Suggestions for cross lang dev work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for cross lang dev work Reply with quote

What I need is something that works in KDE 4.10

Languages needed are
C/C++ and Python

Currently I'm looking at Kate and the various plug-ins as it may be enough - for kate what plug ins do I want to use - main effort to begin with is to learn the languages while flowcharting an app

Gives a basis to compare various modules/styles and such
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely kate. It's absolutely beautiful, especially with "Attach as Tab to.." in kde-4.9+ which makes sessions so much easier to manage. And it's very lightweight, as well as making a perfect IDE once you've set everything up how you like it.

Plugins: file-system viewer, documents, multi-line tab-bar (configure it for highlighting, rows, and document order), build plugin, snippets, ctags, gdb, symbol list. IIRC the first two are running by default. Not sure what you'd add for python, but all of those are relevant, apart from perhaps gdb, which will still be needed if you interface python with C or C++. They're all session-specific so you can configure them as you want (if you want them opened by default, you just start the default session, load the plugins, and then save the session without opening any files. In general though, be careful saving a session: be sure to Save As if you've opened the default. After that, sessions are saved automatically on shutdown, unless you tell it not to, so you don't tend to Save a session in normal usage.)

There's an immense amount of scripting you can do in kate, when you need something custom. But you're unlikely to. IIRC there's some more nice python stuff coming in 4.11. You can browse the sources online to see what's coming. Check out http://www.kate-editor.org/ to see about setting up git sources to work in tandem ("Get it"), and blogs to read up about development, when people get the time to write up what they're up to.

If scripting isn't enough, you can extend kate with plugins in C++. There's a good tutorial based on that here (look for: 'TCP Server Plugin in Kate'. There's no permalink afaik.) You will need to setup the git sources for that, though, which isn't hard.

Note that this is all relevant if you should later switch to kdevelop, since plugins are for the KTextEditor part. Personally I find kdevelop too much, but it's definitely the best for full-blown QT and KDE C++ (apart from kate;) so you might want to consider that too.

Good luck with it, anyhow.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Kate was going to be solid for my current needs and the only ones I didn't have checked were the snippets and the filesystem browser. On the tab bar, I'm using the project option instead since it provides a nice tree view of everything - almost makes the filesystem browser redundent.

Hadn't thought about using tabs in kate but the default sidebar view makes the tab views redundent unless you don't use them. I do as it gives me a tree view of commands and the files I've got open in the session.

I do take your comment about the save session as option to heart since I already have a default view that I don't want to screw up.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
I thought Kate was going to be solid for my current needs and the only ones I didn't have checked were the snippets and the filesystem browser. On the tab bar, I'm using the project option instead since it provides a nice tree view of everything - almost makes the filesystem browser redundent.

Do you mean the tree view mode in Documents?

That is nice, indeed. I just find that some of my sessions are mostly in one directory anyway, and for one session I have the document tab is even full.

The filesystem browser comes in handy when I want to check files around the same area as the current ones. Of course if you prefer just the standard open dialog and don't need it, there's no point loading it.
Quote:
Hadn't thought about using tabs in kate but the default sidebar view makes the tab views redundent unless you don't use them. I do as it gives me a tree view of commands and the files I've got open in the session.

I did the same for a while, and got rid of the tab bar in all my sessions. I just noticed it came in handy where I've got lots of files open.
It's not really tabbing in my usage: it's more a heads-up of the files I'm working on. That's why I mentioned the highlighting: usually there's one or two files that are critical and it's nice to colour them separately, since they stand out whereas they don't in the document view. Also, sorting by extension can be really handy as well. It complements the document tab, doesn't replace it.

I have the document tab on the right, always open, and the filesystem browser on the left along with symbol list and snippets, usually closed, with the multiline tab bar (2 rows, 75 pixel min) on top. As usual plugins like Build, GDB, terminal (when in use) and XML checker (which is handy for Kate Syntax highlighters; otherwise I avoid XML like the plague) appear on the bottom, and gdb output like stack and locals appears on the right when active. I find it great.

Of course, how you set up your workspace is a personal and subjective thing. Kate just makes it really easy, and provides all the plugins I need: the sum is definitely what I'd call an IDE. And amazingly customisable, as well as actively developed and improved.

Used to be, when doing PHP, just a KDE desktop with kwrite, and konqueror with fish (before dolphin), was the best IDE. For C et al that doesn't really work.

update - "a most excellent portage wrapper"

#friendly-coders -- We're still here for you™ ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: