View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: sys-fs/udisks bloat Reply with quote

Idling reading emerge --update world output, I noticed a copy of cryptsetup, which was strange, as I don't use encrypted disks. Whence this unnecessary bloat? Turns out it was sys-fs/udisks. Which also went in for a copy of gptfdisk. Now why would I want that? If I want to partition a disk, I use cfdisk from root.

Digging about shows a couple of use flags, crypt and gptfdisk, both enabled by default. So I disabled them for udisks (I probably still want the global crypt USE flag), and did emerge --changed-use world, followed by emerge --depclean.

Nicely, that removed sys-fs/cryptsetup sys-apps/gptfdisk sys-fs/lvm2 and sys-block/thin-provisioning-tools. I'd not even noticed the unwanted lvm2. System still runs OK, and inserting a CD causes KDE/udisks to mount it for me, so it appears nothing breaks as a result.

Choice is nice, so thanks, Gentoo, but even nicer would be opt-in rather than opt-out for this sort of bloat.
(I presume as udisks is involved this is part of the plan for Gnome to take over the world.)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: sys-fs/udisks bloat Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:

(I presume as udisks is involved this is part of the plan for Gnome to take over the world.)

LOL
Ah well, no, as i think that too, it's not funny finally.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gnome free world :lol:
Code:
USE="-gnome -udisk -udisk2 -upower -consolekit -policykit -pulseaudio" emerge world

lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even then...
Code:
# ls /var/db/pkg/gnome-base
gconf-2.32.4  libglade-2.6.4  orbit-2.14.19-r2

:?
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost+found wrote:
Even then...
Code:
# ls /var/db/pkg/gnome-base
gconf-2.32.4  libglade-2.6.4  orbit-2.14.19-r2

:?

It depends on what ancillary packages get pulled in as to whether one has to emerge gconf/orbit.
I won't use any package that pulls them in.

I do have three "gnome" packages
Code:
gnome-base/libglade
gnome-base/librsvg
x11-libs/gnome-pty-helper

and I don't mind these as they are minor packages
though I do wish there were alternatives.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I won't use any package that pulls them in.

Unfortunately, this is getting harder more and more:
  • sdlmame and sdlmess upstream has become crazy again, the aternatives (xmame, xmess) are removed from gentoo or about being removed.
  • tvtime was removed from gentoo. The suggested alternative me-tv hard depends on gconf(mm), the other suggested alternative mythtv needs even a mysql database.
I am slowly really running out of ideas how to avoid BS poisoning my system.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
I am slowly really running out of ideas how to avoid BS poisoning my system.

For some of the packages, I've simply frozen them at a certain version
and pulled the ebuild into my local portage area.

Hopefully someone will step up to the plate and offer non-gnome based alternatives.

Good luck
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:

[*] tvtime was removed from gentoo. The suggested alternative me-tv hard depends on gconf(mm), the other suggested alternative mythtv needs even a mysql database.[/list] I am slowly really running out of ideas how to avoid BS poisoning my system.

I use vdr here. And for what I cannot do with vdr like radio listening trough PCM, I use mplayer (mostly in slave mode). I can even watch TV or DVB with mplayer, it work very well, but vdr is more convenient for that.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
I use vdr here.

I tried this only briefly, because the success was not overwhelming: First it pulls in media-fonts/corefonts (which in my experience is superfluous for any package), so I had to roll my own ebuild in the overlay, and then came
Quote:
% vdr
vdr: can't access video directory /var/vdr/video

which I solved by manually generating this directory and making it sticky world-writable (certainly not optimal but vdr:vdr permissions were not enough). This step ended with
Quote:
% vdr
vdr: no primary device found - using first device!

It seems it recognizes neither the tv card nor the tv input channel on my graphics card. When plugging in my dvb usb device, vdr just hangs after start. dmesg showed that permissions were missing to write to /var/cache/vdr, so I gave sticky world-writable permissions to everybody. Then this message stopped. Nevertheless, it hangs. Looks like neither the upstream program nor the ebuild was ever tested... how can be so many required directories be missing or have wrong permissions?
Quote:
I can even watch TV or DVB with mplayer, it work very well, but vdr is more convenient for that.

Yes, mplayer is the only which works for me (unfortunately not with my dvb device either). It would just be nice to have at least one alternative (or at least something which works with my dvb device).
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Yes, mplayer is the only which works for me (unfortunately not with my dvb device either). It would just be nice to have at least one alternative (or at least something which works with my dvb device).

mplayer does recognize only the first tuner of an adapter for the dvb device. In oder to make the 2 tuners available to mplayer, I have some custom udev rules which symlink a second adapter with reverse devices order:

Code:
KERNEL=="dvb0.demux1", SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{device}=="0x8802", SYMLINK+="dvb/adapter1/demux0"
KERNEL=="dvb0.dvr1", SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{device}=="0x8802", SYMLINK+="dvb/adapter1/dvr0"
KERNEL=="dvb0.frontend1", SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{device}=="0x8802", SYMLINK+="dvb/adapter1/frontend0"
KERNEL=="dvb0.net1", SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{device}=="0x8802", SYMLINK+="dvb/adapter1/net0"

This generate a warning but work. You also have to follow the linuxtv wiki in order to generate the channel list for each adaoter, or mplayer will not work.

For vdr, I know the setup is tricky. I didn't succeeded the first time...
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
mplayer does recognize only the first tuner of an adapter for the dvb device.

I doubt that this is my problem (see below).
Quote:
You also have to follow the linuxtv wiki in order to generate the channel list for each adaoter, or mplayer will not work.

dvbscan was able to produce some table which I copied to /etc/mplayer/channels.conf. However, mplayer dvb:// just shows
Code:
MPlayer 1.1-4.7.2 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team

Playing dvb://.
dvb_tune Freq: 506000
ERROR IN SETTING DMX_FILTER 8468 for fd 4: ERRNO: 22ERROR, COULDN'T SET CHANNEL  0: Failed to open dvb://.

Exiting... (End of file)

Simultaneously, dmesg gets a news:
Code:
dvb_demux_feed_del: feed not in list (type=0 state=0 pid=ffff)

My card (TerraTec Cinergy T Stick RC (Rev. 3)) is supported only in rather recent kernels, but while I hoped in the beginning that it is a driver bug which will soon be fixed with some kernel update it does not look like I was right...
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
mplayer dvb:// just shows...

I use 'mplayer dvb://@1' for the first card, 'mplayer dvb://@2' for the symlinked one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: