Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New to Gentoo, used to Debian style "(none) login:"?????
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psfal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: New to Gentoo, used to Debian style "(none) login:" Reply with quote

Trying to install Gentoo, it scans for my hardware then boots to a screen that says (none) login:

I haven't set a login yet, I haven't installed anything yet, I find no reference to this in the installation guides. What's up? Is there a secret login to install this Distro?

TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to Gentoo, used to Debian style "(none) login:& Reply with quote

psfal wrote:
Trying to install Gentoo, it scans for my hardware then boots to a screen that says (none) login:

Which installation medium? Try "root"?
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very hard to tell from your description what you've done to get to where you are. If you are following the Gentoo Handbook, which step of it have you reached?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the automatic iso maker appears to have screwed up again.
suggest http://www.sysresccd.org/Download gentoo based, includes gui, works
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
the automatic iso maker appears to have screwed up again.

How sure are you about this? There is no guarantee that he is using it. I don't see a bug filed for this.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

three reports in two days
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
three reports in two days

Reported. https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=472026
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update -- just burned an x86 and an amd64 cd -- both booted properly to a command prompt -- did not select any boot options, my hardware likes linux, burn and download in gentoo machine -- confused operators or an unfortunate option or a hardware related problem??
install-amd64-minimal-20130516.iso
install-x86-minimal-20130528.iso
iamben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the fixinittab script isn't being triggered properly, somehow. I'm not able to reproduce this here, can someone seeing the issue try booting with:

"gentoo cdroot"
and
"gentoo console=tty0"

and see if either of those things makes a difference? Can you also look at the openrc messages and see if "* Adjusting inittab . . ." is among the last service started, and if it reports any errors at that time? I'd sure like to get to the bottom of this, it's been reported in #gentoo several times in the last week also.

edit: hmm, if it's not rewriting inittab properly then your tty is probably being cleared right before login: shows up, isn't it?
iamben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read things, what SHOULD happen is:

--isolinux appends "cdroot" to the kernel boot params automatically, for all cases
--this "cdroot" in cmdline gets detected in /sbin/livecd-functions.sh, and enables CDBOOT="yes"
--IF console=foo is passed, this too gets deteted in livecd-functions.sh and turns into LIVECD_CONSOLE="foo"

--as long as CDBOOT isn't blank, and LIVECD_CONSOLE is either empty or tty0, /etc/init.d/fixinittab rewrites inittab with mingetty --autologin lines, and autologin works

But I'm not sure where the process is currently (very very rarely) breaking down. I don't know if this helps anyone but I figured I'd get this written down while it's fresh in my mind this morning.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just insert a password to the stage4 so when it fails there is a fall back "root root" so the answers not "waste 4 hours downloading another iso on your isdsl........"
psfal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is apparently much more intensive than installing Ubuntu or Mint. I do not have the knowledge base, I thought it would be similar. So I started to print out the installation manual but my printer decided to take fatal exception to the task. This will have to wait until I replace/repair my printer.

What I did was attempt to install Gentoo 64bit by USB to my other laptop in an unused partition, but it all scrolled by faster than I could read it. I guess there were some commands I was supposed to use. It stopped at the "(none) login:" prompt

I tried on my Toshiba laptop with the 64bit minimal install on USB and on an old Desktop with 32bit minimal on CD when it became clear I could be screwing up my laptop.

This is going to have to wait until I can print out the complete install instructions and study it. I went off half-cocked thinking it would install like the other distributions I've used for the last 4 years. This will be a learning experience...

Thank you, I apologize for any inconvenience :oops:
iamben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psfal wrote:
Ok, this is apparently much more intensive than installing Ubuntu or Mint. I do not have the knowledge base, I thought it would be similar. So I started to print out the installation manual but my printer decided to take fatal exception to the task. This will have to wait until I replace/repair my printer.:
No worries, this is an issue that is affecting users new & old. In the mean time, you can install gentoo from an older minimal cd, or nearly any other modern linux livecd (like an Ubuntu or Mint cd). Basically you just need a root terminal with basic tools like fdisk/mkfs/tar/chroot, and you can install gentoo.

That said, I'm still hoping to find someone who can reproduce this issue and run some tests!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psfal,

I you start from System Rescue CD, either on CD or USB stick, you will not need a printed manual as you will have a GUI and browser.

You still follow the handbook in a root terminal.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative if you want to learn in a consequence free zone, you can use virtualbox or other free visualization software. That way you can learn what you are doing without risking an unbootable computer.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried my newly downloaded and burned cd's which had worked well on one machine on a different machine

both failed in the described manner --- (none) login: after the unusual message " no cdupdate.sh"
iamben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
just tried my newly downloaded and burned cd's which had worked well on one machine on a different machine

both failed in the described manner --- (none) login: after the unusual message " no cdupdate.sh"
I'm so jealous that you can reproduce it.
iamben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:

Is there any way you can screenshot or photo this screen and attach it?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll try to get a video of it, be a while, 2 weeks of portage updates in progress gets priority. --just got rma motherboard back and installed --
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96868680@N04/ -- video to snapshots, hard to read, maybe some info -- hwsetup failed then the login nonsense
alt-sysreq-o needed for exit without power/reset button, ctrl-alt-delete tried but failed

interestingly if i let the boot prompt timeout my installed gentoo will boot correctly, if i hit enter before timeout the cd almost boots
iamben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96868680@N04/ -- video to snapshots, hard to read, maybe some info -- hwsetup failed then the login nonsense
alt-sysreq-o needed for exit without power/reset button, ctrl-alt-delete tried but failed

interestingly if i let the boot prompt timeout my installed gentoo will boot correctly, if i hit enter before timeout the cd almost boots
Have you tried a checksum on the burned cd to make sure it's a good download & burn? I know it's unlikely this is the issue since so many people are seeing it, but worth checking.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as previously mentioned they (x86 and amd64)boot just fine on another machine

the has no problem with minimal install cd machine is a year and a half old with legacy bios

the has problem with minimal install cd machine is about 6 months with uefi bios being used in legacy mode
psfal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the instructions printed out now, I don't expect to have this installed in any kind of record time. I'm using an old desktop machine that it doesn't matter too much if I screw it up to play with it on.

Thanks all for the help, hints, suggestions and all, I'll be back with a little more knowledge under my belt soon I hope :)
rg.viza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: gentoo minimal installation cd (none) root: issue workaround Reply with quote

I'm really just regurgitating what's in the bug report (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=472026) as a workaround, but this will save you a click and needing to read bug report:

add ehci-pci.blacklist=yes to your kernel parameters like so:

boot: gentoo ehci-pci.blacklist=yes

this will slow your USB down to 1.1 speed during install, but it's better than usb not working ;)

I suppose you could also limit usb to 1.1 speed during installation procedure while using live USB, in your computer's bios settings, but I haven't tried that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: