View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Mint Box Reply with quote

Does anyone product a product that is similar to the Mint Box http://www.linuxmint.com/store_mintbox.php but run Gentoo.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2055

Quote:

....Yes, you can install anything you want on it, other distros, Windows, BSD, dual-boots.. just like you do on any PC. You just need a USB stick. Also, the mintBox supports both EFI and BIOS.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean a box which can run Gentoo or a box which comes with Gentoo preinstalled? If the latter, then I doubt it.
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
Do you mean a box which can run Gentoo or a box which comes with Gentoo preinstalled? If the latter, then I doubt it.

I'm looking for two, one to run as my webserver and one that would be fully HD video capable device that network and attach to my media/tv centre. Possibly a third to replace my desktop as I don't use it much anymore.

My reason is that I've got to hooking huge workstation and a server that are under used and consume gross amount of electricity, I'd looking to reduce my energy consumption to something that does not make me wince.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancesWithWords,

I run a Raspberry Pi as a webserver.
It does hang off a larger system that provides all of its filesystems over NFS, so maybe thats cheating a bit.

A Pi can also run XBMC and provide 1080p video but I don't have that going yet in Gentoo.

So what about a couple Pis?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you require media playback capabilities and not so much storage, an option would be Zotac ZBOX or ZBOX Nano. They come in Intel or AMD variants, and support accelerated video decode with open source drivers (radeon needs patched kernel and mesa-9.2). Prices start around 200 USD without RAM and hard disk. They are also suitable for light desktop use.

In case storage is required, then a HP MicroServer might be good. You would however have to install a low-profile graphics card if you need HDMI out. You are looking at 30-40W power consumption depending on the number of hard disks that you install.

If that is still to high and you are looking at <10W devices:
An option would be one of the ARM based Android TV dongles like the MK802 II. You can easily replace Android with another Linux distro. Another low-power alternative could be a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex which can run a webserver and network shares but not much more.

The ARM based developer boards like Raspberry Pi, Cubieboard, Odroid, OLinuXino etc. are worth looking at if you want to tinker with home automation, connecting touch screens or similar.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Gentoo hardware would be self-built - like the OS it's going to run. And for the specs on that Mint Box Pro, half the price with an SSD...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: