Installing without a Boot partition & configuring initramfs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
streak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Installing without a Boot partition & configuring initra Reply with quote

I naturally have a few partitions on my new system: var/log swap root. This is how I had it on my Slackware system in the past. So when the handbook suggested a Boot partition I went ahead without one. I configured my kernel manually. However, I have to use initramfs to use Gentoo, but when installing it (with "genkernel --install initramfs) I get a warning saying that it failed to mount /boot. I am not sure if that is an issue but I assume it is and that if I continue configuring the fstab and grub it will still not boot and it will be a waste of effort. There has to be a workaround without having to have a separate boot partition but I don't know what it is. Can anyone give me a hand?

Here is the warning:
Code:
(chroot) darkstar linux # genkernel --install initramfs
* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.4.45
* Running with options: --install initramfs

* Using genkernel.conf from /etc/genkernel.conf
* Sourcing arch-specific config.sh from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/config.sh ..
* Sourcing arch-specific modules_load from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/modules_load ..

* Linux Kernel 3.8.13-gentoo for x86_64...
* .. with config file /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/kernel-config
mount: special device /dev/BOOT does not exist
* WARNING: Failed to mount /boot!

* busybox: >> Using cache
* initramfs: >> Initializing...
*         >> Appending base_layout cpio data...
*         >> Appending auxilary cpio data...
*         >> Copying keymaps
*         >> Appending busybox cpio data...
*         >> Appending modules cpio data...
*         >> Appending blkid cpio data...
*         >> Appending modprobed cpio data...
*         >> Compressing cpio data (.xz)...

* WARNING... WARNING... WARNING...
* Additional kernel cmdline arguments that *may* be required to boot properly...
* With support for several ext* filesystems available, it may be needed to
* add "rootfstype=ext3" or "rootfstype=ext4" to the list of boot parameters.

* Do NOT report kernel bugs as genkernel bugs unless your bug
* is about the default genkernel configuration...
* Make sure you have the latest ~arch genkernel before reporting bugs.

EDIT: I should add that I now created a 32Mb Boot partition, mounted /boot onto it, and re-ran "genkernel --install initramfs" with the same warning. Not sure if I dug myself deeper and how to revert that change if need be.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Installing without a Boot partition & configuring in Reply with quote

streak wrote:
EDIT: I should add that I now created a 32Mb Boot partition, mounted /boot onto it, and re-ran "genkernel --install initramfs" with the same warning. Not sure if I dug myself deeper and how to revert that change if need be.

streak ... the string "/dev/BOOT" comes from /etc/fstab, its there as part of the stage3 and is ment to be edited/commented to reflect your actual partition layout. Its being parsed by genkernel and obviously no such device exists, hence the warning. So, edit /etc/fstab and add the device paths for rootfs, swap, boot, etc. You should have no issues subsequently.

BTW, there is no obligation to have a seperate /boot you can use {rootfs}/boot for the kernel, bootloader, etc

best ... khay
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't /dev/BOOT the default name found in the default fstab provide at install, something anyone must change (in your case, remove).
So did you just forget it ?
streak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks. Yes, it is as simple as removing that fstab line and rebuilding initramfs. I'm a bit embarrassed by this post. Thanks.
yak_king
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: There are many of us learning from these forums! Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a bit embarrassed by this post.

Thank you so much for posting questions with simple solutions. Remember there are many of us who spend years lurking in the background on these boards learning from instances just like this! There is no such thing as something too simple for some of us! :D Hope your gentoo experience has been a blast since this post! Thanks, Buddy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: