall using the user section of the instructions above. That got me going again.
Notably, doing the rm -rf may upgrade some of the behavior of wine with netflix: Erich (the author of the netflix patches), has disabled upgrading in the later versions of the patches. Having done the rm -rf, I have never been asked to upgrade.
cctsurf
AlbertVeli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cctsurf wrote:
As far as I can tell from looking at the discussion with the author of the netflix patches: https://bugs.launchpad.net/netflix-desktop/+bug/1164453, We need to be running silverlight 4.
after upgrading to silverlight 5, I had to do a rm -rf ~/.wine and reinstall using the user section of the instructions above. That got me going again.
Notably, doing the rm -rf may upgrade some of the behavior of wine with netflix: Erich (the author of the netflix patches), has disabled upgrading in the later versions of the patches. Having done the rm -rf, I have never been asked to upgrade.
cctsurf

Thanks! It works now, after removing the .wine dir, reinstalling firefox, silverlight-4 and winetricks corefonts.
MONI555
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: How to install netflix on gentoo Reply with quote

Hiiii :D

There are the simple way to install netflix on Gentoo such as:-
__ Start with your favorite Linux distribution and install the latest version of WINE. I have tried on version 1.1.40 with near success.
__ Download the latest version of Firefox for Windows and install it into your WINE instance.
__ Launch the WINE instance of Firefox and browse to about:config
__ Get past the warning screen, then right-click in the main region. Click New → String. You'll be given two dialogues:
__ In the first dialogue, enter general.user agent.override
__In the second dialogue, enter Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6
Close Firefox and relaunch it.
__Browse to netflix.com, log in, and go to the watch instantly page. Magically, you'll be transported beyond the "OS not supported" page you're used to, and you'll be given the option to install the Silver light plugin. Do so.

I hope my answer will be sufficient for you.

patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cctsurf wrote:
silverlight is beginning streaming, it seems to be a network error, Netflix says, "does your network limit streaming?", or possibly "is your ip address outside of the netflix country?"

Silverlight...what company invented that bunghole of a code?
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to install netflix on gentoo Reply with quote

MONI555 wrote:
Hiiii :D

There are the simple way to install netflix on Gentoo such as:-
__ Start with your favorite Linux distribution and install the latest version of WINE. I have tried on version 1.1.40 with near success.
__ Download the latest version of Firefox for Windows and install it into your WINE instance.
__ Launch the WINE instance of Firefox and browse to about:config
__ Get past the warning screen, then right-click in the main region. Click New → String. You'll be given two dialogues:
__ In the first dialogue, enter general.user agent.override
__In the second dialogue, enter Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6
Close Firefox and relaunch it.
__Browse to netflix.com, log in, and go to the watch instantly page. Magically, you'll be transported beyond the "OS not supported" page you're used to, and you'll be given the option to install the Silver light plugin. Do so.

I hope my answer will be sufficient for you.

You said, 'simple' way to install netflix on gentoo...
An effort is an effort, but stay true to your loyal subject (gentoo).
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to install netflix on gentoo Reply with quote

MONI555 wrote:
There are the simple way

Your Englitch is formidable when coupled with your inability to read.

Nonsense about nothing Gentoo specific, in fact any distro will do.

Then using wine (uh...) then overriding the Firefox useragent string (which IS general.useragent.override, btw, no space to have it parsed correctly) with yet more nonsense and heh, literally predicting magic will occur while previously using the words tried and near success. Sounded like a spambot. Please start a new thread with your simplistic idea so that others may continue to sledgehammer it appropriately instead of trying to fill this one full of nonsense. Not one posting here mentioned anything about "OS not supported" as you claimed nor should it when it's windows executables ran in a wine environment expressly for the purpose of trying to fool this into working. And the strings you used to add essentially, hai! I'm client X11, Unix, Windows Vista and Firefox from circa 2010... I'm at a loss for words.

If anyone did follow this poor advice, to fast resolve, right click in the about:config section for a context menu on the general.useragent.override string key entered and select reset. Then restart firefox. Or if you entered it literally the way they half-ass presented it, it probably didn't override anyway.

No...
MONI555 wrote:
Thanks
:roll:

Last edited by Navar on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpicard wrote:
When installing firefox and silverlight I had not use the /S and /q flags, otherwise wine couldn't execute the installers. They can't have been too important since it worked without them, but what were those flags supposed to do?

Silent (no dialog promptings with default setup) and quiet (same thing but different company) respectively. The u option used with /qu on Silverlight is to uninstall. These options can and do get changed/removed by Mozilla and Microsoft on a whim often with no documentation to inform nor inclination to care.

That said, it's probably best to either start a new wine profile or /qu uninstall with the original silverlight-4.exe than to use the silverlight-5.exe. Directions implied prior in the thread suggested using the version 5 of silverlight to remove version 4 prior to installing version 5, which may or may not be the best idea. I know Microsoft's MSI is without fault (sic) particularly after they forced everyone that way. ;)

Last edited by Navar on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Silverlight 4 _and_ 5 can work. Reply with quote

Reminds me of a dog chasing it's tail. Not ready for prime time and probably did work ok for a brief window (before I noticed) before the powers that be stood us back on our heads. My goal was primarily to have my laptop mentioned below functional enough so I'd have one less of the few things I'm forced to dual boot into Windows for. I'm not sure exactly what to blame as there are far too many variables, wine, firefox, video drivers, opengl setting and silverlight DRM. But the big one for me remains video rendering.

So, in the hopes of helping this thread back onto it's feet...

The netflix/silverlight 1001 error is generally font related (and frankly stupid), even if winetricks allfonts is partially functional after ran twice (due to some incorrect checksums and whenever Debian folk can migrate a hosted file path, like M$, they do). The 9999 variant may fix these issues but they're not game breaking. Other than this issue, you wouldn't need to fight with adding all those fonts.

Setup
System A: Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop, Intel T2500 (dual core x86), Nvidia 7900 GS Go, x86 only.
System B: Intel Z77 chipset, Intel i5 3570K, Radeon HD 7850, amd64 multilib.

Default Windows profile in wine (as Windows XP).

System A is using nvidia-drivers-304.88 (highest available for that hardware). B is using ati-drivers-13.1. I have not tried to see if the open source variety (nouveau/radeon) would cause a magical event to occur with wine's opengl->d3d support on the video.

In all cases, Firefox/Silverlight have any and all upgrade options disabled. In each setup a different wine profile was used (as in mv .wine .wine_FF18SL4, winecfg, install fox/silver, etc. rinse repeat). You could always WINEPREFIX this instead as an alternative, either way.

Firefox versions tested: 18.0.2, 20.0.1, 21.0.0 (all 32bit). Note: of these, only Firefox 18.0.2 would bypass Netflix upgrade silverlight stop point to continue using version 4, the rest force a detection of Silverlight 4 with Netflix forcing you to their upgrade full stop portion.
Silverlight versions tested: 4.1.10329.0, 5.1.20125.0
Wine: 1.5.28/9, wine-1.6_rc1 each with respective patches. Much of this post reflects my initial run-in and poor luck using wine <1.6_rc1 combined with the forced silverlight 5 upgrade.

SHA256 checksums:
Code:

a52238f2d3910f0b4a705277c2ee4cd482d924b27d13e945dacafaaaaa331e9d  Firefox-18.0.2.exe
70ee925289e9d5a20b2d286d10c5de4b6a3f9d3bcb0960260fdd5bf24fef93d3  Firefox-20.0.0.exe
61b8710a01d0de6c53b1e60a9e6a455becef0aae86a2589b5bf57140a3a10f9e  Firefox-21.0.0.exe
b0e476090206b2e61ba897de9151a31e0182c0e62e8abd528c35d3857ad6131c  Silverlight-4.exe
f50429dfe7fc18033dc05748fa5bb61e443df8745baefe99e2806d808ca86cf5  Silverlight-5.exe

For those that have current functionality, actual details would be nice for everyone else. Versions, hardware/drivers used, etc. as I mentioned above. Also if 'working' to you means 1-2 fps video with fully functioning audio, then please state to that effect.

Both versions of wine suffer from a number of issues, such as constant calls of
Code:
fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_PER_CONNECTION_OPTION stub

...whether it's Firefox specific or Firefox in wine, system A (x86) tends to have high CPU use (100%) even when idle at the netflix browse selection portion or just a blank tab in Firefox. Which implies once the silverlight plugin is started, all bets are off. Also the context seems to act single threaded (only one CPU at a time is pegged the other looks idle), most likely another wine detail or perhaps a plugin restriction for firefox. System B didn't exhibit this. System A runs netflix well in windows (with low CPU use and full fps) with very old drivers (circa 2007) or the newer 300 series.

System B does this,
Code:
err:d3d:context_create wglSwapIntervalEXT failed to set swap interval 0 for context 0xa1f4cc0, last error 0x591

during playback without video showing (but again, audio heard). This output was very frequent with different addresses for the context portion. On a whim, I tried setting opengl to X11, rebuilding wine, and then trying again with reselecting opengl back to driver as someone claimed this resolved similar errors in the past. No dice. Google searching specifics about this particular error (like most stuff in wine :( ) isn't exactly productive.

Or for more details, with WINEDEBUG="+wgl" set, many of these during playback:
Code:

trace:wgl:glxdrv_wglGetPixelFormat 0x30051 -> 1
trace:wgl:glxdrv_wglMakeCurrent ((nil),(nil))
trace:wgl:glxdrv_wglDeleteContext (0x5f21458)
trace:wgl:X11DRV_wglCreateContextAttribsARB (0x30051 0x26bb4c8 0x299e614)
trace:wgl:X11DRV_wglCreateContextAttribsARB 0x30051 -> 0x5f21458
trace:wgl:glxdrv_wglMakeCurrent (0x30051,0x5f21458)
trace:wgl:describeContext  Context 0x5f21458 have (vis:(nil)):
trace:wgl:describeContext  - FBCONFIG_ID 0x23
trace:wgl:describeContext  - VISUAL_ID 0x23
trace:wgl:glxdrv_wglMakeCurrent hdc 0x30051 drawable 300004b fmt 0x269d540 ctx 0xf31d0950
trace:wgl:glxdrv_wglMakeCurrent 0x30051,0x5f21458 returning 1
trace:wgl:X11DRV_wglSwapIntervalEXT (0)
err:d3d:context_create wglSwapIntervalEXT failed to set swap interval 0 for context 0xa086150, last error 0x591

Experiences:

System A (x86/nvidia 7900 GS): Video frames displayed fair (with what appears to be full fps, yay) with high CPU use (boo!) through what seemed pure side effect luck (sigh) after switching opengl to X11 with X already loaded with nvidia set initially. Only worked using FF18 w/ SL4. Switching opengl from nvidia/X11 and restarting X had negative results. In the past with FF20+ and SL5, CPU use was pretty much insane and SL would eventually crash on this system in prior version of wine before we were essentially told version 5 wouldn't work (yet). I put this off a few months ago until recently. However...

FF18, SL4, starting X with opengl set to nvidia or X11,

No video output (black), no red netflix buffer display prior or red background with nothing else then black, playback with sound.
Logs show this error:
Code:

fixme:d3d:wined3d_swapchain_present Ignoring flags 0x80000000.
trace:wgl:glxdrv_wglSwapBuffers (0x2004f)

Wine 1.6_rc1 with FF18, SL4 or FF21, SL5 (yes you read that correctly even though the Ubuntu dev has stated otherwise):

1. Set opengl to nvidia
2. Start X
3. Now set opengl to X11
4. Start wine firefox for netflix

Both silverlight 4 AND 5 work on wine 1.6_rc1 but it's a !@#$ing weird quirk to make it function.

The main difference I see in my X log is (EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver when starting X with opengl set to X11 vs nvidia. In my setup I absolutely have to start X with nvidia set as current opengl and then change to X11 before running wine firefox. Otherwise no video output.

System B (amd64/ati HD 7850): audio only from FF 18 w/ SL4 or FF20-21 w/ SL5. Probably due to my current setup (video fglrx, vga and vesa, uvesa FB support), I currently cannot make work. Setting opengl to x11 here prior to starting x seems to provide no display and setting with X loaded prior to launching wine firefox still provides no video.

Perhaps for both the nouveau and radeon driver setups will work as expected, I'm curious what others report who may be using them, but the part where silverlight 5 doesn't seem to work seems to no longer be the case here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: