Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
libreoffice-bin - where did pdfimport go?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: libreoffice-bin - where did pdfimport go? Reply with quote

So, it appears that pdfimport was dropped from the libreoffice-bin ebuilds at some point (and it's no longer in LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS so I guess it's not in the source ebuild either). I can't find much clue of when or why this happened; libreoffice-bin-3.4.3.2-r1 ebuild is the first not to mention the extensions explicitly, but others are still there in the current installed version so it seems pdfimport was singled out (though maybe others too). Why?

I do recall that it kept triggering revdep-rebuild (needed a different poppler version or sth), but this issue went away at some point so I'd assumed it was dealt with. Was it dealt with simply by throwing it out? (Alexander the Great would be proud!)

Most importantly: is there any way of replacing it? I kinda need it for an upcoming bit of work and, not realising pdfimport had disappeared, that deadline is now too close for comfort :(
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

equery u libreoffice
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[ : I - package is installed with flag ]
[ Colors : set, unset ]
* Found these USE flags for app-office/libreoffice-3.6.4.3:
U I
- - binfilter : Enable support for legacy StarOffice 5.x and earlier file formats
- - binfilterdebug : Generate debug info for binfilter code (not recommended, huge files result)
+ + branding : Enable Gentoo specific branding
+ + cups : Add support for CUPS (Common Unix Printing System)
+ + dbus : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)
- - eds : Enables support for Evolution-Data-Server (EDS)
+ + gnome : Adds GNOME support
- - gstreamer : Adds support for media-libs/gstreamer (Streaming media)
+ + gtk : Adds support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)
+ + java : Adds support for Java
- - jemalloc : Use dev-libs/jemalloc for allocations
- - kde : Adds support for KDE (K Desktop Environment)
- - libreoffice_extensions_nlpsolver : LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS option to build non-linear solver for calc
- - libreoffice_extensions_pdfimport : LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS option to build pdf files importer
+ + libreoffice_extensions_presenter-console : LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS option to build presentation console
+ + libreoffice_extensions_presenter-minimizer : LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS option to build presentation minimizer
- - libreoffice_extensions_scripting-beanshell : LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS option to build beanshell scripts parser
- - libreoffice_extensions_scripting-javascript : LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS option to build javascript scripts parser
- - libreoffice_extensions_wiki-publisher : LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS option to build mediawiki integration
- - mysql : Adds mySQL Database support
- - odk : Build the Office Development Kit
- - opengl : Adds support for OpenGL (3D graphics)
- - postgres : Adds support for the postgresql database
- - test : Workaround to pull in packages needed to run with FEATURES=test. Portage-2.1.2 handles this internally, so don't set it in make.conf/package.use anymore
+ + vba : Enable support for VBA compatibility and ActiveX embedding
+ + webdav : Adds support for HTTP content adding via net-libs/neon

Still there.

A bit up ahead in the ChangeLog for >4.0:
Code:

12 Jan 2013; Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org> libreoffice-4.0.0.1.ebuild,
  libreoffice-4.0.9999.ebuild, libreoffice-9999-r2.ebuild:
  As pdfimport was turned to internal code it was decided to have it non
  optional :/ Fixes bug#451508.

Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Navar, thanks for clarifying that, I just saw the LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS that are on by default when I don't set any myself (not used for the -bin) and thought this was all there currently were.

It's definitely not in the 3.6.4.3 -bin version though (two re-emerges later to check), and the machine I've got for actually working on is only a netbook so there's no hope of building from source there.

I've been round the dev mailing list, bugzilla, changelogs, viewvc and even scarabeus's blog, but I can't see one mention of the removal from -bin. You'd think this would have been worth an einfo on the ebuild at least?

The only solution I can see right now is my WinXP install (unloved and neglected, but kept around for emergencies like this).
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be worth looking at

http://gpo.zugaina.org/app-text/pdf2oo ?

There are also many alternative pdf manipulation tools available, though they obviously depend on your use case.

As an aside, libreoffice appears to compile a lot quicker now(admittedly it is not even close to quick :) )
It took approx 5 hours on a Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz with 3GB ram
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baaann wrote:
May be worth looking at

http://gpo.zugaina.org/app-text/pdf2oo ?

There are also many alternative pdf manipulation tools available, though they obviously depend on your use case.

Thanks for that, good shout! (Casual browsers should note that this is in portage now, in case the gpo link causes you to think otherwise!)

My use-case actually has little to do with LO/OOo itself, it's just used as a conversion tool for getting vector graphics out of a PDF and into Macromedia FreeHand (alright, stop laughing at the back, it's still a good app!). FreeHand does import PDF natively, but obviously PDFs have moved on a bit since 2002(!) so sometimes a helper is needed.

I'm happy enough to browse around for alt solutions like this when I have the luxury of time, but such is not the case right now. Just a tad miffed at finding the rug pulled without warning.

baaann wrote:
As an aside, libreoffice appears to compile a lot quicker now(admittedly it is not even close to quick :) )
It took approx 5 hours on a Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz with 3GB ram

I don't even wanna think about how that equates to a 1.5GHz 1st-gen Atom with 1GB RAM :( and with such a probably finicky build, I doubt ccache or distcc would be advisable...
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin_it wrote:
(Casual browsers should note that this is in portage now, in case the gpo link causes you to think otherwise!)

Good point, however the "gentoo" overlay actually refers to the portage tree so you can see whether a package is directly available. I find the zugaina site quite useful to keep abreast of available packages, especially via a regular quick browse of the "Newest" page.

Havin_it wrote:

I don't even wanna think about how that equates to a 1.5GHz 1st-gen Atom with 1GB RAM :( and with such a probably finicky build, I doubt ccache or distcc would be advisable...

AFAIK they have completely rebuilt the build system, but yes probably best avoided :)
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin_it, have you had any luck with pdf2oo? LO complains the generated file is corrupt, although it seems to load ok.

Also, it creates an odp file, and obviously, I haven't the slightest clue how to edit such a file. I cannot seem to get Impress to add text where I want it, it only ever shows up in the middle of the page.
dilfridge
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We disable pdfimport in libreoffice-bin because it would make the binaries far too sensitive to poppler upgrades.... The binaries would be broken quickly.

If you really need it, I suggest you turn off the heating and emerge the regular libreoffice ebuild with suitable use flag settings.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Princess Nell: sorry, never tried it; in the end I found another source for the resources I needed to extract from the PDF. I imagine I'd be all-at-sea if it left me with an .odp file too :(

@dilfridge: sad to hear that. It seems wrong to me that a library should so powerfully influence actual applications that use it, but I'm sure those of you at the sharp end have a better grasp of the situation than I. Out of interest, are a lot of packages picky about what exact version of poppler they use? Is there maybe an argument for slotting it? Or, probably an even less welcome idea, bundling its own static poppler lib?

I'm pretty sure the build would make my netbook actually catch fire - little too much heat for me ;)
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I figured it out after a while. Turned filling in a simple 2-page form into a 2-hour exercise :roll:

I suppose I can live with pdf import not being in the binary builds, I don't need it very often.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll:
It's not so much about packages being picky (a few are, but that's not really the case here), it's just that while libpoppler-glib and libpoppler-qt4 are more or less ABI stable, libpoppler gets an ABI bump on every release by upstream choice. This just can't be dealt sanely with for a binary package.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: