Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How can I know next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 189

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: How can I know next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hey guys, this page http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources shows 3.8.13 and 3.7.10 kernels as stable. I suppose it's the LTS kernels, is this correct? Is somewhere a document or page I can always visit to see the next LTS kernel? And, in the link I passed you, what's the mean of the blank boxes in the table? Another strange thing is that kernels are unstable for some architetures and stable for anothers... is this related with testing the kernel and correcting bugs?

I hope next LTS kernel supports UVD for Radeon cards (I think kernel 3.10.xx supports it...) :roll:
_________________
Emerging en gentoo


Last edited by rudregues on Mon May 27, 2013 12:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 164

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
I hope next LTS kernel supports UVD for Radeon cards (I think kernel 3.10.xx supports it...) :roll:

The 3.9 series supports it, if you use gentoo-sources. The necessary patches are part of the gentoo patch set. Works fine for me, quite happy with it.

Do not use 3.7.10; there is a security bug that will not be fixed.

Your current LTS choices are 3.0, 3.2, 3.4. The next LTS will not depend on what gentoo-sources decides, but on what the kernel.org guys want to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aCOSwt
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Posts: 2382
Location: Hilbert space

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
Hey guys, this page http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources shows 3.8.13 and 3.7.10 kernels as stable. I suppose it's the LTS kernels, is this correct?

No! As far as the gentoo-sources are concerned LTS versions are on the 3.0 / 3.2 and 3.4 branches.
3.7 and 3.8 will never be.

You won't find anywere any official document telling you which branch will be the future gentoo-sources LTS.
Because... there is no such thing as a gentoo-sources LTS.
There are kernel branches that the gentoo-sources package maintainers decide to follow or not.
Their decision can change depending on the workforce available.

You won't find either any official page telling you which branch will be the next LTS kernel.
You just need to listen to well known kernel maintainers (there are not many) Greg Kroah-Hartman is probably the most active but you can also get Ben Hutchings (He is AFAIK the one following the 3.2). They might sometimes tell their intentions.
This recently apparently led to some confusions as you can read in a Greg K-H post on LKML related to the last revision on the 3.8

EDIT : Sorry kurly for this double post!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 5611
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.8 will be maintained by the Ubuntu folks so that sort of also will be a (semi-)LTS kernel

still waiting for a new update though
_________________
Unofficial minimal livecd x86/amd64 w/reiser4+truecrypt (by Neo2)
2.6.37.2_plus_v1: BFS, CFS,THP,compaction, zcache or TOI
Hardcore Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 189

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

kurly wrote:
rudregues wrote:
I hope next LTS kernel supports UVD for Radeon cards (I think kernel 3.10.xx supports it...) :roll:

The 3.9 series supports it, if you use gentoo-sources. The necessary patches are part of the gentoo patch set. Works fine for me, quite happy with it.

Do not use 3.7.10; there is a security bug that will not be fixed.

Your current LTS choices are 3.0, 3.2, 3.4. The next LTS will not depend on what gentoo-sources decides, but on what the kernel.org guys want to do.
All 3.9.xx kernels are marked as unstable in packages.gentoo, is really safe to use them? Since I'm a begginer I don't want to be at any risk.

kernelOfTruth,
generally I hear so bad about Ubuntu, people saying Ubuntu does't nothing or near zero for Linux in general and uses the results from hard work of another, like Red Hat etc. It is good to hear that, and very good to know this kernel will be "semi" LTS.

aCOSwt,
thanks for clarifying this for me
_________________
Emerging en gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 164

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
All 3.9.xx kernels are marked as unstable in packages.gentoo, is really safe to use them? Since I'm a begginer I don't want to be at any risk.

The 3.9.xx kernels work well for me. Using UVD does require the use of an alpha version of Mesa. If you are not comfortable doing that, then it might be better to wait for 3.10.xx. But it does work just fine for me. You just need to make sure you have the appropriate firmware in place: you may need to use "unstable" linux-firmware package for that.

If it helps, I use media-libs/mesa-9.2_pre20130515 with sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.9.4 and sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20130421.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 189

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

kurly wrote:

The 3.9.xx kernels work well for me. Using UVD does require the use of an alpha version of Mesa. If you are not comfortable doing that, then it might be better to wait for 3.10.xx. But it does work just fine for me. You just need to make sure you have the appropriate firmware in place: you may need to use "unstable" linux-firmware package for that.

If it helps, I use media-libs/mesa-9.2_pre20130515 with sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.9.4 and sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20130421.

Well, so I think it's better to me stay with current kernel and wait until UVD turns default with 3.10.xx
Thanks again.
_________________
Emerging en gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 5611
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
kurly wrote:
rudregues wrote:
I hope next LTS kernel supports UVD for Radeon cards (I think kernel 3.10.xx supports it...) :roll:

The 3.9 series supports it, if you use gentoo-sources. The necessary patches are part of the gentoo patch set. Works fine for me, quite happy with it.

Do not use 3.7.10; there is a security bug that will not be fixed.

Your current LTS choices are 3.0, 3.2, 3.4. The next LTS will not depend on what gentoo-sources decides, but on what the kernel.org guys want to do.
All 3.9.xx kernels are marked as unstable in packages.gentoo, is really safe to use them? Since I'm a begginer I don't want to be at any risk.

kernelOfTruth,
generally I hear so bad about Ubuntu, people saying Ubuntu does't nothing or near zero for Linux in general and uses the results from hard work of another, like Red Hat etc. It is good to hear that, and very good to know this kernel will be "semi" LTS.

aCOSwt,
thanks for clarifying this for me


yeah, that's a welcome change :)

I called it "semi" because I read that there were some changes that LTS releases are to be supported less long than before (I could be wrong though - will read about that later,
the only box which I maintain and uses Ubuntu right now is my dad's computer ^^)


https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/5/28/502

so the first release of the 3.8.x.y LTS kernel is in review state - nice 8)
_________________
Unofficial minimal livecd x86/amd64 w/reiser4+truecrypt (by Neo2)
2.6.37.2_plus_v1: BFS, CFS,THP,compaction, zcache or TOI
Hardcore Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aCOSwt
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Posts: 2382
Location: Hilbert space

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
I called it "semi" because I read that there were some changes that LTS releases are to be supported less long than before

I would agree with the "semi" qualifier but mainly because the canonical LTSes are, formally speaking, a fork of the linux kernel.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trigggl
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 210
Location: Arkansas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to use an LTS kernel (and stick with it long term), is the only way to do that to mask more recent kernels?
_________________
Greg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1356

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trigggl wrote:
So, to use an LTS kernel (and stick with it long term), is the only way to do that to mask more recent kernels?


There is no need to mask, just do something like `emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:3.4.60`.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trigggl
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 210
Location: Arkansas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
trigggl wrote:
So, to use an LTS kernel (and stick with it long term), is the only way to do that to mask more recent kernels?


There is no need to mask, just do something like `emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:3.4.60`.


Makes sense. Thanks.

I have seen a few articles that state that 3.10 is the latest LTS. I'll go with that one.
_________________
Greg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum