Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
how do I get the console on all monitors (multi-gpu) ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: how do I get the console on all monitors (multi-gpu) ? Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I booted up my gentoo system, and was greeted by the console on whichever monitor I happened to turn on... it was the same thing on all monitors, but it was _on_ all monitors...

Now it only shows up on one of them.

I'm not talking about anything X11 related.. just the normal console...

I would imagine this is easily solved by a kernel option or something similar but I sure can't find it! Please enlighten me!

Thanks!

Last edited by nasaiya on Sun May 19, 2013 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMS does this by default. What driver are you using?
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I was not aware of KMS, but a couple searches led me to try changing framebuffer console drivers in an attempt to make it work. That failed so I then disabled framebuffer console support entirely. I also noticed on the archlinux wiki they mentioned that any "vga=" or similar option in bootloader configs could interfere with the KMS behavior so I also removed that from my lilo.conf.

Still no luck though... am I correct in assuming you were referring to fbcon drivers? Or did you mean something else I'm not aware of?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those are the fbcon drivers. You'll know if you have them working correctly because /proc/fb will list something with "drm" in the name.
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you've definitely got me started in the right direction - Thanks!

I think I failed to think this question through completely before posting... I think the actual issue is can I have simultaneous output on multiple graphics cards? I recently added a second one so I could run triple-head with X... and it just so happens that the motherboard thinks the second one is the primary (at least I assume so because that's where the bios messages appear)... which is fine because I can switch slots if need be, but it would be very nice to have an fbcon on both cards...

I didn't post back till now because I hadn't had time to actually research the multi-gpu issue, and I generally prefer to try to research before asking for help.

That being said, any idea if this is possible? Or more specifically is there a particular driver you could point me to that supports this? I've been playing with uvesafb a little, and I use the proprietary nvidia drivers (both cards are nvidia) for X so nvidia is out as far as I know...

This seems to be a difficult topic to search for or rather figure out what to search to find what I need!

Thanks!
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using proprietary drivers and uvesafb then it's unlikely to ever work properly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: