udev again
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DieterK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: udev again Reply with quote

Hello,

after a long time without updates i have many problems with new packages:
Code:
irtual/udev:0

(virtual/udev-171::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(virtual/udev-197-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=virtual/udev-197-r1 required by (sys-apps/hwids-20130309-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (and 4 more with the same problem)

sys-fs/udev:0

(sys-fs/udev-171-r10::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    ~sys-fs/udev-171[gudev?,hwdb?,introspection?,keymap?,selinux?] required by (virtual/udev-171::gentoo, installed)

(sys-fs/udev-198-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-fs/udev-197-r8[gudev?,hwdb?,introspection?,keymap?,kmod?,selinux?,static-libs?] required by (virtual/udev-197-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

But why? Because of kde-4.1?

Thanks
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No because of udev handling changes, with addition to eudev, a new virtual was added, for me, you have udev but not the new virtual, and portage get a bit stuck as it see it need the virtual for your udev and want it, but also see it could upgrade udev, and the virtual it wish add isn't good for that version, and so pull the right virtual version for that udev too.
Ending in a WTF situation.

Try forcing the addition of the virtual, and portage should be able to handle the upgrade of udev and the virtual next. You can also mask udev update, so portage will only need to add the virtual.
Your choice so.
I suppose a emerge --nodeps virtual/udev-171 sys-fs/udev-171-r10 should fix it (added sys-fs/udev-171-r10 because of new use flags the ebuild introduce with the virtual). Take care to redo the emerge without the --nodeps to satisfy new dependencies then.
You should get back to a classic upgrade after that.

It may be easier to unmerge it and emerge the new version, but watchout for broken link revdep-rebuild may catch and try to restore old version.
And if you goes for the newest udev version, read (and i mean yeah, read it) the instructions provided to rebuild lib that depend on it as location as been moved.

And prior to kde, X use udev for evdev, so kde or not...
DieterK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I tried it with:
Code:
emerge --nodeps =virtual/udev-171 =sys-fs/udev-171-r10

But i only get this error:
Code:
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=virtual/udev-171" have been masked.                                                                                                                                                                                                       
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:                                                                                                                                                                                                 
- virtual/udev-171::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
# Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> (07 Mar 2013)                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
# Remove redudant version of udev now that 197-r8 will                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
# work down to Linux 2.6.32.60 on most arches.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
# Removal in 90 days.   

I still have udev 171 installed, i have this in my package.mask:
Code:
>=sys-fs/udev-181
>=sys-apps/kmod-6
>=sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-8
>=gnome-base/libgdu-3.0.2
>=sys-fs/udisks-1.0.4-r4
>=virtual/udev-197

Not sure how i can fix this on my system, i still have nightmares because of the udev-problem (separate /usr)

Thanks
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think portage could be more explicit.

Now, as you've made it before, you have to redo a choice.
Keep udev mask, and unmask the virtual. You will still need to remake a choice soon or later. And you better copy them in your local overlay if you wish keep them.
Or release the mask, and upgrade to newer udev. I'm not sure if any news (something that maybe should have been done) tell newer udev still handle /usr on separate partition, but ssuominen said it plenty times.

Your system, your choice.
DieterK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i still have fear of any udev updates, i don't want to have starting problems again :-(

I removed the mask of the virtual and still have problems with udev:
Code:
The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by sys-fs/udev-198-r5[kmod], required by virtual/udev-197-r1, required by sys-power/upower-0.9.20-r2, required by kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.1-r1[upower], required by kde-base/kdebase-startkde-4.10.1, required by kde-base/kdebase-meta-4.10.1, required by kde-base/kde-meta-4.10.1, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
# /etc/portage/package.mask/udev:
=sys-apps/kmod-12-r1
#required by kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.1-r1[udisks], required by kde-base/kdebase-startkde-4.10.1, required by kde-base/kdebase-meta-4.10.1, required by kde-base/kde-meta-4.10.1, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=sys-fs/udisks-2.1.0
#required by virtual/udev-197-r1, required by sys-power/upower-0.9.20-r2, required by kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.1-r1[upower], required by kde-base/kdebase-startkde-4.10.1, required by kde-base/kdebase-meta-4.10.1, required by kde-base/kde-meta-4.10.1, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=sys-fs/udev-198-r5
#required by sys-fs/udev-198-r5[openrc], required by virtual/udev-197-r1, required by sys-power/upower-0.9.20-r2, required by kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.1-r1[upower], required by kde-base/kdebase-startkde-4.10.1, required by kde-base/kdebase-meta-4.10.1, required by kde-base/kde-meta-4.10.1, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-25

I tried to upgrade virtual/udev but this happens:
Code:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    #] sys-apps/kmod-12-r1  USE="tools zlib -debug -doc -lzma -static-libs"                                                                                                                                                                                         
[ebuild     U #] sys-fs/udev-198-r5 [171-r10] USE="acl%* kmod%* openrc%* -doc% -static-libs%"                                                                                                                                                                                 
[ebuild     U  ] virtual/udev-197-r1 [171]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[ebuild  N    #] sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-25                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[ebuild     U ~] sys-apps/hwids-20130309-r1 [20130114]                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/module-init-tools ("sys-apps/module-init-tools" is blocking sys-apps/kmod-12-r1)                                                                                                                                                                     
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/kmod ("sys-apps/kmod" is blocking sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r2) 

The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by sys-fs/udev-198-r5[kmod], required by virtual/udev-197-r1, required by sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-25
=sys-apps/kmod-12-r1
#required by virtual/udev-197-r1, required by sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-25
=sys-fs/udev-198-r5
#required by sys-fs/udev-198-r5[openrc], required by virtual/udev-197-r1, required by sys-apps/hwids-20130309-r1[udev], required by sys-apps/pciutils-3.1.10, required by sys-apps/vbetool-1.1, required by sys-power/pm-utils-1.4.1-r2[-video_cards_intel], required by kde-base/powerdevil-4.9.5[pm-utils], required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-25

I'm not sure because of the masks....and not sure if there are any news about udev and seperate /usr and /var without initramfs. But now i have more than 600 packages to update and can't fix the udev problems :-(

Thanks
DieterK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but is there any update available about this? :-(
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DieterK wrote:
i still have nightmares because of the udev-problem (separate /usr)

I just wanted to point out udev has nothing to do with separate /usr as it's completely installed in / thesedays, so if 171 worked, then 197, 198, 199, 200, ... will work too.

From what I can see all of these problems posted in this thread so far are coming from bad (wrong) entries in /etc/portage. Remove everything udev, kmod, etc. related from there and let the system try to update itself. Then post output of eg. "emerge -pvDNut world" without the /etc/portage settings messing things up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: