udev/filesystems fail on boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: udev/filesystems fail on boot Reply with quote

Hey there!

Just got a new PC for home use and I am planning to run a Gentoo system on it. This is because my previous experience with Gentoo was very good, in fact, the best compared with other distributions. I have three different disks: a 120 GB SSD drive with a Windows 7 installation, a 500 GB HDD for the Gentoo system and an external 1TB USB3.0 HDD used to store the data. This way, any of the OS may fail but the data will be always preserved. Furthermore, this layout avoids mixing different filesystems or partitioning schemes in the same disk (like GPT/UEFI with legacy GRUB, for instance, which are clearly incompatible).

First of all, I was not able to boot the Gentoo minimal installation CD. The computer freezes in "Waiting for uevents to be processed ..." In this situation, Ctrl+Alt+Del or the chassis reset button didn't even work (I need to hold the power on button for a few seconds to halt the computer). I happened to successfully run some distributions like Knoppix or Fedora from live CDs for a couple of times. The other times the system freezes at some point in the boot process. There are other distros, like Debian or Wifislax, that I can boot 100% of times without a problem. I have passed the Memtest86 and the memory test from Windows 7 reporting both no error. It seems rather a software problem.

All in all, I installed the Gentoo base system from the Wifislax live CD. When booting with the new Gentoo system the computer gets stuck at "Waiting for uevents to be processed ..." and finally freezes in "Checking local filesystems ..."

I have baselayout-2 and the last stable version of udev emerged. I think that I have the correct kernel settings. Because my system have multiple disks I identify them in /etc/fstab with their UUID rather than /dev/sd**. I have read other posts about problems with udev but the tips given there didn't help me.

The processor is an Intel core i7 3770 and the motherboard model is Asrock Z77 Pro4-m. If you need any further information please let me know.

Thank you . Regards.
Jesus.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. When Booting is the USB Drive Plugged in?
2. Have you tried referring to devices without their UUID?

Please Post:
1. /etc/fstab
2. /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: udev/filesystems fail on boot Reply with quote

Lohengrin wrote:
Ctrl+Alt+Del or the chassis reset button didn't even work (I need to hold the power on button for a few seconds to halt the computer).

That sounds like a (severe) hardware issue. The reset button on an x86 should work instantly no matter what state the OS is in.
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyoung100 wrote:
1. When Booting is the USB Drive Plugged in?

No, when booting the USB drive is unplugged. The system freezes regardless of whether it is plugged in or not.

eyoung100 wrote:
2. Have you tried referring to devices without their UUID?

Yes, I initially tried referring directly to the devices just with /dev/sd**. The reason of using UUID is to avoid issues on the order in which Grub identifies the disks.

/etc/fstab:
/dev/sdb1       /boot           ext2            defaults,noatime        0 2
/dev/sdb2       none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/sdb3       /               ext4            noatime                 0 1

/dev/sda2       /mnt/win7       ntfs-3g         noauto,noatime,ro       0 0

/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,user             0 0

/boot/grub/grub.conf:
default 0
timeout 5

title Gentoo Linux 3.7.10
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.7.10-gentoo root=/dev/sdb3
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on masters and gurus, any clue? I have also tried with Pappy's kernel seeds but the system freezes as well, now on "Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC]" after a few seconds on "Waiting for uevents to be processed ...".

Shall I modify any init script to get a verbose/debug output in order to have more information about what's going wrong?

Here I let you some info:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
http://bpaste.net/show/82733/

lspci -v
http://bpaste.net/show/82735/

.config
http://bpaste.net/show/82739/
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to Agree with Ant P on some sort of Hardware Failure. There are a few things we can try:
1. Create a GParted LiveCD either on USB or a burnable CD. Use it to Check/Verify your partitions. If the Verify Fails, it s a hardware failure. If the verify completes, proceed to item 2.
2. Visit Memtest86+, and burn another ISO. This time test your Computers RAM.

If both tests pass, we have a mis-configred kernel, or some other issue
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyoung100, thank you for your feedback. I am afraid you and Ant P. are right: it seems to be a hardware issue. I ran the GParted amd64 LiveCD and at some point when booting I get something like this:

Code:
[  34.005694] ata7.00: exception Emask 0x52 SAct 0x0 SErr 0xffffffff action 0xe frozen
[  34.005552] ata7: SError: { RecovData RecovComm UnrecovData Persist Proto HostInt PHYRdyChg PHYInt CommWake 10B8B Dispar BadCRC Handshk LinkSeq TrStaTrns UnrecFIS DevExch }
[  34.005694] ata7.00: failed command: IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
[  34.005744] ata7.00: cmd a1/00:01: 00: 00:00/00:00: 00:00:00/00 tag 0 pio 512 in
[  34.005745]          res 40/00:00: 00: 00:00/00:00: 00:00:00/00 Emask 0x56 (ATA bus error)
[  34.005854] ata7.00: status: { DRDY }
[  34.005903] ata7: hard resetting link

Do you have any idea of what is failing? I ran the GParted LiveCD with the SATA hard drives removed (and of course, the USB drive as well) getting the same.

Last edited by Lohengrin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Looks Like your motherboard HDD Controller chipset is failing...
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, it could be the optical drive or the SATA cable of the optical drive. I will try to run the GParted Live on USB with the optical drive removed. This will tell us what is failing.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lohengrin wrote:
Hopefully, it could be the optical drive or the SATA cable of the optical drive. I will try to run the GParted Live on USB with the optical drive removed. This will tell us what is failing.

If it were the optical drive, GParted wold not have booted, but I'm interested to see the outcome :?:
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) I came across the cause of the problem. Have a look at the following picture.

It is simply the optical drive does not like the two SATA3 connectors marked there in red. I can connect it to any of the other two on the left or to one of the SATA2 ports marked in green successfully. I can connect the HDD to any of the SATA3 ports marked in red without a problem. Gparted Live USB flash drive boots perfectly and so does my Gentoo installation.

Thank you a lot, eyoung100.
krenshala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That still sounds like a controller problem, or at best a damaged SATA port. Either way the fix is a motherboard replacement unless you are comfortable with desoldering the components that need replacing (which most aren't, and not all that are have the tools readily available).

I had a similiar issue with the USB controller for a different brand board. After a while additional ports began failing, so I highly recommend you begin the warranty replacement process (assuming the board/computer is still covered by the store/manufacturer's warranty) to avoid future headaches with this system.
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you for sharing your experience, krenshala. The computer is less than a month, so I will contact my vendor and start the replacement process as soon as possible.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now after your RMA is processed, and you receive your new item, plug each device in the way you had it when you posted your issue here. If the issue occurs again chances are the board was designed this way, and requires you to apply your "fix." If it works and doesn't cause a hang then we were correct in assuming you had a failing piece of hardware.
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

I've been testing and reading around a bit more. I tried the same setup with a different 'sane' optical drive obtaining the same results: I have issues just when plugging the optical drive to SATA3_A0 and SATA3_A1 ports. These are in fact ASMedia ASM1061 ports. The reason is Intel designed the Z77 chipset allowing a maximum of two SATA3 ports, so the other two are controlled by the ASM1061 chipset. The manufacturer of the motherboard recommends to use Intel Z77 SATA ports for bootable devices. If one still wants to boot from ASMedia SATA3 controller, this should be enabled in UEFI, which is disabled by default. This may be the source of problems.

On the other hand, no problem is obtained with the same setup when plugging either the HDD or the SSD to any of the ASMedia ports, this indicating they are working properly. The optical drives worked perfectly when plugged to any Intel Z77 SATA port. Thus, it is likely everything is just fine. Because I have already lost a lot of time I won't start the RMA, even more when the seller is not within my region.

Thank you for your help, really.
Jesus.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: