Installing on an iMac 2012?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Installing on an iMac 2012? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been considering to purchase a 27" iMac of the latest (2012) model next year and I wonder if there has been any experience around it already.

I know the 27" version hasn't started shipping yet, but the 21.5" has, so maybe there are one or two around that already have put the better OS on it yet ;)
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a month onwards, are there more people around having this unit and run Linux on it?
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another month later on, another bump.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective ...

I should have made my previous post in this thread rather than the other, anyhow, whats done is done.

To continue, where you left off: so, basically the partition is only on the HDD, and the SSD is entirely co-opted by OSX. My immediate reaction is: single boot (linux), but I assume you don't want to go that route.

As for the other issues involved, I don't think there will be any specific issues with the hardware, Apple components are generally standard. Apple's EFI implimentation has some qwerks, but I don't think there should be any issues booting (though as I stated previously, I wonder were exactly the ESP is placed on the SSD/HDD, and if CoreStorage plays any role in managing it).

I have experience with Apple's (I have a macbook 1,1 but run entirely without the use of OSX), and so may be able to offer some help if you decide to buy one.

best ... khay
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
Q-collective ...

I should have made my previous post in this thread rather than the other, anyhow, whats done is done.

To continue, where you left off: so, basically the partition is only on the HDD, and the SSD is entirely co-opted by OSX. My immediate reaction is: single boot (linux), but I assume you don't want to go that route.

Yeah, running no OS X at all defeats much of the purpose of buying an iMac in the first place (aside for its design).

Quote:
As for the other issues involved, I don't think there will be any specific issues with the hardware, Apple components are generally standard. Apple's EFI implimentation has some qwerks, but I don't think there should be any issues booting (though as I stated previously, I wonder were exactly the ESP is placed on the SSD/HDD, and if CoreStorage plays any role in managing it).

Yes, but I don't expect the EFI to be the biggest issue.

Quote:
I have experience with Apple's (I have a macbook 1,1 but run entirely without the use of OSX), and so may be able to offer some help if you decide to buy one.

Much appreciated :)

Also: I just read (on a Dutch newssite) that Linux 3.9 will get its own SSD caching support. I'm wondering if this will be like Fusion Drive. If so, that would seriously put these purchasing plans in doubt.
mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Thinking about installing gentoo again Reply with quote

It's been a very long time since I played with Gentoo, but I am kicking around the idea. I have an 2011 27 in IMAC,

If I go down this path, It would be a complete install and not a dual boot. I'm thinking about buying a new hard drive and just swapping them out with OSX on one ( in case I want to go backward ) and Gentoo on the other.

Any input on this would be great, Thank you
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: