Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Message from emerge somewhat esoteric to standard user.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
augustin2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Message from emerge somewhat esoteric to standard user. Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a basic user of Gentoo. I mean I am not a developer and, despite some technical background, I may encounter problems in understanding some message that are given by emerge.
Of course, there is the documentation that is pretty good that help understanding a lot of thing but there are some topics that are not easy to localize.

My current problem is with use flags.
Sometime emerge gives directions like this :

Quote:

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
(see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by kde-base/pykde4-4.10.1
# required by kde-base/lokalize-4.10.1
# required by lokalize (argument)
=dev-python/PyQt4-4.9.6-r2 webkit declarative sql script

* IMPORTANT: 8 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

This is rather clear and I (me the basic user) understand that I should add =dev-python/PyQt4-4.9.6-r2 webkit declarative sql script in /etc/portage/package.use.

In other cases, the message is more complex like this one :
Quote:

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "dev-lang/php" has unmet requirements.
- dev-lang/php-5.4.13::gentoo USE="berkdb bzip2 cli crypt ctype exif fileinfo filter gdbm hash iconv ipv6 json ldap nls phar posix readline session simplexml spell ssl tokenizer truetype unicode xml zlib -apache2 -bcmath -calendar -cdb -cgi -cjk -curl -curlwrappers -debug -doc -embed -enchant -firebird -flatfile -fpm (-frontbase) -ftp -gd -gmp -imap -inifile -intl -iodbc -kerberos -ldap-sasl -libedit -mhash -mssql -mysql -mysqli -mysqlnd -oci8-instant-client -odbc -pcntl -pdo -postgres -qdbm -recode (-selinux) -sharedmem -snmp -soap -sockets -sqlite (-sybase-ct) -sysvipc -threads -tidy -wddx -xmlreader -xmlrpc -xmlwriter -xpm -xsl -zip"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
truetype? ( gd ) exif? ( gd )

The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
truetype? ( gd ) cjk? ( gd ) exif? ( gd ) xpm? ( gd ) gd? ( zlib ) simplexml? ( xml ) soap? ( xml ) wddx? ( xml ) xmlrpc? ( any-of ( xml iconv ) ) xmlreader? ( xml ) xsl? ( xml ) ldap-sasl? ( ldap ) mhash? ( hash ) phar? ( hash ) mysqlnd? ( any-of ( mysql mysqli pdo ) ) qdbm? ( !gdbm ) readline? ( !libedit ) recode? ( !imap !mysql !mysqli ) sharedmem? ( !threads ) !cli? ( !cgi? ( !fpm? ( !apache2? ( !embed? ( cli ) ) ) ) )

(dependency required by "dev-php/PEAR-PHP_Beautifier-0.1.15" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "PEAR-PHP_Beautifier" [argument])

This is probably very clear to a developer that has learned this strange language. To me (the basic user) is not very readable. What is the meaning of the ? mark after a flag and the meaning of the parenthesis and square brakets ?
How to understand this mysterious language and know what to add in /etc/portage/package.use ?
If somebody could teach me a bit or point me to the appropriate page in the documentation, I would be very happy :
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Message from emerge somewhat esoteric to standard user. Reply with quote

augustin2 wrote:
In other cases, the message is more complex like this one :
Quote:

- dev-lang/php-5.4.13::gentoo USE="berkdb bzip2 cli crypt ctype exif fileinfo filter gdbm hash iconv ipv6 json ldap nls phar posix readline session simplexml spell ssl tokenizer truetype unicode xml zlib -apache2 -bcmath -calendar -cdb -cgi -cjk -curl -curlwrappers -debug -doc -embed -enchant -firebird -flatfile -fpm (-frontbase) -ftp -gd -gmp -imap -inifile -intl -iodbc -kerberos -ldap-sasl -libedit -mhash -mssql -mysql -mysqli -mysqlnd -oci8-instant-client -odbc -pcntl -pdo -postgres -qdbm -recode (-selinux) -sharedmem -snmp -soap -sockets -sqlite (-sybase-ct) -sysvipc -threads -tidy -wddx -xmlreader -xmlrpc -xmlwriter -xpm -xsl -zip"

No, it's not as difficult as you think.

The last line tells you, that you have set the optional USE-Flags: truetype and exif. And if you have set those flags, you have to activate gd too. That's all.
augustin2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your fast answer. I made a step. Fine.

But I still feel perplex in front of this very long list ? What is this complete expression for ?

Quote:

truetype? ( gd ) cjk? ( gd ) exif? ( gd ) xpm? ( gd ) gd? ( zlib ) simplexml? ( xml ) soap? ( xml ) wddx? ( xml ) xmlrpc? ( any-of ( xml iconv ) ) xmlreader? ( xml ) xsl? ( xml ) ldap-sasl? ( ldap ) mhash? ( hash ) phar? ( hash ) mysqlnd? ( any-of ( mysql mysqli pdo ) ) qdbm? ( !gdbm ) readline? ( !libedit ) recode? ( !imap !mysql !mysqli ) sharedmem? ( !threads ) !cli? ( !cgi? ( !fpm? ( !apache2? ( !embed? ( cli ) ) ) ) )

Why only truetype and exif have been selected (isolated) ?

and what about this two final lines ? Particularly with the elements in square brakets [ebuild] [argument]
Quote:

What exactly should I write in /etc/portage/package.use ? I added
Quote:
=dev-php/PEAR-PHP_Beautifier-0.1.15 gd
and it changed nothing !

Where can I learn more to feel completely at ease ?
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin2 wrote:

Code:

Why only truetype and exif have been selected (isolated) ?

Because of the whole list you have only selected truetype and exif in your current USE-Flags, which don't match the requirements.
  • cjk, xpm, wddx, ... are not set, so there's no need the check.
  • simplexml is set, but xml is already set too. So there's also nothing to do.
  • xmlrpc? ( any-of ( xml iconv ) ) means, you need at least one of xml or iconv

augustin2 wrote:
Code:

means, PEAR-PHP_Beautifier-0.1.15 is the ebuild, which requires PHP built with the certain flags. If you deinstall PEAR-PHP_Beautifier, you wouldn't have to modify those PHP related flags.

augustin2 wrote:
What exactly should I write in /etc/portage/package.use ?

The unsatisfied constraints from above:
Code:

- dev-lang/php-5.4.13::gentoo USE="..."

So, the problematic package isn't PEAR-PHP_Beautifier-0.1.15, but PHP.

/etc/portage/package.use/something.use:

dev-lang/php gd

augustin2 wrote:
Where can I learn more to feel completely at ease ?

augustin2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much musv.
Light is coming undoubtedly !
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually recommend to set the gd flag globally (in make.conf). Package-specific USE flags can give you lots of trouble in the long run.

You can read more about REQUIRED_USE at http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/eapi/#variables
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: