View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bebsk3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Installation Cinnamon having installed Gnome 2 Reply with quote

Hello! Please? help me ! Just started to learn Gentoo, and want to install cinnamon. Faced with the problem:
blocks B ] gnome-extra/gnome-media[pulseaudio] ("gnome-extra/gnome-media[pulseaudio]" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.6.3-r1)
[blocks B ] <gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.32.0-r300 ("<gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.32.0-r300" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.6.3-r1)
[blocks B ] <gnome-extra/gnome-power-manager-3.1.3 ("<gnome-extra/gnome-power-manager-3.1.3" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.6.4)
[blocks B ] <gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0 ("<gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.6.2)
[blocks B ] <gnome-base/gdm-2.91.94 ("<gnome-base/gdm-2.91.94" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.6.3-r1)

Tried to copy this packages to /etv/portage/package.mask, but the same thing happens.
Tried to delete this blocking packages with emerge --depclean <...> but the same thing happens.
I will be very grateful for the help.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo!
The problem here is that you can't install gnome 2 and gnome 3 at the same time because they conflict. Basically, they need the same files for their own purposes so they can't be installed side-by-side.

I believe Cinnamon is actually gnome 3 with a new look, so you may want to remove gnome 2. That will remove the block. You also might want to install another wm like fluxbox so you aren't left at the command line when things break.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
bebsk3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor, thank you for responding. Tell me please what to prescribe to start cinnamon after installing in file ~/.xinitrc (for example - for gnome - echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc and startx). And whether you can use both as gnome and fluxbox?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: