Chess Thread
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nihil39
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Chess Thread Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd like to use this thread as a sort of hub for the gentoo chess community. I mean: problems with setting an engine, with some particular program, discussions about the state of current chess ebuilds etc. Let me know if this sounds right.

First question:

Can someone please update the ebuild for the new version of scid? After a long time 4.4 was finally released ( http://scid.sourceforge.net/ ). Thanks.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.d4

BTW, the most efficient for getting scid 4.4 is that you fill a bump request on gentoo's bugzilla.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=465820 ← I filed the version bump request yesterday, please vote it up if you want.

Is scid the best program for analysis on linux? Can someone give some basic advice (how to analyze, find the best move etc)?

To play on FICS I use eboard, but it seems that its development stopped in 2008 (version 1.1.1). There's a fork though, it is hosted here. We can try to make an ebuild for it maybe to be included in some overlay.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nihil39 wrote:
Is scid the best program for analysis on linux?

In the free world, my opinion is : critter rules!
nihil39 wrote:
Can someone give some basic advice (how to analyze, find the best move etc)?

I cannot understand your question. Do you mean you want algos for analyzing a chess position ? 8O Well... I'm afraid a Gentoo forum thread is not really the best place for this.
Do you mean algos for analyzing/ranking chess engines ? Then you can be interested in The Elo rating system

BTW,
aCOSwt wrote:
1.d4

You withdraw ?
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critter is an engine, scid is a program to analyze and manage databases of games which uses engines like critter.

I'm obviously not asking for algos here... :-)
My question was more like: do you have any advice on how to analyze chess games with scid or any other programs? What do you use to accomplish this task?

I wrote scid because it seems to be the best (free as in beer and as in freedom) choice on Linux as far as I know but I'm kind a newbie in this field. I'm trying to use scid with gnuchess engine.

For the game: do you have a fics handle? Mine is nihiltrenove, I think it's better to play there rather than this kind of electronic correspondence chess. :-) If you wish we can continue here, I'm kind of a beginner.
cgits
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Scid is a great piece of software. It was developed many years ago and it gives to its trained user (who has to read the user manual) the same features like commercial databases. It lacks the data, and one should find them elsewhere. My solution was to write a small script which downloads PGNs, concatenates them and converts to scid database format, from all the available TWIC issues from theweekinchess.com (1999 - today).

Currently, ChessX is also being developed and might become a very good program. It is based on Qt so it might have a more fancy GUI.

Note: the commercial program Hiarcs Chess Explorer seems to be using ChessX as its GUI.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stockfish and Polyglot are in the Portage tree since awhile now. I have been happy to see it. Fruit is an other chess engine in the Portage tree who ever win a chess computers tournament in the past.

Last edited by Logicien on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two year bump...but it seems like a decent place to put this.

I'm using knights (kde) and just a tip for beginners/casual players.

You can set the difficulty in the bottom right corner. Then you can choose a chess engine. I found for very easy, easy, and medium difficulty setting the sjeng engine (games-board/sjeng) is the easiest computer AI out of the common ones by far at the lower levels. GNUchess comparatively is the most difficult at all these lower levels.

Here's some info on the default engines in Knights that I have found for the very easy to medium difficulty levels:

Quote:

Chess AI strengths
-------------------

(easiest to hardest)

KNIGHTS
----------

Very Easy

1. sjeng
2. crafty
3. stockfish
4. gnuchess

Easy

1. sjeng
2. stockfish
3. crafty
4. GNUchess

Medium

1. sjeng (close with crafty)
2. Crafty (close with sjeng)
3. Stockfish (close with gnuchess)
4. GNUChess (close with stockfish)

Also at the moment under some conditions sjeng seems to have some problems when the human player does a pawn promotion to queen. It always locks up for me then at least under knights. It doesn't do this with the other engines. I haven't looked into the bug to isolate it yet but I thought I'd mention it as a warning.

Also see this stub Gentoo wiki page with some info.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Chess

Hope this helps someone. :)
hifromash1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya~ (forgive me for some good old ~~~bumping)

I'm new at Gentoo, but used to be an avid chessplayer. I haven't normally played for many, many years though. My current FIDE is 2129 I think. I was thinking about updating the Gentoo Chess wiki page a bit. Do you think people would be remotely interested in that?
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find a few interested in it.
Are there major changes to chess on linux?
TheDarkHorde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hiya~ (forgive me for some good old ~~~bumping)

I'm new at Gentoo, but used to be an avid chessplayer. I haven't normally played for many, many years though. My current FIDE is 2129 I think. I was thinking about updating the Gentoo Chess wiki page a bit. Do you think people would be remotely interested in that?

That's me, just changed names.
Well scid_vs_pc is the main program now although I think scid is still being developed. The wiki could be updated a bit.
To be honest, I don't think there's much chess on Linux...everything is being swallowed by Chessbase and we are the scattered remnants that are trying to survive.

Hopefully I'm wrong though.
Ordinateur91
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Two year bump...but it seems like a decent place to put this.

I'm using knights (kde) and just a tip for beginners/casual players.

You can set the difficulty in the bottom right corner. Then you can choose a chess engine. I found for very easy, easy, and medium difficulty setting the sjeng engine (games-board/sjeng) is the easiest computer AI out of the common ones by far at the lower levels. GNUchess comparatively is the most difficult at all these lower levels.

Here's some info on the default engines in Knights that I have found for the very easy to medium difficulty levels:

Quote:

Chess AI strengths
-------------------

(easiest to hardest)

KNIGHTS
----------

Very Easy

1. sjeng
2. crafty
3. stockfish
4. gnuchess

Easy

1. sjeng
2. stockfish
3. crafty
4. GNUchess

Medium

1. sjeng (close with crafty)
2. Crafty (close with sjeng)
3. Stockfish (close with gnuchess)
4. GNUChess (close with stockfish)

Also at the moment under some conditions sjeng seems to have some problems when the human player does a pawn promotion to queen. It always locks up for me then at least under knights. It doesn't do this with the other engines. I haven't looked into the bug to isolate it yet but I thought I'd mention it as a warning.

Also see this stub Gentoo wiki page with some info.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Chess

Hope this helps someone. :)

Thanks! Was looking for this info
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: