View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chocrates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: modprobe fglrx no such device Reply with quote

I am doing some graphics programming and i need an opengl 3.3 driver.

I updated this year at some point and the proprietary ati drivers broke my system, so i have been using open source for a while.

I have followed the fglrx wiki instructions and tried to use ati-drivers 12.8,12.11_beta3, 13.1 as well as xorg-server-1.12.4 and xorg-server-1.13 but nothing seems to be working.
My most recent issue with ati-drivers 13.1 and xorg-server 1.12.4 is fglrx will not modprobe.
What are my next steps?

Code:
lspci | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series]

(that was handtyped as I do not have X at the moment, and it just dawned on me that i have putty open in another window....
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: modprobe fglrx no such device Reply with quote

Chocrates wrote:

I updated this year at some point and the proprietary ati drivers broke my system, so i have been using open source for a while.

I have followed the fglrx wiki instructions and tried to use ati-drivers 12.8,12.11_beta3, 13.1 as well as xorg-server-1.12.4 and xorg-server-1.13 but nothing seems to be working.
My most recent issue with ati-drivers 13.1 and xorg-server 1.12.4 is fglrx will not modprobe.
What are my next steps?

Code:
lspci | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series]

(that was handtyped as I do not have X at the moment, and it just dawned on me that i have putty open in another window....

forget about this, the latest driver doesn't support both of you cards, either go to fgrlx 9.something or stay with the opensource one.
Chocrates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: modprobe fglrx no such device Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
Chocrates wrote:

What are my next steps?

Code:
lspci | grep VGA

forget about this, the latest driver doesn't support both of you cards, either go to fgrlx 9.something or stay with the opensource one.

haha yeah, I thought that 13.1 supported older cards again?
I really jist need to link against it, as mesa is only up to opengl 3.1afaik
Ill take a look at catalyst 9, I know i had it working 4 months ago or so.
Chocrates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success.
Revert to xorg-server-1.12.4 and install this binary.
No clue why the packaged version doesn't work, but I emerged that first as well.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocrates wrote:
Success.
Revert to xorg-server-1.12.4 and install this binary.
No clue why the packaged version doesn't work, but I emerged that first as well.

never install pkg outside of the package manager unless you really know what you are doing.

most probably that your pkg is in the x11-overlay.
syn0ptik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anothere question for that.
Could you access tty text terminals if grafiks runs kms?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: