[SOLVED]revdep-rebuild leads to ... computer shutdown
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]revdep-rebuild leads to ... computer shutdown Reply with quote

I didn't update my system since a few months and I did it these days.(recompiled my kernel with the option to add for udev, changing profile etc...)
Current step : revdep-rebuild
Everytime I launch it, it leads to computer shutdown (3d time it happens).I've tried lettin my computer like 24 Hours turned on without doing any revdep-rebuild and no problem...Then I tried again just a few minutes ago and again, computer shutdown...

This is the end of my emerge log file :

Quote:
1363266760: Started emerge on: Mar 14, 2013 14:12:40
1363266760: *** emerge --oneshot --complete-graph games-strategy/wesnoth:0 mail-client/thunderbird:0 www-client/firefox:0 x11-libs/libfm:0
1363266821: >>> emerge (1 of 4) www-client/firefox-17.0.3 to /
1363266821: === (1 of 4) Cleaning (www-client/firefox-17.0.3::/usr/portage/www-client/firefox/firefox-17.0.3.ebuild)
1363266832: === (1 of 4) Compiling/Merging (www-client/firefox-17.0.3::/usr/portage/www-client/firefox/firefox-17.0.3.ebuild)

I had noticed it happend everytime during firefox compilation, so I also tried masking this version and also turning my make.conf option MAKEOPTS="-j3" instead of -j4 (in case CPU was working too hard or something like that...) but it doesn't change anything.

Any idea of what it can come from or what log I can check to get more info ? Any one experienced the same problem ? (I hope my CPU is not dying...)

Last edited by alex6 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly sounds like the heavy compile of a big package like firefox is overheating the cpu and the bios is shutting it down.

Is it a laptop or desktop? have you cleaned the heatsink? If a laptop, try using a laptop cooler or at least propping it up on a couple books at the edge so the bottom has air flow.

Try going to -j1
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You describe the symptoms of an overheating emergency shutdown.

Look at your dmesg, you should see complains about temp there.
And your running 24 hours but doing nothing really hard test is just not good. Do any hard work for your cpu, that's what revdep-rebuild is doing with gcc.

Nothing to do with a dying cpu, but with a too much dust on it or dying cpu heatsink.

edit: damn it, agree with dol-sen :)
alex6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, here is my dmesg, do you see something related to it ?

http://bpaste.net/show/83759/

dmesg is related to the boot or I'm wrong ?
Can there be another log with something related to that error leading to shutdown ?

Oh, it seems my make.conf changed with gentoo profile update or something in the update.
Please tell me if you see something wrong in my make.conf

http://bpaste.net/show/83762/
alex6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
It certainly sounds like the heavy compile of a big package like firefox is overheating the cpu and the bios is shutting it down.

Is it a laptop or desktop? have you cleaned the heatsink? If a laptop, try using a laptop cooler or at least propping it up on a couple books at the edge so the bottom has air flow.

Try going to -j1

Went to "-j1", now no computer shutdown, but really slow compilation :D
And the strange thing now that during a compilation phase (with process "ld"), my memory is going full and my swap near full (=> big and long lag, can't even change desktop or do anything)...I thought using -j1 instead of -j4 was using less ressources to compile.
This happened during firefox and thunderbrd compilation, would it come only from the fact they are really big things to compile ?

I also realized there was...too much dust in my computer :D
Cleaning it seemed to change something.

I'll try going -j4 again and recompile thunderbird + firefox, and if my computer doesn't shutdown I'll put this topic as solved.
lexflex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex6 wrote:

I also realized there was...too much dust in my computer :D
Cleaning it seemed to change something.

I'll try going -j4 again and recompile thunderbird + firefox, and if my computer doesn't shutdown I'll put this topic as solved.

Yes, they are big programs and heavy to compile as far as i understand ( firefox is provided as 'precompiled bin' also.)

You can consider using a lower clockfrequency and/or monitoring system temperature using 'sensors' while compiling, and slowing down the cpu freq when temperatur get as higher ( you might want to use some scipt for this).

But cleaning the dust can do miracles too :-)

Alex.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex6 wrote:

dmesg is related to the boot or I'm wrong ?
Can there be another log with something related to that error leading to shutdown ?

Yes, but not only for boot, critical errors will get there too, you can check your /var/log for files there, it depend on what logger you use for the names.
And your dmesg is reset/clean on next boot. So you can read tail of the dmesg for incoming trouble message while compiling.
Or wait for shutdown, reboot with livecd to keep your dmesg, and read it with last messages received just before the shutdown.
alex6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, problem is solved : had to clean the heatsink and put some thermal paste, I recompiled a lot of things with -j4 option in make.conf and no problem.
Thanks for your replies
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: