How to clean the forum frontend?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonasstein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: How to clean the forum frontend? Reply with quote

Hi, the default design of this forum is very overloaded. How can I disable signatures (mostly used for jokes that exceed the length of the answers)?
Any other hints how to purify the ui to retrieve the focus on the content?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to clean the forum frontend? Reply with quote

jonasstein wrote:
Hi, the default design of this forum is very overloaded. How can I disable signatures (mostly used for jokes that exceed the length of the answers)?
Any other hints how to purify the ui to retrieve the focus on the content?

In your profile you have the option to disable a couple of things, such as avatars. But it's not too configurable.

You could use something like the stylish estension to apply a custom css sheet to a given site. That will allow you to hide ui elements easily, though the contents will still be downloaded and hence it will take the same bandwidth and almost the same time to load (rendering will be faster though).
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@i92guboj there seems to be no specific class or id for user signatures so using css is not an option there.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of many common complaints. Unfortunately there's no end in sight.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@likewhoa, you are right. I knew there wasn't a class or id for that, but I thought there would be some kind of pattern that would allow us to select it, if only for newer browsers using something like nth-child or even ugliest things like content, but now that I look at it I see there's no way to select just the signatures for all the cases.

This is something that amazes me about all these php web apps. They have selectors that will never be used for anything, thousands of them, while lacking the really important ones.

@Ant P., the age of the phpbb engine in this forums has been debated to death, the only real solution would be for anyone that knows enough about phpbb, databases and which can bother to become a Gentoo developer, to actually do it. Until then, it simply won't happen, as I see it...
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean the forum frontend? Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
You could use something like the stylish estension to apply a custom css sheet to a given site. That will allow you to hide ui elements easily, though the contents will still be downloaded and hence it will take the same bandwidth and almost the same time to load (rendering will be faster though).

Oh, since you mention css and userstyles: Are you still maintaining http://userstyles.org/styles/6707/dark-gentoo-forums ?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean the forum frontend? Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
i92guboj wrote:

Oh, since you mention css and userstyles: Are you still maintaining http://userstyles.org/styles/6707/dark-gentoo-forums ?

Not really, but if you are aiming at the broken logo at the top of these forums, I have a local copy which fixes that. If you are interested I might clean the css sheet and upload it.

That probably broke in some of the later forum updates. Not sure when since I rarely use stylish or the like these days.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean the forum frontend? Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
If you are interested I might clean the css sheet and upload it.

That probably broke in some of the later forum updates. Not sure when since I rarely use stylish or the like these days.

Ah, too bad.
I was looking for a dark version of these forums, since bright websites annoy me to no end. I was kindof hoping you kept an updated copy which you just never uploaded anymore.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Gentoo Forums Feedback.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to clean the forum frontend? Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
i92guboj wrote:
If you are interested I might clean the css sheet and upload it.

Ah, too bad.
I was looking for a dark version of these forums, since bright websites annoy me to no end. I was kindof hoping you kept an updated copy which you just never uploaded anymore.

I've fixed the logo issue, and also tidied up a bit the menu and the search widget, the updated css is here:

http://userstyles.org/styles/6707/dark-gentoo-forums?r=1367997735

If you have some concrete issues with that css I can try to fix them (when I get the time to do so, no promises...), but we should continue that privately, I don't want to hijack this thread.

ps. I strongly advice in favor of the usage of the tango gentoo icon theme from ekz, because the stock icons will look like crap in this forum if you use a dark background.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: