View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Slim not starting xsessions properly Reply with quote

EDIT: Ok after some testing with twm and xterm I verified that xorg-server is working, but slim was not loading the xsessions properly from /etc/X11/Sessions. When I use ~/.xinitrc and startx I can get xfce to load, so I know it's working, but not from slim.

EDIT: I've tried everything I can think of now, including editing /etc/env.d/90xsession, loading from the directory or from a list in slim.conf, and switching versions of slim. All I get is an empty xorg-server session.

Last edited by Incomplet on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mistwolf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the login screen of slim, what happens if you press F1?

On my system, by default, it loads Xsession, not XFCE, first, have to press F1 to select XFCE.

My slim.conf has the sessions variable commented out, try changing that to default to XFCE.

hope this helps.
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistwolf wrote:
On the login screen of slim, what happens if you press F1?

It cycles through the sessions as normal. I knew that, but they still don't load. I've rarely had to manually select a session, and even if I don't select one (which is typical) it usually still loads no problem.

Mistwolf wrote:
On my system, by default, it loads Xsession, not XFCE, first, have to press F1 to select XFCE.

Xsession is usually the last loaded, not the default.

Mistwolf wrote:
My slim.conf has the sessions variable commented out, try changing that to default to XFCE.

hope this helps.

Actually I tried that too, to see if I could force it to load ~/.xinitrc, but that doesn't seem to work either. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't an odd xorg issue, I'm gonna try updating to the latest minor rev and see if that doesn't help.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use ~/.xsession, not ~/.xinitrc
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that slim does by deafult when you select a session is to pass the session name to the script specified in login_command (which is /usr/share/slim/Xsession by default). This is a shell script, and for debugging you can insert commands here like e.g.
Code:
{echo 'New session'; printf '%s\n' "${@}"; } >>/tmp/selected_session

to output the actually passed parameters to /tmp/selected_session so that you can verify whether the right session name is passed. Now this script just executes the corresponding file in /etc/X11/Sessions if it is executable (resp. sources it in the current shell specified in login_command if it is not). So also in the /etc/X11/Sessions you can insert some similar code to check whether it is really called as intended.
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
All that slim does by deafult when you select a session is to pass the session name to the script specified in login_command (which is /usr/share/slim/Xsession by default). This is a shell script, and for debugging you can insert commands here like e.g.
Code:
{echo 'New session'; printf '%s\n' "${@}"; } >>/tmp/selected_session

to output the actually passed parameters to /tmp/selected_session so that you can verify whether the right session name is passed. Now this script just executes the corresponding file in /etc/X11/Sessions if it is executable (resp. sources it in the current shell specified in login_command if it is not). So also in the /etc/X11/Sessions you can insert some similar code to check whether it is really called as intended.

That makes sense, but leaves some questions. I changed login_cmd to:
Code:
login_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc

which shouldn't use /etc/X11/Sessions at all, but it still doesn't work. The problem seems to be what slim is or isn't passing to xorg. I forgot to do an fsck after formatting this disk (which did turn up some inconsistencies), so it's possible I'm getting weird artifacts from that. I'll check that next since nobody else seems to have this problem.
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have ck-launch-session in the .xinitrc? I had problem with this set up because older version of slim didn't do session initiation, but the newer version does. As result I would get 2 active sessions and things wouldn't work.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incomplet wrote:
I changed login_cmd to:
Code:

So you are not passing %session at all: Your ~/.xinitrc has no chance to know which session it should start. Even if you do pass it as a first parameter: Does your ~/.xinitrc honour the parameter appropriately?
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Incomplet wrote:
I changed login_cmd to:
Code:

So you are not passing %session at all: Your ~/.xinitrc has no chance to know which session it should start. Even if you do pass it as a first parameter: Does your ~/.xinitrc honour the parameter appropriately?

No I don't have ck-launch-session setup. No my xinitrc doesn't honor %session, it's entire contents are:
Code:
exec gnome-session-cinnamon

I think this is probably due to something in one of slim's dependencies, since fsck didn't seem to do anything either. I'm switching my system from amd64 to ~amd64 to see if that doesn't help. It tells me slim has to be rebuilt so hopefully it'll fix itself. Whatever it is, it's breaking slim no matter what method I try to use to start a session.

EDIT: Upgrading to ~amd64 was a disaster and I ended up having to start practically from scratch. I managed to get slim working by adding the script stuff for slim to .xinitrc, although I still have no idea why it wasn't working before.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: