Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kopancek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:

OH OK! Now I understand! This is mentioned in the postinst message of udev, all you need to do is re-emerge consolekit, no symlink required.

Re-emerge every package that has a file in /usr/lib/udev/ and it should move to /lib/udev/

This is the message:

Quote:

"Please re-emerge all packages on your system which install"
"rules and helpers in /usr/lib/udev. They should now be in"
"/lib/udev."

"One way to do this is to run the following command:"
"emerge -av1 \$(qfile -q -S -C /usr/lib/udev)"
"Note that qfile can be found in app-portage/portage-utils"

Thanks, this was the real remedy, I somehow missed the message... Everything from /usr/lib/udev/rules.d is after re-emerge in /lib64/udev/rules.d
OYTIS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't solve the problem for me, unfortunately.
Fenril
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Nothing helped me. I'm begining to be really tired with udev, it's not the first time...
OYTIS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe it's not exactly udev.
When I remove /etc/asound.conf or just set the default soundcard to something other than my real soundcard mplayer works well. That still is not a solution for me, because I want sound not only in mplayer but also in firefox.

My current /proc/asound/cards

Code:
 0 [VirMIDI        ]: VirMIDI - VirMIDI
                      Virtual MIDI Card 1
 1 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                      HD-Audio Generic at 0x90244000 irq 45
 2 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0x90240000 irq 16
29 [ThinkPadEC     ]: ThinkPad EC - ThinkPad Console Audio Control
                      ThinkPad Console Audio Control at EC reg 0x30, fw unknown

And my /etc/asound.conf

Code:
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 2
}
ctl.!default {
    type hw           
    card 2
}

Any ideas?
OYTIS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my sound card was held by timidity which launched at startup. For some reason it can't be used by more than one process anymore.
OYTIS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my alsa wasn't configured properly (dmix was actually disabled), and timidity daemon, which was launched at startup disallowed all other processes from using sound card. I don't know why this problem emerged after udev update. My problem seems solved now, waiting for Fenril's report.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Featherfoot wrote:
I have the same problem.

Which problem is that? I've noticed 3 different issues in this forums thread so far. If you are looking for help, you should provide way more information than just "same problem"
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no audio and I am hoping to follow the topic to see if anybody can come up with something enlightening.

I just recovered from a video problem that I thought was udev related (not sure now if it actually was...) Now I have no audio, and my TV tuner won't work because the devices are missing from /dev .These all sound like they're udev related. I'm surprised that we don't get any warning about things that massively change our world and then get eselect news notices on stuff that's irrelevant.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Featherfoot wrote:
I have no audio and I am hoping to follow the topic to see if anybody can come up with something enlightening.

I just recovered from a video problem that I thought was udev related (not sure now if it actually was...) Now I have no audio, and my TV tuner won't work because the devices are missing from /dev .These all sound like they're udev related. I'm surprised that we don't get any warning about things that massively change our world and then get eselect news notices on stuff that's irrelevant.

There hasn't been any changes related to audio/video with the udev upgrade that would cause user visible issues.

In fact, the sound issues mentioned so far have been almost completely unrelated, except for the fact everything installed to /usr/lib/udev needed a re-emerge to move files over to /lib/udev, but stable users never had this problem, only ~arch users, and news items are targeted for stable users. Thus, postinst message was enough for this.

So in other words, you need to provide way more information than just 'it doesn't work, looks like udev related' to get help at forums.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I challlenge you to be an arch user on gentoo. You can't do it over time...

Tvtime, which I used needs /dev/sound and /dev/video0. Those are missing now but they were there a month ago.. (I'm aware that it is in the throes of going unmaintained, but it is the best one out there, IMHO).

Sound as anyone who's used gentoo for a long time will know, is held together with bailing wire and chewing gum, especially when you have more than 1 device.

So who would be surprised that something that changed the device layouts would cause massive disruptions.

Nevertheless, we soldier on, and most of the time it's fun. I do appreciate being able to use the forums to help find out what's wrong with my system. I cherish the people who answer questions, no matter what I say when I'm frustrated. Thank you, guys.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Featherfoot wrote:
I challlenge you to be an arch user on gentoo. You can't do it over time...

Tvtime, which I used needs /dev/sound and /dev/video0. Those are missing now but they were there a month ago.. (I'm aware that it is in the throes of going unmaintained, but it is the best one out there, IMHO).

Sound as anyone who's used gentoo for a long time will know, is held together with bailing wire and chewing gum, especially when you have more than 1 device.

So who would be surprised that something that changed the device layouts would cause massive disruptions.

Nevertheless, we soldier on, and most of the time it's fun. I do appreciate being able to use the forums to help find out what's wrong with my system. I cherish the people who answer questions, no matter what I say when I'm frustrated. Thank you, guys.

You mean media-tv/tvtime? Looks like the maintainer of it decided it's too broken to be kept in Portage and it's now about to be removed according to package.mask:

Code:

# Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> (22 Mar 2013)
# Fails with automake-1.12 (#424289)
# Problems with the alsa patches (#403389)
# Herd has not interest in it and needs a maintainer
# Removal in a month unless a new maintainer steps up
# and fix all the bugs
# Alternatives: media-tv/me-tv, media-tv/mythtv
media-tv/tvtime

So, true, I don't care about tvtime or how much it breaks. I'm of course sorry if you haven't found maintained alternative for it. Or have you?
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried me-tv, but I don't think it is a complete TV package. I couldn't do any settings for the TV tuner, that I could see, at least.

I've had mythtv running in the past and just tried installing it, but the setup is massive and it's way beyond what I want to do with TV on my PC, which is watch when my wife is using the big TV in the living room.

Neither of them popped up with a picture, of course, and the sound didn't work either.

I've thought about grabbing the tvtime source and seeing if I can fix the video and audio to be more tolerant than they are now.

In the end, I'll probably boot into Windows 7.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Featherfoot wrote:
I just tried me-tv, but I don't think it is a complete TV package. I couldn't do any settings for the TV tuner, that I could see, at least.

I've had mythtv running in the past and just tried installing it, but the setup is massive and it's way beyond what I want to do with TV on my PC, which is watch when my wife is using the big TV in the living room.

Neither of them popped up with a picture, of course, and the sound didn't work either.

I've thought about grabbing the tvtime source and seeing if I can fix the video and audio to be more tolerant than they are now.

In the end, I'll probably boot into Windows 7.

There is nothing I or any other udev maintainer can do about single media-tv package which isn't used by any of us, and is even abandoned by the maintainer.
However we are always looking for new contributors, maintainers and developers -- so if you end up fixing the package, let us know through the bugzilla. That's how open source works, afterall.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There is nothing I or any other udev maintainer can do about single media-tv package which isn't used by any of us, and is even abandoned by the maintainer.
However we are always looking for new contributors, maintainers and developers -- so if you end up fixing the package, let us know through the bugzilla. That's how open source works, afterall.

I understand that, but it is a significant commitment to carry a project like that through to a working product. You have to understand a lot about things like alsa, udev, and X that you have previously dealt with in "command mode." Not a pleasant thought.
Fenril
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just to say since i have updated my kernel to 3.7.10 i retrieve sound on both my soundcard without touching anything in my configuration. So i still don't know if it was from udev or from Alsa, maybe udev incompatibilities with Alsa drivers from < 3.7 kernel version.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: