[solved]problem with matlab display
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: [solved]problem with matlab display Reply with quote

Hi, I am running matlab 2012a on my laptop. It worked well before. But I don't know from when the display interface doesn't work. when I start matlab with display environment, all windows are gone (ex. commander ... including the menu bar). Actually, they are there, but the interface is grey. I can click the mouse and use the shortcut and it works but I can't see them. Matlab display environment is based on java. I don't know what I missed. I moved to awesome from xfce4, and removed nearly all packages of xfce4. Could anyone please tell me how to solve it? Thanks

Last edited by pd1986 on Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ExZombie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, awesome :) . It's awesome, but some braindead programs just refuse to work well. Anyway, for matlab, there are two things you need. First is exporting LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=true. The other is a workaround for the fact that java requires a reparenting window manager, which awesome isn't. However, Sun used to have a non-reparenting window manager of its own, called Looking Glass I think. So if you change the name of your window manager to the appropriate string, java GUIs will work properly. You can use wmname to do that. I forget the details since I don't use awesome anymore, but now you have some keywords to google :) .
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExZombie wrote:
Ah, yes, awesome :) . It's awesome, but some braindead programs just refuse to work well. Anyway, for matlab, there are two things you need. First is exporting LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=true. The other is a workaround for the fact that java requires a reparenting window manager, which awesome isn't. However, Sun used to have a non-reparenting window manager of its own, called Looking Glass I think. So if you change the name of your window manager to the appropriate string, java GUIs will work properly. You can use wmname to do that. I forget the details since I don't use awesome anymore, but now you have some keywords to google :) .

So you mean it's not because that I missed some libruaries? If I run matlab under xfce again. it will be back?
ExZombie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe so. But you don't need to go back to xfce, since it can be made to work in awesome. Simply do as I said above, and read this.
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExZombie wrote:
Yes, I believe so. But you don't need to go back to xfce, since it can be made to work in awesome. Simply do as I said above, and read this.

Thanks a lot.
Code:
wmname LG3D
solves the problem
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: