View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Gentoo's bindist Firefox Aurora and Firefox's Aurora Reply with quote

I see from this post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-954202-highlight-aurora.html
that emerging Firefox when using the bindist flag (which I did) results in Firefox being renamed to Aurora.

This page: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/
invites one to download and try the latest Firefox Aurora.

Is there any connection other than the name between Gentoo's "bindist" Firefox/Aurora and Firefox's Aurora?

Also, does using the Gentoo "branding" flag (which I did) in any way alter how Firefox looks? (this is probably a "duh" question). Even allowing for the name change, Gentoo's "bindist" Firefox looks a bit odd, for example with gigantic icons at the bottom. For a moment I thought somehow I had actually installed some other browser, until I realized that the menu options all looked familiar.

A slightly confused,
Elle Stone
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Firefox 17 default start page does just have large icons at the bottom. As the first thing I normally do with a new Firefox install is set "about:blank" as the home page, I guess I just never scrolled down that far before.

However, the original question remains: the bindist version of gentoo Firefox uses the name "Aurora"; so is the Aurora browser downloadable from Mozilla simply an unbranded Firefox? Or something else? It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious.

Elle
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE=bindist — since it implies you intend to redistribute the compiled package to others — disables the proprietary "Firefox" branding, which needs special trademark agreements which Gentoo (and its users) don't have access to. What you get instead is the Mozilla-approved fallback branding that they ship with prebuilt betas.
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What you get instead is the Mozilla-approved fallback branding that they ship with prebuilt betas.

Ah, now it makes sense. Thanks! I had never heard of Aurora before. Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox
Quote:
In April 2011, the development process was split into several "channels", each working on a build in a different stage of development. The most recent available build is called "Nightly Builds" and offers the latest, untested features and updates. The "Aurora" build is up to six weeks behind "Nightly" and offers functionality that has undergone basic testing. The "Beta" channel is another six weeks away. It provides improved stability over the nightly builds and is the first development milestone that has the "Firefox" logo.

Elle
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: