ttyUSB missing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: ttyUSB missing Reply with quote

I'm trying to use my cell phone as a modem and ttyUSB device is not created. What kernel options have to be enabled to make ttyUSB available?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover ...

I believe that would be CONFIG_USB_SERIAL, and either one or other of the USB_SERIAL dirvers or CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC.

see ... Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt

HTH & best ... khay
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. That's what I thought. But no joy ...

http://bpaste.net/show/92802/

... then I discovered loading moto_modem and cdc-acm modules create ttyACM0 node ... which actually allows me to use my Motorola cell phone as a modem. :roll:

So I really should not be complaining, but then again, I would like to know what the heck I'm doing here?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
... then I discovered loading moto_modem and cdc-acm modules create ttyACM0 node ... which actually allows me to use my Motorola cell phone as a modem.

Jaglover .. ok, so USB_SERIAL_MOTOROLA ...

Jaglover wrote:
So I really should not be complaining, but then again, I would like to know what the heck I'm doing here?

Modems (modulator-demodulator) use a serial line with a command set for speaking to a device, normally things like 'AT+' so, similar to the method for dialing a number using an analogue phone. In the good old bad old days this was the method of getting a "dialup" line, normaly to a BBS, or perhaps ISP. The technology has moved on since then but the principles haven't, in your case your probably using ppp to have the phone act as a modem, and so modulate-demodulate a signal over GSM ... at least something like that ... I'm having a nostalgia trip .... phewww 2600 baud, slow down there!

Your using a tty because thats what the whole thing developed from, teleprinter, teletype, or tty, a text based interface to mainframe computers, often via telephone circuits. These tty's were used to input code that was then sent to a mainframe to process, the mainframe would then send back the output in the form of a printout. These tty's have now been replaced with the display, but at one time it was string of punched tape, still, all the terminology is still still with us, in the form of ttyACM0, etc.

Hopefully that makes things a little clearer ... best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: