Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo without Perl/Python -> only C and bash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Gentoo without Perl/Python -> only C and bash Reply with quote

hi,

I hope you don't report me as a spammer because it's the third time I'm asking something about my yeeloong installation, but I don't know what to do!! Since my setup is for education only (mips-assembler programming and to gain a better gentoo/linux understanding) I want to have as less packages as possible. Because I didn't managed to install gentoo with the experimental stage4-tarball I've installed it with the desktop-version (xfce) and now I'm on a package-removing crusade :)

So far I've removed all X11, gnome, xfce files/libraries and now I don't know if it's save to remove all perl files (virtual/perl-*, perl-core). I know that gentoo is extremly python focused so its probably a stupid question, but is it possible to remove all python files and to use palidus as a package-manager?

if not, is it at least save to remove all perl-files?
_________________
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dingely
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo without Perl/Python -> only C and bash Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
hi,

I hope you don't report me as a spammer because it's the third time I'm asking something about my yeeloong installation, but I don't know what to do!! Since my setup is for education only (mips-assembler programming and to gain a better gentoo/linux understanding) I want to have as less packages as possible. Because I didn't managed to install gentoo with the experimental stage4-tarball I've installed it with the desktop-version (xfce) and now I'm on a package-removing crusade :)

So far I've removed all X11, gnome, xfce files/libraries and now I don't know if it's save to remove all perl files (virtual/perl-*, perl-core). I know that gentoo is extremly python focused so its probably a stupid question, but is it possible to remove all python files and to use palidus as a package-manager?

if not, is it at least save to remove all perl-files?


I believe 'emerge' is written in and needs python.

You may have to convert all all python to "C".
_________________
Dingely Dong
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 14 Oct 2006
Posts: 5270

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll: automake uses perl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simon_irl
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 403
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LoTek.

Perl is a pretty basic, standard requirement even for very minimal GNU/Linux setups; and Python is pretty standard too, for any reasonably functional desktop. If you type
Code:
emerge -pe system
you'll get a list of Gentoo's "system" packages: you probably don't want to be removing the packages in that list unless you want to deliberately break your Gentoo in order to learn how to fix it.

Anyway, Gentoo makes heavy use of Python so if you want to play with a Python-less system, maybe build a LFS box instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Doctor
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 1265

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may want to clean (aka delete) your world file, run depclean, and then re-install any desired packages. This would basically revert to a stage3 install then work back up to an install you actually want to use. That said, its not going to get rid of perl or python as those are required (see above).

Disclamer: I have not tried doing this. I don't honestly know how if it would work.

Use mv /var/lib/portage/world /home/<your user> to move the world file to your home directory. Clean, then install logger + cron + whatever else you want. You can use emerge --noreplace <foo> to stop depclean from removing pieces of your system.
_________________
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I believe 'emerge' is written in and needs python.

You may have to convert all all python to "C".

yes but I could use paludis.

Quote:
Perl is a pretty basic, standard requirement even for very minimal GNU/Linux setups; and Python is pretty standard too, for any reasonably functional desktop.

I know, but a system without an X-server and no graphical-webbrowser etc isn't a desktop anymore, isn't it?

Quote:
If you type
emerge -pe system
you'll get a list of Gentoo's "system" packages: you probably don't want to be removing the packages in that list unless you want to deliberately break your Gentoo in order to learn how to fix it.

thanks, on my amd64 machine this list is not that super big, but has a lot perl/python packages. btw I removed all those packages and of course my system was dead, I couldn't even type in a command :)

Quote:
Anyway, Gentoo makes heavy use of Python so if you want to play with a Python-less system, maybe build a LFS box instead.

it's just that I thought Gentoo is something like LFS with a package manager and if I'm not able to build such a system I won't be able to build a LFS box. I've downloaded the LFS-book, but it seems they focus on x86, x86_64 machines, so it would be even harder to build a mips-lfs-box.

I've installed parabola linux (a fork from arch with a linux-libre kernel) on my yeeloong and it works without problems, but I have to use systemd (which I pretty like at least at the moment :oops: ) and it's even worse with the number of packages then gentoo.

Quote:

It sounds like you may want to clean (aka delete) your world file, run depclean, and then re-install any desired packages. This would basically revert to a stage3 install then work back up to an install you actually want to use. That said, its not going to get rid of perl or python as those are required (see above).

yes, but I would want to go to a stage1 tarball.

Quote:
Use mv /var/lib/portage/world /home/<your user> to move the world file to your home directory. Clean, then install logger + cron + whatever else you want. You can use emerge --noreplace <foo> to stop depclean from removing pieces of your system.

I will try this idea as soon as I have time.
_________________
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wcg
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jan 2009
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use git? Git pulls in several perl packages.

You can get by without a gui desktop. When I first installed Gentoo,
I used a desktop profile, but I did not install X, a window manager,
etc. I used it for about 6 months this way while still using an
installed Slackware desktop with kernel 2.4.x on another box
when I needed gui access to the www, to read .pdf and .ps
files, to run gimp or imagemagick, etc. Gentoo will run in
exclusively text mode just fine. (I did have python and perl
installed, python for portage and perl for all of the build scripts,
etc, that use it.)

Code:

USE=-X

gets you a long way there right off the top. Check /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
for stuff to disable in the global USE= flags in /etc/portage/make.profile.
_________________
TIA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum