View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rad_scorpion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: gnome 3 and antialiasing/hinting disaster Reply with quote

This week I made an effort to upgrade up to gnome 3.6.2. And everything's alrightish, apart from fonts, which are literally killing my eyes. As I happen to know, this is about antialiasing/hinting/lcdfilter/subpixel whatever. Unfortunately, my expectations of what fonts should look like were not too high to fulfil when it was Gnome 2, so I didn't play around with fontconfig and now have no idea what a 'normal' config for my machine should be.

The problem: everywhere where it reads text, it blinks, ranging from grayishly smooth to edged and full colour. First when text appears it is quite bright, then in a second it turns grey (not completely grey as in inactive, but as after some postprocessing). Say if I scroll down a page in firefox, first the font is clear, then it turns smooth. Or in a terminal, it's clear, then I right-click, a menu appears, the font in the terminal turns smooth. If I select a part of the text in terminal, this part turns clean again. Now in firefox if I right-click, the text turns smooth and again clean, which is ok-ish for now, but still unacceptable. In terminal it turns alternately on appearing of context menu.

Gnome3 seems to bring a whole set of font features, whose interaction with the fontconfig is obscure to me. First, it has two seemingly unrelated yet completely the same features: gnome-tweak-tool -> fonts -> antialiasing and hinting, gconf-editor -> /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/ -> hinting, antialiasing and rgba_order.So if I change something in the tweak tool, it doesn't affect the gconf thing, and it's very hard to tell which is in effect right now. Second, there is fontconfig. I'd like to disable everything in gnome3 so I can fool around with fontconfig alone (er... uhm..), but I'm not even sure if i can turn the gnome postprocessing off. So I'm confused: is it antialiasing, or is it hinting, is it gnome or fontconfig, and maybe it is about my lcd monitor (hard to believe though, it's the same).

Uninstalling gnome3 isn't a good idea, though if nothing helps... Please, if anyone could help, I'd be glad. Ask any information you need.
poncho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: gnome 3 and antialiasing/hinting disaster Reply with quote

rad_scorpion wrote:
First, it has two seemingly unrelated yet completely the same features: gnome-tweak-tool -> fonts -> antialiasing and hinting, gconf-editor -> /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/ -> hinting, antialiasing and rgba_order.So if I change something in the tweak tool, it doesn't affect the gconf thing, and it's very hard to tell which is in effect right now.

Gnome 3 uses dconf. The values for the font settings are in org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings. You should use dconf-editor instead of gconf-editor.
rad_scorpion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this was completely misleading to me. But still, I made xsettings -> active = disabled, but something's still on. At least it's something to play around with, thanks. Apologies for the late answer, holidays.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: