Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Boot into OSX installation .iso from a flash drive (GRUB?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AaylaSecura
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Boot into OSX installation .iso from a flash drive (GRUB?) Reply with quote

Firstly, I apologize if this topic is in the wrong section, since it is not strictly related to Gentoo, but has to do with GRUB, so I did not think it was appropriate for it to go in the Off the Wall forum.
I'm trying to install a patched OSX Snow Leopard supposedly designed for Intel and AMD computers. I have the iso file, which contains a whole lotta packages + [BOOT] directory having an .img file. I cannot boot it from my DVD drive cause I am unfortunate enough to have precisely ASUS P5B motherboard and an ATA DVD drive and for unknown reasons to me there is some kind of conflict between the IDE controller on that MB and the OSX (I'm not even sure if I stated the problem correctly). Bottom line, I can't boot into the .iso unless I get a SATA DVD reader. I was wondering if moving the iso file content to a flash drive and booting it using GRUB (installed on it) can help. I guess I could let BIOS boot it directly, but I'm not sure what software for Linux to use to make the flash drive bootable.
Also, I'm not sure if the fact that my HDD is also an ATA one poses a problem and whether I should dump any efforts installing mac os on it now.
Here is a list of the contents of the .iso file if anyone is interested: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30726682/lst . I used iso-info, but the [BOOT] directory (containing only .img file) was not listed for some reason.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot into OSX installation .iso from a flash drive (GRUB Reply with quote

AaylaSecura wrote:
Firstly, I apologize if this topic is in the wrong section, since it is not strictly related to Gentoo, but has to do with GRUB, so I did not think it was appropriate for it to go in the Off the Wall forum.

AaylaSecura ... the problem is that Apple's EULA forbids the use of OS X on "non-Apple-branded computers" (and have won various court cases in this regard) so this question is related to the use of "warez".

sorry to have to point that out ... khay
AaylaSecura
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot into OSX installation .iso from a flash drive (GRUB Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
AaylaSecura wrote:

AaylaSecura ... the problem is that Apple's EULA forbids the use of OS X on "non-Apple-branded computers" (and have won various court cases in this regard) so this question is related to the use of "warez".

sorry to have to point that out ... khay

You're right, I didn't think about it. I guess a moderator should delete the topic if they find it appropriate to do so.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot into OSX installation .iso from a flash drive (GRUB Reply with quote

AaylaSecura wrote:
You're right, I didn't think about it. I guess a moderator should delete the topic if they find it appropriate to do so.

AaylaSecura ... well, I'll go ahead and report to teh authrotayys ...

best ... khay

Thread locked by NeddySeagoon to prevent further discussions on a topic that may be in breach of EULA
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: