Installing softwares
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wisemonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Installing softwares Reply with quote

Hi
I've been using Ubuntu for past 4 years now I want to get better knowledge about configs and learn about more control.

In case of Ubuntu, if I want to install non-canonical managed software, all I had to do was add an apt-repository managed by someone else and get the software.

In Gentoo I want to install libreoffice 4.0 and Firefox 20.

I'm assuming I can install them through sources, however I'm guessing they won't be under emerge control as in I can't update / uninstall them through emerge / portage.

So I want to know:
1. Is there something similar to repository for Gentoo?
2. If I install packages with sources, can I manage them through emerge / portage (In case of FF and libreoffice probably I won't need emerge to manage update / uninstall but this is rather general question)?

I know this may seem pretty basic question, however just searching for "install libreoffice 4.0 Gentoo" doesn't really gather many helpful results.
I didn't read through complete portage documentation yet (I'm reading through it one piece at a time)

Thanks
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libreoffice 4.0.2.2 and Firefox 20.0 are in the tree, at least as of an hour or two ago.

That aside, for the future, you probably want to investigate 'layman' and portage overlays. That is probably the closest comparison to a 3rd party apt repo. Let us know if your research is successful and/or if you have other questions.
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Installing softwares Reply with quote

wisemonkey wrote:

I've been using Ubuntu for past 4 years now I want to get better knowledge about configs and learn about more control.

You will want to go through Gentoo Documentation, especially Gentoo Handbook parts 2 and 3.

Quote:

So I want to know:
1. Is there something similar to repository for Gentoo?
2. If I install packages with sources, can I manage them through emerge / portage (In case of FF and libreoffice probably I won't need emerge to manage update / uninstall but this is rather general question)?

I know this may seem pretty basic question, however just searching for "install libreoffice 4.0 Gentoo" doesn't really gather many helpful results.
I didn't read through complete portage documentation yet (I'm reading through it one piece at a time)

1. See kurly's answer.
  2. You will update/uninstall firefox and libreoffice through Portage. Unless you are talking of FF addons but since these are installed locally in your profile, they are managed through browser, as usual. And since Gentoo is a source-based distribution, you will compile both from sources. There are binary packages for ff and libreoffice as well, but the latter one may not be up to date (perhaps in one of the overlays there is 4.x version).
wisemonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks a lot :)

So I've been reading about emerge and few other utilities. Here are few things I've understood, please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm pretty sure I'll be at some point :roll: )

I can go through all packages in tree at: http://packages.gentoo.org/
there is neat little utility called `eix` that lists all available versions for particular package

Finally, I updated package.keywords with required package names/version. However instead of
Code:
=<category>/<package-version>

I'm adding
Code:
>=<category>/<package-version>
just to get unstable updates, Is that correct? Even if it works, is that correct way to do it?

If just adding >= instead of = works then I'll add it for Firefox, libreoffice and e17 related packages.

Furthermore I may need to read some more -- if I can go back and forth between stable and unstable packages. for e.g. now I installed FF 20.0 unstable, after few days there is FF 20.x stable package available and I don't want to use unstable anymore
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second entry in package.keywords is rather poor form, as is the file name itself. The file is being moved to package.accept_keywords. A correct entry should simply be <category>/<package>. This will accept all keyworded versions of the package. You would only use inequalities in the less than or equal to cases, like you have in your first code block.

If you want to use the unstable version of a package and let stable catch up, then just use equality per your fist entry, like your first code block.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wisemonkey, your understanding seems pretty much correct. Some things you may find interesting:

The new name for package.keywords is package.accept_keywords. It is safe to rename the file, but the old name will continue to be okay for the foreseeable future. Your choice, for now. When you add a line to that file though, you should put the architecture at the end of the line: you probably want either ~amd64 or ~x86. But yes it is okay to use >= instead of =.

The stabilization process is a little different than you seem to think. After a build is on the testing architecture (~amd64 or ~x86) for a while without any regressions, it may be 'stabilized'. This doesn't involve any changes to the software itself, just to the keywords in the ebuild. So to consider the testing branch to be necessarily "unstable" is perhaps a bit of a misunderstanding. It doesn't refer to software quality directly, but acts more to put a little buffer between bleeding edge development and users who require insulation from potentially rapid change. Also, no need to worry: accepting the unstable branch doesn't mean that your system would avoid a stable version if it happens to be the latest version. It just means that it will also consider testing/"unstable" versions too.

If you use the default color scheme in eix, you will see stable versions in green and testing/"unstable" versions in yellow.

EDIT: When I started writing my post, "The Doctor" had not yet replied. I like his advice in this case. For posterity's sake, I will leave my post unchanged above.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wisemonkey, et al ...

It should also be noted that when using ~arch packages are frequently bumped (package revisions incremented) for fixes, patches, etc, at least far more often than stable, this can mean rebuilds when using '<category>/<package>' in package.accept_keywords. Some packages are easily compiled, but monsters like firefox and libre-office take some time, and so you may end up having to build these a number of times for every 'stable' package release. You can state a package version in package.accept_keywords, but then you may miss fixes that are being worked through in ~arch ... so, if you care about the number and extent of compilations then there is some sense to sticking with the stable versions of these packages.

Also, a package like firefox or libre-office has numerious dependencies many of which may also need to be keyworded, and this can lead to all kinds of difficulties if your not familiar with portage and how to deal with blocks, dependencies, soname changes, revdep-rebuild, keywording, etc, etc. This is why some level of understanding is required to use ~arch, as you need to know how to deal with any issues that might arise, and why new users are generally advised (as per the handbook) to stick with stable.

So, get some knowledge under your belt first and gain some familiarity with how portage works, you'll be in a lot better position to deal with ~arch.

best ... khay
wisemonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Sorry I should have made few things clear:

by unstable I meant "beta" where there maybe hardly a bug but not yet tested enough.
Every line in my package.keywords (which is moved to package.accept_keywords) has ~amd64 (~arch) at the end.

I understand frequent updates may cause most of the time compiling packages, but I want to use functionality in libreoffice 4.0 which is not available previously (same formatting at MS office).

Yes I understood `eix` colour coding :)
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made me want to try libreoffice-4.0. I put
Code:
=app-office/libreoffice-4.0.2.2 ~amd64

in my package.keywords. If you need 4.0 functionality but don't want to compile each new minor version, you will want the same entry with '=' instead of '>=' at the beginning. Now I installed atom from testing branch, but next libreoffice update will be from 'stable' branch.
Since you emerged a fresh version of firefox and you might be thinking of chromium from 'testing' branch, be aware that compiling chromium takes lots of time as well as libreoffice and even 'stable' versions appear often enough to drop any thoughts of using 'testing' branch.
wisemonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leo.the_zoo wrote:
You made me want to try libreoffice-4.0. I put
Code:
=app-office/libreoffice-4.0.2.2 ~amd64

in my package.keywords. If you need 4.0 functionality but don't want to compile each new minor version, you will want the same entry with '=' instead of '>=' at the beginning. Now I installed atom from testing branch, but next libreoffice update will be from 'stable' branch.
Since you emerged a fresh version of firefox and you might be thinking of chromium from 'testing' branch, be aware that compiling chromium takes lots of time as well as libreoffice and even 'stable' versions appear often enough to drop any thoughts of using 'testing' branch.

I don't use chrome / chromium and even if I want to then I would just go with stable version, thanks for heads-up though.

List of packages that I would use testing builds are : Emacs (not too many new features introduced recently so stable is good). LibreOffice (solely to get my documents look exactly same for people using MS Office), Firefox / Mozilla (they always introduce something interesting every now and then so I keep them on bleeding edge :D), Terminology :twisted: (whole e17 tree for that matter).

yea I'm thinking of going to `=` instead of `>=` and then see what changed in each version. If anything look interesting then just update package.accept_keywords with that version. Otherwise once stable is out then move to stable.

Thanks all :)
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for what's currently available in portage, znurt.org is a good place to start.

Will
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using sources.gentoo.org, which shows the current CVS state.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: