Is there some central channel for announcing package release
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwoodiupui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Is there some central channel for announcing package release Reply with quote

s?

Another bungee-release: yesterday Apache HTTPD 2.4 showed up in 'emerge -up world', I installed it, it noisily failed to start, I discovered and fixed many configuration bits that 2.2->2.4 broke, I got it running well. Today 'emerge -up world' wants to downgrade it to 2.2 again. This may be a good idea, given the significance of some of the changes, and some of the modules not yet stabilized for 2.4. But I made 2.4 run and I'm sticking with it.

But what I actually want to know is whether there is some place I should have been watching to see "$PACKAGE $VERSION to be stabilized tomorrow, watch out for $INCOMPATIBILITIES" ... "$PACKAGE $VERSION will be re-masked due to $REASON". So that I could look around and see what people are doing about such upgrades, *before* they arrive. Things just show up in Portage without any discussion that I know of. I feel that I must have missed someplace where these things are talked about (other than among dev.s) before release.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are usually hundreds of updates to the Portage tree per day, most of them passing without any notice whatsoever. The only thing you should be watching is "eselect news", but this is only used for things where the developers think you need to know something. Most times, they don't think you do. :wink: After the fact, you can check the package's change log.

- John
ainsley31415926
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something?
I look at the package's change log and all I see is "QA: Return ebuild to ~arch."
Where do I see that bit that explains why?
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably in this listing

https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=apache&list_id=1596134

Bugs are generally opened to stabalise packages and you will see problems that other users/devs have encountered
ainsley31415926
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have stumbled even further into the arcane and mysterious relms.
Please excuse me, but what is 1596134, there does not seem to be any bug with that id?
I have also searched the bug list for apache and cant see any mention of the masking of 2.4
Shouldn't I be able to quickly and easily find out why a package has been masked?
sam_i_am
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list of being at the wrong place (at my terminal doing emerge -uD world) at the wrong time (yesterday). Managed to get 2.4.4 working after changing config files, recompiling mod_wsgi and php. So, will be sticking with 2.4.4 for now on this box. The other two boxes will stay on 2.2.x.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: