games-roguelike/adom needs an upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: games-roguelike/adom needs an upgrade Reply with quote

the roguelike ADOM has released a new version after a relaunch-kickstarter, quite some time ago. gentoo only offers the old version 1.1.1. luckily it's binary-only distribution anyway, so just go to http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com and replace your previous installation. however, would be nice if someone would monitor this thing because the next version is promised to come with graphics and sound -- i.e. new dependencies...

as a reminder, ADOM is not open-source, but it still is for free. also, upgrading to a new version usually invalidates all save-games though.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go file a bump request on bugs.gentoo.org, might have better luck than posting here!
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think so:
ADOM site wrote:
This is the lastest publicly available prerelease.
The next prereleases (Prerelease 6 and above) will only be available
to people who pledged at least $25 in the ADOM resurrection campaign.

Many things have been changed since ADOM 1.1.1 (bug fixes, typos).
Additionally some things behave different from the previous version,
so before you post a bug report, please check the issue tracker first.
It might be new intentional behaviour.

Please note that this software is considered to be in alpha status.
So this is far from "free".

As for ADOM II, this is said to be postcard-ware. But how long?
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the prereleases will be for exclusive members only.
the final release however will be free, as is a prerelease posted beginning of this year.
more exactly there will be 2 final versions, one free and one paid on steam.
but both versions will be with graphics and sound made by paid artists.
as for actual "freeness" I am not sure, I think the author disallows mirroring of the binaries.
but that hasn't stopped gentoo from distributing adom anyway...
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for information: there's a new version out, again a free download for everyone, this time with tiles and such. I also filed a version-bump for this. maybe someone could make an ebuild, since now the dependencies are a bit more complicated? basically it would be best if all the free libs in the binary distribution would be replaced by the actual gentoo versions...
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that ADOM II will ever make it into the tree. The reason is the license:
http://www.adom.de/adom-ii/downloads/javawebstart/index.php wrote:
Additionally you are required to abide by the following licensing terms:
  • You will not decompile or reverse engineer ADOM II.
  • You will not use ADOM II as a whole or parts of ADOM II in other projects.
  • You will not modify ADOM II or any parts of it.
  • You will not redistribute ADOM II in any way. The download via http://www.adom.de is the sole source of distribution.
  • You will not charge anyone for using ADOM II.
  • You will not challenge the intellectual property rights of the author.
  • You accept that ADOM II comes without any warranty of any kind and that the author cannot be held responsible for any damage to your system or data accidentally (by bug or system error) caused to your system or data.

Downloading, storing or starting ADOM II shows that you agree with above terms.
This is as far away from FOSS as possible.

Oh, and by the way: I can't find any option to actually download anything that is not a "Java Web Start" package.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, ADOM, one of the first games along with Ultima V (and earlier) as well as Angband (and the likes) that I played a lot!

Yamakuzure wrote:
Oh, and by the way: I can't find any option to actually download anything that is not a "Java Web Start" package.

Indeed that looks to be the case for the time being for ADOM II, even though there is this:
Not sure what that would do, and how it would work for Gentoo, if at all. It also seems like that post appeared years ago... oh well!

Personally I'm not too interested on ADOM II for some reason. I feel like I should. I guess if I try to not think about it being called ADOM as well, I could give it a try!

Not too keen on things-Java either. Methinks I'll just stick to the ASCII world...
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it. And the first thing to do is to choose the key setting. Unfortunately, I can't. I am prompted to hit 1,2,3 or 4, but whatever key I press, nothing happens. 'rm' is my friend...
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm, my post was about adom and not about adomII. original adom is not a java program!
there is a new version of the original adom out, development of adomII is on halt for that purpose.
to try it out:
go to http://www.ancardia.com/ click on download, and choose the version you prefer.
I did pick the ubuntu-version with noteye.
then I installed all the libs in adom/lib (except for noteye) and created symlinks from system-libs to that dir.
everything works nicely.

I made a version-bump request because I'd like this to be done automatically (and there already is an ebuild ready for testing).
it is true that license is restrictive (for most games that's the case). it isn't allowed to store the binaries in gentoo repositories for distribution.
actually the ebuild package of the old adom version is already violating that license too, as the license didn't change.
but this is not the first time a manual download was necessary for installing an ebuild...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: