Keyboard typing random sequence on some keypresses
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JelteF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Keyboard typing random sequence on some keypresses Reply with quote

I've installed Gentoo on my IdeaPad Y500 and it's built-in keyboard is not functioning very well.
During most boots it randomly generates sequences of presses on some keypresses. Sometimes there is a lucky boot when this doesn't occur, but if it's not it's clear quite fast.
USB connected keyboards don't have the same problems.
I already sent the laptop back to Lenovo to replace the keyboard, but that didn't work.
I'm hoping for any software fixes that might work.

This is a dmesg output with my input devices.
Code:
# dmesg | grep input
[    1.624668] input: Power Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/device:01/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
[    1.625461] input: Sleep Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/device:01/PNP0C0E:00/input/input1
[    1.626263] input: Lid Switch as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input2
[    1.627076] input: Power Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input3
[    1.677490] input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/device:3a/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input4
[    2.907854] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input5
[    2.911684] input: Ideapad extra buttons as /devices/platform/ideapad/input/input6
[    3.386444] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input7

If more info is needed, like parts of my kernel config, please reply.
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check if that's not the touchpad generating those events, maybe you are brushing it with your hands and it's considered a keyboard input for some reason.
JelteF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:
check if that's not the touchpad generating those events, maybe you are brushing it with your hands and it's considered a keyboard input for some reason.

I will try this with a disabled touchpad and report back. Just removing synaptics from make.conf and rebuilding should do the trick right.
PS it also occurs in TTY, so it doesn't have anything to do with X.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JelteF wrote:
yoshi314 wrote:

I will try this with a disabled touchpad and report back. Just removing synaptics from make.conf and rebuilding should do the trick right. PS it also occurs in TTY, so it doesn't have anything to do with X.

JelteF ... the trackpad can be disabled without having to remove the package you can run 'synclient TouchpadOff=1'. Perhaps the following "toggle_trackpad" script will be of some use.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ $(synclient -l | awk '/TouchpadOff/{print $3}') = "0" ] ; then
    synclient TouchpadOff=1
else
    synclient TouchpadOff=0
fi

As for your problem you might also look at how fast repeat is set, see the 'xset' manpage, specificly the 'r' switch. Also, have you checked that the driver in use is the one for this hardware, as I remember there are a number of drivers available for ALPS so perhaps there is some conflict there (wild guess, but worth checking none the less).

best ... khay
JelteF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried disabling the touchpad like you said, it had no effect. Since it also happens in tty mode I doubt any X related settings would help and it is not that keys are repeated to often. It just starts typing some random sequences of keys.
I also tried disabling the synaptic driver, that didn't work as well. So I'm quite sure it is not something touchpad related.

Right now I'm trying to debug my kepresses using the evbug kernel module to try and find out what keys are being pressed.

Any other tips or options would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: