Very odd page tears (prop. nvidia)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hexorg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Very odd page tears (prop. nvidia) Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Recently I started noticing very weird screen page tears in every environment: 2D windows, Compositing windows (metacity), OpenGL, and whatever VLC uses to draw videos in. The reason I say they are wierd, is because it's not a normal horizontal line page tear. Instead, it is a checker pattern of 2 (maybe 3, hard to tell) rows. I tried switching "Sync to VBlank" both on and off in nvidia-settings, but it didn't help. Has anyone seen anything similar? Any suggestions what to look for? Thank you!

P.S. NVidia driver version 313.30
Spent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Very odd page tears (prop. nvidia) Reply with quote

Hexorg wrote:
Hello everyone. Recently I started noticing very weird screen page tears in every environment: 2D windows, Compositing windows (metacity), OpenGL, and whatever VLC uses to draw videos in. The reason I say they are wierd, is because it's not a normal horizontal line page tear. Instead, it is a checker pattern of 2 (maybe 3, hard to tell) rows. I tried switching "Sync to VBlank" both on and off in nvidia-settings, but it didn't help. Has anyone seen anything similar? Any suggestions what to look for? Thank you!

P.S. NVidia driver version 313.30

The only time I've seen anything like that was do to the card overheating. Have you looked at the temperature of the card? Is the fan and heatsink on the card filled with dust?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Very odd page tears (prop. nvidia) Reply with quote

Hexorg wrote:
2 (maybe 3, hard to tell) rows

Where on the screen? If consistently very near the top, it could be software vsync (which is near the top rather than right at the top because the software method has a slight, unwanted delay).
Hexorg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temperature is fine - 42*C, so I don't think that's it. And the tears are not at the top, they are all over the screen. I'll try to capture it with a camera.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: