OpenStack ebuild?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: OpenStack ebuild? Reply with quote

I was wondering whether anyone has built an ebuild for OpenStack?
I would be interested in trying it.

This cloud computing software has quite a bit of dependencies which makes compilation from source a bit tedious.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=openstack+ebuild
melinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I hadn't found that in my searching..
Will try that..
melinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mainly am searching for is an ebuild for openstack's nova compute. The link seems to be for swift instead.
Thanks anyway.
alunduil
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just created a preliminary live ebuild for nova that might be useful but needs a lot of work still. If you want to get me some feedback on how to deploy it once installed I would be willing to write init scripts and other subsidiary items.

The ebuild is in my overlay, http://www.alunduil.com/alunduil-overlay/.
gentoo-freak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: using openstack in gentoo Reply with quote

alunduil wrote:
I've just created a preliminary live ebuild for nova that might be useful but needs a lot of work still. If you want to get me some feedback on how to deploy it once installed I would be willing to write init scripts and other subsidiary items.

The ebuild is in my overlay, http://www.alunduil.com/alunduil-overlay/.

hey dude's,

this is how i using this so far. alunduil, you should update your postings to the right direction.

Code:
cat overlays/openstack-overlay.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE repositories SYSTEM "/dtd/repositories.dtd">
<repositories xmlns="" version="1.0">
<repo quality="experimental" status="unofficial">
        <name>openstack</name>
        <description>Openstack Nova ebuilds and dependencies</description>
        <homepage>https://github.com/hyves-org/openstack-overlay</homepage>
        <owner type="project">
                <email>cor@hyves.nl</email>
                <name>Cor Cornelisse</name>
        </owner>
        <source type="git">https://github.com/hyves-org/openstack-overlay.git</source>
   <!--<source type="git">git://github.com/hyves-org/openstack-overlay.git</source>-->

<feed>https://github.com/hyves-org/openstack-overlay/commits/master.atom</feed>
</repo>
</repositories>

since two or three, month's there are two ebuilds about openstack quantum in there.

you found in above openstack overlay:

Code:

[I] net-misc/quantum [2]
     Available versions:  (~)9999
     Installed versions:  9999[?](20:58:24 01/30/13)
     Homepage:            http://wiki.openstack.org/Quantum
     Description:         Quantum is an incubated OpenStack project to provide 'network connectivity as a service' between interface devices (e.g., vNICs) managed by other Openstack services (e.g., nova).

if you see following:

Code:

vm01 layman # equery m sys-cluster/quantum
 * sys-cluster/quantum [gentoo]
Herd:        python (python@gentoo.org)
Maintainer:  prometheanfire@gentoo.org (Matthew Thode)
Upstream:    None specified
Homepage:    https://launchpad.net/quantum
Keywords:    2012.2.3-r1:0: ~amd64 ~x86

Code:

vm01 layman # equery m net-misc/quantum
!!! Package net-misc/quantum-9999 is missing metadata.xml

can you explain to me, where's the ebuild generated ? Imo this is a tiny config in jenkins or someth like that...
is there any working build process for the openstack components on gentoo ? if so please let me know.

greetz gentoo-freak
alunduil
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gentoo-freak,

I see you've got hyves' overlay installed via layman but the output you provide from eix isn't clear enough to see where the build you're using is coming from. Can you provide the overly list as well as the package list when you do eix quantum?

The net-misc/quantum package looks like it's from hyves but the sys-cluster/quantum package is the work that prometheanfire has done on packaging OpenStack. I would recommend using the sys-cluster version as that's part of the tree proper. I can tell you that prometheanfire wrote the ebuild that I'm recommending and that it was not generated at all.

There is no Jenkins build process for these ebuilds.

The OpenStack components you've found in the tree should all be working and if not, bugs should be submitted in the Gentoo bugzilla.

I've also alerted prometheanfire to this thread on the forum so you can get his input as well. If you have any other questions or I missed anything, let me know and I'll try to help out with those as well.

Which components of OpenStack are you looking for that you can't find in the tree?

Regards,

Alex Brandt
prometheanfire
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo,

I've added the various openstack packages to the tree (except horizon because of the state it is in).

The ebuilds should be working for you (though some are missing init scripts for now, but still working).

Even made a project page :D
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/virtualization/openstack/
gentoo-freak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: I think you're kidding me ? xD Reply with quote

Dude xD you're just kidding me...??!

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/virtualization/openstack/

let us start a little doc / thread about experience / running openstack on gentoo.

Need more input.

Greetz
prometheanfire
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, setting up my environment now actually. Still need init scripts, but the ebuilds are up to date (more so then ubuntu funnily enough). I'm hopping that we can become one of the OS's that openstack is tested on (jenkins and the like will be needed).
gentoo-freak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: openstack-dev Reply with quote

hey dude,

theres a repo called "puppetlabs-openstack_dev_env" there you will find some configs and pointers to the right direction, imo.
cause of strict usage. porting all these into ebuilds will be hard but useful.

what do you think about it ?

yes, jenkins is quite an option xD oh man this day -.-

init scripts are not all of the majors. there sems to be a problem with webob at the end of the horizon build as well as compilation failures with nova.

how can we help to become the os that openstack is testet for ?

greetz
prometheanfire
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, that's kinda the direction I want to head (helps that I maintain the puppet ebuild as well :D).

webob is a pain that I think upstream is dealing with as well though, but it'll likely be havana before they fix that (or later).

Right now I am working on getting all the basic stuff in (initscripts like I said before). Once that's done we can finish out the rough edges.
gentoo-freak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: packstack with mod's to gentoo openstack Reply with quote

Greetz Guy's,

sry for delay but prior to this missing scripts, i'll have my setup now working but not cleanly on gentoo...

basic hardware setup is ASUS WS Supercomputer for PCIe Performance including 4port 3ware RAID (actually in there) with Netgear GS110T, to bridge LAB's via FC and the ( as my LED held said last year) bottleneck is fixed with SSD's.

some centos for the packstack part is still needed and the CI/CD part is still missing for me...

i personaly need the information what drivers are available in gentoo baremetal with nova / quantum in case of networking and integration with some, maybe webbased UI to mange all network information as well as a way to integrate CEPH in this setup.

I want to collect many data with some Celestron / Skywatcher telescope to figure out more information about the actually state of #CERN #physics and #education in #astronomy.

Do a Library for future to only keep data on HotPlug HDD's under the technology of crush algorythm as i have many virtual machine setups
    (from vmdk to a raw and vhd's)

these are ready to migrate into cloud computing technologies with software defined network as prior focus but how if gentoo is fav and not stable ?

as bencord0 said.. we are waiting for our gentoo dev's to push all things together in portage to test things frequently, in my case, on upstream path as seperate virtual kvm lab...and (more or less) stable on actually setup in centos 6 baremetal.

https://bencord0.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/base/#more-3865

some kind of awk and / or sed magic should be able to change / modify path's to minimum install req on gentoo...or in puppet scripts to fully integrate in some kind of management UI for deployment cases.

it's some kind of no bread to eat even if you see it...u know ?

*push* the gentoo way of installing software here, as gentoo is a distribution with many ways of automation and even with security focus on hardned systems.

point us here to the #docs needed to push development on #OpenStack #Gentoo and i'll get in deeper in future if needed and also with the GLIS Project

http://glis.sourceforge.net/ as a possible integration point for #OpenStack on #Gentoo

greetz
gentoo-freak
prometheanfire
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, docs need to be worked on, CI/CD is actually one of the things that I'm targeting.

I'm in #gentoo-hardened and #gentoo-virtualization basically at all times so feel free to ask questions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: