OSS program can get only input or output at one time[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daytona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: OSS program can get only input or output at one time[SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi ALSA experts,

I've got a program (fldigi) which uses OSS. (well, or portaudio or pulseaudio, neither of which I'm interested is using)
I've used it for a long time capturing audio with no problems.
Now I want to output audio as well. Problem is, there is no output. When it tries, I get a whole bunch of "Sound error: Device or resource busy" from the program.

I found media-libs/alsa-oss, emerged that and ran
Code:
aoss fldigi

and got output. Problem is, now there is no input to the program. I ran fldigi by itself again, and sure enough I have input but no output. There are no errors reported from fldigi when running with the aoss wrapper.
I see nothing in the mixer, and the rest of the system works fine. (I'm pretty sure this is the only OSS program left) I'm running ALSA from the kernel, with everything configured as modules, including the OSS compatibility modules, which are loaded in /etc/conf.d/modules. Is there something I need to tweak in the mysterious alsa.conf perhaps?

Last edited by Daytona on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OSS emulation layer only supports one stream by design. You may be more interested in using Pulseaudio than having a broken application.
Daytona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would definitely explain it! Sucks for me, but an understandable choice considering the other ~99% of use-cases.
Guess it's time to evaluate my options.
Thanks for the response!
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If aoss doesn't do the trick, compile your kernel with CUSE support and use ossp. It's not in portage, but there's a bug report with ebuilds: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=288059

Or use portaudio. It's a library, not a sound server like pulseaudio, so it won't make a mess on your system. That's probably the best option.
Daytona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had seen your post before reconfiguring my whole system! That ossp looks like it might have done the trick. I went with Pulseaudio, though, because particularly for this application I see potential advantages to having network-able sound. I'll have to live with it for a while to decide if I really like it or not, it's definitely a change from plain ALSA.
If I decide it's not worth it, then either portaudio or ossp will be the way to go. I even considered OSSv4, but between the development model (is it commercial, isn't it, why would anyone bother with a commercial venture for OSS?), and
Quote:
Currently unimplemented or incomplete features
power management features like support for suspend/resume
jacksense may not work (especially the hdaudio cards found on many laptops have such problems)
that idea quickly ended. On this machine, my laptop that goes everywhere with me, I don't have time for such issues.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: