www-client/chromium-27.0.1425.0 & ffmepg
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: www-client/chromium-27.0.1425.0 & ffmepg Reply with quote

Code:
The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by www-client/chromium-27.0.1425.0
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)

=media-video/ffmpeg-1.0.5 opus

Why www-client/chromium needs opus flag?
I just made everything fine with libav and now i have to switch back to ffmpeg just because the "opus" flag :?
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The reason is that libav is incompatible with ffmpeg in some respects, and chromium decided to NOT go with libav. It bundles ffmpeg, but it seems gentoo devs decided to force system-ffmpeg, at least for now:
Code:

05 Mar 2013; Pawel Hajdan jr <phajdan.jr@gentoo.org>
  chromium-27.0.1425.0.ebuild, chromium-9999-r1.ebuild:
  Enable system ffmpeg by default.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzf wrote:
No. The reason is that libav is incompatible with ffmpeg in some respects, and chromium decided to NOT go with libav. It bundles ffmpeg, but it seems gentoo devs decided to force system-ffmpeg, at least for now:
Code:

05 Mar 2013; Pawel Hajdan jr <phajdan.jr@gentoo.org>
  chromium-27.0.1425.0.ebuild, chromium-9999-r1.ebuild:
  Enable system ffmpeg by default.

So it's becoming ffmpeg/libav mess. Thanx to chromium i need slotted install of both of them with ability to change in between them with eselect tool ? 8O
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO there is no possibility to dynamically change between libav and ffmpeg.
And it is not chromiums fault to NOT jump on libav - just ask libav-devs why they randomly break API, reinvent tools (e.g. libswresample vs libavresample) but still keep libname "ilbav". It was them splitting the community by trying to force their implementation.
Just search google for "libav vs ffmpeg", and you will find posts like this one.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.gentoo.org/lu_zero/2013/01/18/the-case-of-defaults-libav-vs-ffmpeg/#utm_source=feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feed

sigh...
Anyway, it's obvious that i'll have to switch back to ffmpeg if i want chromium on my system :wink:
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem here is neither chromium nor ffmpeg.

It's that libav wants to be the Internet Explorer of the media codec world; killing competition not by being technically better in any sense, but by being deliberately incompatible with existing code, lying through advertising (by claiming ffmpeg is dead), and playing politics to force people to switch to it.

The solution is to not use libav, not give it mindshare, and promote alternatives with an honest and true-FOSS development model.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally, I had no opinion in that war, maybe I was even slightly biased for libav. But seeing that first mplayer2 and then libav is making the same stupid mistakes as gnome and gparted - believing that removing core functionality and destroying the main intention of a program (in this case: deal with just any format) is some sort of progress - I have now the clear opinion that ffmpeg is meanwhile technically by far superior. Hearing all the remaining nonsense about unnecessarily breaking APIs and reinventing the wheel out of poor pride makes it clear that ffmpeg is also socially by far superior. Now reading that libav uses Debian to spread evil lies about libav - which reminds strongly about the situation of the lies about the technically far superior cdrtools by the cdrkit "developers" of Debian - my position is clear. The latter alone would have been enough, but the libav developers really did everything to convince me to ban their software from my machines. Just today I was fixing my mask file and I am now happily reemerging ffmpeg.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... like that one person wayland fork promoted big on phoronix, which then just seemed to be a psychotic one man show ?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
... like that one person wayland fork promoted big on phoronix, which then just seemed to be a psychotic one man show ?

I do not see any relation with the topic. Do you mean that libav or ffmpeg has only one contributor? By all hints I found in the net neither is the case: Both are actively developed by non-tiny groups.
chrisstankevitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: www-client/chromium-27.0.1425.0 & ffmepg Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
Why www-client/chromium needs opus flag?

I am also curious: why does chromium require the opus flag?

Chris
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WebRTC
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: