View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kahrkunne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Can't startx Reply with quote

I installed kde-meta (took like 3 hours 0.0), now I'm trying to do startx
Gives me the following

xauth: file /root/.serverauth.17495 does not exist
xauth file /root/.Xauthority does not exit
xauth: file /root/.Xauthority does not exist

/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: /usr/bin/X: No such file or directory
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

(this is running it as root. If I run it as normal user it gives me file /home/[name]/whatever does not exist. This is the only difference.

Last edited by kahrkunne on Sat May 11, 2013 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like X server is not installed.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kahrkunne,

From this and some of your other posts, you have taken the install it all then throw the switch and look for smoke approach to Gentoo.

You get better results if you install it and configure it in small pieces, making sure each bit works before you install and configure the next bit that depends on what you already have. Its OK to build th way you have - you have all the bits, you just need to set them up and test in the right order.

To sort out Xorg, we need to see the following information (you cannot copy type it) :-
lspci - we need to know your graphics card
emerge --info output, in particular, VIDEO_CARDS= and INPUT_DEVICES=
xorg.conf, if you have one.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

You need networking to post most of the above, so fix that first.

Oh, do not run Xorg as root - bad things happen and it uses a root only search path to find xorg.conf.

As Jaglover implies, kde-meta probably does not depend on Xorg. You don't actually need Xorg to run KDE unless you want to display the output on the same machine that KDE is running on. Its quite OK to have KDE on one system and Xorg on another to draw the output.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
kahrkunne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will sort out the networking issue first, then. Thanks.

EDIT: Got the network sorted out!
Emerging Xorg-x11 gives me some error about USE changes.
Tried with the --autounmask-write flag and then doing something-conf (forgot what it was) to fix it.
It's installing now. Will make this thread as solved if I get it to work.

Heh.
blahblah.tar.bz2 blahblah size;-) looks like a smiley.

Again, sorry for me being a total noob.
I'm pretty much only used to things like ubuntu where everything is nicely pre-installed for you. Tried gentoo because that's the only one that stands out from the rest (along with Arch, but Arch is pretty edgy)

EDIT:
Ok now it starts X. It doesn't start kde though, only x with a couple of xterms and xclock.
Sort of expected that.
Now how do I get it to launch kde? I'm not saying that default X is crapugly but well... It's crapugly.
Also where is the sudoers file again?
And where does it even report "this incident" to?

EDIT: Marking this as solved.
Got everything working.
moniaqua
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that I step in here, I know this post is kind of old :oops: But getting xfce fly is exactly where I am stuck right now with same error message.
NeddySeagoon wrote:

You get better results if you install it and configure it in small pieces, making sure each bit works before you install and configure the next bit that depends on what you already have. Its OK to build th way you have - you have all the bits, you just need to set them up and test in the right order.

Well, I did my very best. I got more far than ever before on installing gentoo - got a running tripleboot with Ubuntu, windows and Gentoo (not yet with xfce); documentation really has improved a lot the last years. Got networking, at least ethernet (not yet wireless, but I am optimistic - just sort out the other stuff for now) working, got my user for testing, so long that's fine.
NeddySeagoon wrote:

To sort out Xorg, we need to see the following information (you cannot copy type it) :-
lspci - we need to know your graphics card
emerge --info output, in particular, VIDEO_CARDS= and INPUT_DEVICES=
xorg.conf, if you have one.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

You need networking to post most of the above, so fix that first.

I am too much of a noob to be able to get those things in a post being in console on lynx. :oops: But that wouldn't be a problem. Only, somehow I found https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xfce before it came to my mind that for xfce xorg would be beneficial and found https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xfce/Guide. Btw, is there such thing as "reinstall" in emerge/portage?
A page at the end of the handbook like "for kde go there, for gnome there, for xorg/xfce there" might have helped :)
Now I am trying to sort that out, my guess is it is some configuration glitch.
Anyway, I'd like to drop a "thank you" for all the people who asked "stupid questions" so that I didn't need to ask and for all the people who answer them patiently.
And yes, if I can't figure it out by myself I'll do my very best to find out how to post tons of text without the wonderful copy&paste function of a desktop :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: