E-Mail Package Advise
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: E-Mail Package Advise Reply with quote

Ok. The deal is, I am in need of some recommendations on a quality e-mail setup for my gentoo server. Originally, I used qmail, vpopmail, and the likes. I do not seem to see a vpopmail on the portage list, but the vmailmgr portage has been recommended to me. I also see qmail (seems to me to be the base package), qmail-sumo (I dont know what this is, sounds like a huge chinesse wrestler), qmail-pop3d (I assumed this to be a standard qmail package) and a few others. Whats the "TRICK" setup here. WHich packages do I install. I checked the --pretend on just the qmail portage, and it said nothing about qmail-sumo, and when checking the qmail-sumo --pretend, it showed a few other packages and one or two lessfrom the qmail's list. HELP.

The Bottom Line: I want a qmail package that will allow infinate virtual hosts and unlimited virtual pop/imap accts. I would also like webmail, and if possible, a pop-before-auth or smtp-auth system and a virus filtering system for this e-mail package.
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrelmail is a good web-based e-mail package that you can emerge. You'll need PHP. I have it working with Courier-IMAP.

I'm running postfix, and it looks like it has all the options you're looking for - lots of virtual hosts.

I belive there are virus-scanning plugings for exim.

Well, now that I've thrown out the standard (contradictory) options, have fun!
swales
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumo wrestling is a Japanese sport, not a Chinesse [sic] sport.

Try using emerge search pkgname, it will give you a "description", this tells you all about the package.. for instance emerge search qmail-sumo yields "Description: Qmail - merge this package to merge all qmail packages"

There are also recent threads about email in the networking forum.

I'm happily using postfix/courier-imap.
rphillips
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how linux does email :D

I have postfix, IMAP SSL, fetchmail, procmail, squirrel mail over SSL apache and spamassassin setup. With this configuration I can use any IMAP enabled email client at school, at work, and, of course, at home to get all my email... Setup fetchmail as a cron, and you never have to check your email again; everything is downloaded automatically when the cron is executed. When I don't have a mail client handy, I can just browse to my box over SSL and use squirrel mail to access my account. All this functionality for *free*.... simply amazing.
jtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using qmail and imap-uw on an openbsd box to do the same thing. At the time, there were issues between courier-imap and mozilla mail client. I'd give courier-imap another look (and if you're lazy, maybe try the whole courier suite--pop, imap,smtp).

I've also heard good things about cyrus imap, but no ebuild yet...

Jim
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok. The deal is, I am in need of some recommendations on a quality e-mail setup for my gentoo server.

Postfix
Procmail
Fetchmail
Mutt

All four working together = perfection (although ahem, anyone made a Sendmail ebuild yet?). ;-)
lamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Mail Stuff Reply with quote

Exim, Courrier, Squirrelmail

Our exim build supports SMTP-AUTH-TLS out of the box.
teejot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mail Stuff Reply with quote

[quote="lamer"]Exim, Courrier, Squirrelmail

Our exim build supports SMTP-AUTH-TLS out of the box.[/quote]

and amavis for virus scanning and mailfilter for mailfiltering ...
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mail Stuff Reply with quote

lamer wrote:
Exim, Courrier, Squirrelmail

Our exim build supports SMTP-AUTH-TLS out of the box.

Seconded. I have 6 heavily used boxes running the above (one currently is a test gentoo box) and it works great, even on older/slower hardware.
aprodigy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: quality e-mail setup Reply with quote

Quality? Here you go, but I bet that some of those packages are not <ebuild> yet:

- Cyrus IMAP 2.x (no ebuild - know that!)
- Postfix (there's an ebuild)
- Apache / PHP (I bet there is)
- Horde / IMP Webmail (truly the best webmail-solution around)
- pop-before-smtp (works great with postfix and is easy to maintain)
- vacation / procmail (for autoresponding and filtering)
- amavis (for mail virus scanning)

And the overkill is to store all mail relevant information in some kind of database, like mysql or so.

Replex is part of a project that tries to solve it -> freshmeat.net .
But it's german I believe...

hAvE phUn!
mgirard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Email Advise Reply with quote

I am using Qmail / Qmail-scanner / Spam-assassin / Courier-imap. All authentication is done against our LDAP database; no user accounts on the machine at all (it is a mail server, not a bloody user playground).

We are using Horde / Imp / Turba for our webmail / addressbook needs backended by a mysql database. SSL connections ONLY. :D

I am currently working on making gentoo <ebuilds> for Horde, Imp and Turba. I hope to make these available soon (August).

Cheers,
Matt Girard
sfachihome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Email Advise Reply with quote

Hy, I'am trying to install HORDE / IMP but I can't get it...

I use postfix / courier-imap / php / mysql

cu. ml
Konfuzius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Email Advise Reply with quote

mgirard wrote:

I am currently working on making gentoo <ebuilds> for Horde, Imp and Turba. I hope to make these available soon (August).

Have you got some results already? Or some work in progress one could take a look on?

I want to use Horde / IMP as the local mail solution for the company I work for.. Maybe I can help a little..

Marcus
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: