Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is this the way portage is supposed to behave?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Is this the way portage is supposed to behave? Reply with quote

I believe this has changed with recent updates to portage.

Suppose I have app/foo installed.

Now suppose that the gentoo developers in their infinite wisdom have added newdep as a new dependency to app/foo (without changing the revision number of the ebuild).

Now for example, emerge -Dpu world will want to install newdep (no problem so far).

I however, do not want newdep installed, and I know that foo runs perfectly fine without it, so I add app/foo to my local overlay (without the newdep dependency).

Strangely (to me), and different from my recollections in the past, emerge -Dpu world STILL wants to install newdep.

Just to make sure this wasn't a problem with the cache, I blew away /var/cache/edb/dep/ and tried again (with the same result).

So emerge -Dpu world is NOT considering the overlay.

However, emerge -p foo will pick up app/foo from the local repository (as I want and would expect).

At this point, I also tried emerge -ep world, and the list of packages to be installed did NOT include newdep.

So I did emerge -1 foo, and then tried emerge -Dpu world again.

This time (finally), portage decided that it doesn't really need newdep after all (apparently since app/foo was now installed from the overlay).

The whole thing feels wrong to me. I believe that portage should either consider the dependencies in the ebuild at the time it was installed OR the dependencies in the ebuild that would be re-installed. The current situation also leads to emerge -e world coming up with different packages than emerge -Du world, which also doesn't seem correct.

Any thoughts?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon,

Please post a bug at bugs.gentoo.org

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
khayyam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon ...

I'm not sure whats happening in this regard, but I'm quite sure that under similar curcumstances I've not seen this occur. Generally, if I remove the requirement of xdg-utils from an ebuild and move it to PORTDIR_OVERLAY then the dependency is removed, and I've never seen --deep then require anything other than the deps of the package from the overlay. I can say this with some certaintly because I practically always use '--update --deep --newuse'. Perhaps this is something specific to recent portage releases, as I've probably not done this for some months, but I don't think its the usual behavior.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: